Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    [/URL]

Here's my weekend car. 06 S2000. This is an older picture, i've lowered it on MCS 2-way remote shocks and 750/700 # springs. Just put a new exhaust on it. I feel like i've waxed/wrenched on it more than i've actually driven it in the 1.5 years i've owned it.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    Here's my weekend car. 06 S2000.
    Beautiful!

I have a 2000 model year S2000 in the same color as your car.

I bought it at 143000 or so miles from a previous owner who was a mechanical engineering graduate, so he knew how to wrench it. He put no decorations on the car. The bodywork is quite roughed up.

• Interior all stripped
    • Roll bar installed
    • AC removed
    • Solid engine mounts
    • Shorter ratio final drive (so the speedo is inaccurate)
    • OEM roof removed, and switched to cheap after-market fake carbon fiber roof (but it's still light!)
    • All roll bars are OEM, but swapped around such that they are from the model year with the softest bar (but still keeping the front/rear assignment unchanged)
    • Springs and shocks are OEM, "new old stock", from that exact model year
    • Wheels and tires are OEM models
    • The car is never washed, unless it's so bad that it stinks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Wow--mine never looked that good, even when I was driving it in the late '70s. I had rust problems pretty early...
    It didn't look so nice in 1997 after 23 winters in New york with salt on the roads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Gorgeous! I lusted after one of those back when I had no place to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlox5 View Post
    [/URL]

Here's my weekend car. 06 S2000. This is an older picture, i've lowered it on MCS 2-way remote shocks and 750/700 # springs. Just put a new exhaust on it. I feel like i've waxed/wrenched on it more than i've actually driven it in the 1.5 years i've owned it.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Put in some work on the chump car, hopefully have the cage done in a few weeks
    Last edited by Terrasmak; 02-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbikes View Post
    Daddywagon
    Still working on this wagon. It now has crown vic police wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbikes View Post
    Still working on this wagon. It now has crown vic police wheels.
    I might powder coat the wheels white.

Darling of The Lounge
    I really like going with the white wheels instead of staying with black.

Progress is slowly moving along on my Datsun 240Z. It's back from the paint shop and now taking up space in the horse stable being pieced back together again. Hopefully it will be done before I'm too old to drive

Your Weekend Car or Project Car-20170421_170204.jpgYour Weekend Car or Project Car-20170422_174710.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice Z! You gonna put triple Weber sidedrafts on it?
    I'd love to have one of those, but they all rusted to oblivion around here about 20 years ago.
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

Ricardo Cabeza

Your Weekend Car or Project Car

Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    My latest addition, that some have probably seen. 1987 Honda CRX former regional champion (driven by a family member) SCCA ITB club racing car, now SCCA FSP/NASA NXE autocross car. I've been competing since October 2012 and won the 2014 regional NXE and FSP championships. I just got done with some winter upgrades including a rebuilt trans, new clutch and pressure plate, new poly bushings, quicker steering rack, stiffer springs all around, and a removable rear spoiler. It's got 13x7 wheels with 225/40/13 r-comp tires, and I think later in the year I'll be upgrading to 13x9 with 255/35/13. I'll also be adding back in the interior and carpet, which were legally removed under ITB rules but need to be in for FSP. I've got an eye toward competing in the national championships in 2016. I was thinking 2015 but I think I need another year to get the car straightened out enough to be competitive. My plans for this season include competing in out of town events so I can get experience on courses by other designers at other locations.
    I've been working on this car lately. I decided it was time to get off the fence - the car can't do double duty as a wheel to wheel racer and autocross and be competitive in either. I decided to go full autocross, since that's mainly what I do with it, plus when I decide to start wheel to wheel racing, I'll get something faster.

I got serious about weight reduction. So far, I've removed about 170 lbs, bringing the weight down to around 1740. Gone are the roll gage, various options the Si has that the HF doesn't (allowable under the UDBD rule), I swapped in a bunch of HF parts (lighter), went back to the CRX brakes from the Integra brakes (added for their superior heat dissipation), removed all emission controls (legal because the car no longer gets driven on public roads), and various other things.

I've gotten most of the easy/cheap weight reduction. I figure there is another 80-90 lbs to be had with some effort/cash, including removing the sunroof (24 lbs), lighter exhaust (15-25 lbs), remove cat (10 lbs), aluminum flywheel (9 lbs, but with additional benefits because it's rotational weight), swap out stock passenger seat for an aluminum racing seat (10 lbs), etc.

Beyond that, it's gets progressively more expensive and I'll have to get more creative. I've seen claims of this model car getting down to 1600#, so there is a lot more to cut.

But even at mid to high 1600s, the weight reduction is roughly the equivalent of adding 13 HP to the car at it's starting weight of 1911 lbs. The big wild card is how the weight reduction and especially the cage removal will affect the handling.

Next after that is building and installing aero (front splitter and rear spoiler).

Longer term plan is to send the blown EW3 out to have it built to SP specs, which will bring it to 110-115 HP. I'll install it with an HF transmission, which has a 58 mph 2nd gear.
    Last edited by Andy69; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:06 PM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Darling of The Lounge
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Nice Z! You gonna put triple Weber sidedrafts on it?
    I'd love to have one of those, but they all rusted to oblivion around here about 20 years ago.
    This is my 5th 240Z, and I plan to keep it as stock as possible. Albeit maybe a wheel and tire upgrade because finding good 14-inch performance tires are becoming problematic. I was fortunate to find a solid car to work with. Other than a dime-size spot of surface rust on the driver side dogleg, it was pretty much clean.

Values are on the uptick, which is a mixed blessing. There's a good chance to recover some restoration costs (if I sell it), but it also means NOS parts are getting more expensive and harder to come by.

Why Are Datsun 240Zs Shooting Up in Value? - The Drive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just completed last month. Zero to 60 in 2.4 sec. - no brakes

photo jawa done.jpg

Former 7-time USA speedway national champion bike.

photo IR_MikeBast1_PatBrady.jpg
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Just completed last month. Zero to 60 in 2.4 sec. - no brakes

photo jawa done.jpg

Former 7-time USA speedway national champion bike.

photo IR_MikeBast1_PatBrady.jpg
    Nice,
    I worked on alot of Weslakes before we got a GM.
    Mike Bast?

We have met the enemy...
    Topical bump--I've been looking half-seriously at a weekend/fun car. Poking around looking at Miatas (and Porsches).

I cannot believe what has happened to the price of Porsches!
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

Ricardo Cabeza
    Topical bump--I've been looking half-seriously at a weekend/fun car. Poking around looking at Miatas (and Porsches).

I cannot believe what has happened to the price of Porsches!
    I think like 5 years ago my brother was talking about selling his 1971 911. I made him promise he would call me first. He ended up not selling it then but recently he was talking about it again and I had to tell him don't worry about giving me first chance. In that short time the price went from mid 20s to mid 50s. I have the $, but I'd have to sell some stuff, get hit with a tax bill, etc etc. Who knows when the market will drop out.

It's a really nice survivor car in the light green color. He bought in early, I think he paid $7k
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Nice,
    I worked on alot of Weslakes before we got a GM.
    Mike Bast?
     photo 20160501_150604.jpg

Topical bump.

I spoke to Mike and he felt the odds were good this was one of his former bikes. It was originally conceived to go in the bed of my custom '56 Ford F-100 fun car for shows, but the Speedway bike got sidetracked while I built the Square-barrel Maico.

Now the F-100 is in private collection in Japan. The Maico in a private Las Vegas museum. The Weslake in the Living Room and my new fun auto is being put together.

Looking back over the decades lots of projects but the best is now owned by Jay Leno. But that's another story.
    I am 100% convinced the internet and social media are not the salvation to human civility.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I think like 5 years ago my brother was talking about selling his 1971 911. I made him promise he would call me first. He ended up not selling it then but recently he was talking about it again and I had to tell him don't worry about giving me first chance. In that short time the price went from mid 20s to mid 50s. I have the $, but I'd have to sell some stuff, get hit with a tax bill, etc etc. Who knows when the market will drop out.

It's a really nice survivor car in the light green color. He bought in early, I think he paid $7k
    Sounds perfect--we tried to convince the person we were buying our house in Seattle from to leave the 1972 Porsche 912--but she didn't bite.

Early '70s 911 though--light, fast and fun.

For a while I was fired up about the 964s (1989-1993)--fairly modern but also still air-cooled. Because they had a few problems (and people were jumping on the water cooled 993s) the 964s were cheap for time. I even bought the Bentley manual in anticipation of a bargain. Then the recession hit, lots of time not working, two mortgage payments (etc) and that chance vanished.

Now, nondescript ones are $30k...

Missed that bus I'm afraid...
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

Ricardo Cabeza
    Sounds perfect--we tried to convince the person we were buying our house in Seattle from to leave the 1972 Porsche 912--but she didn't bite.

For a while I was fired up about the 964s (1989-1993)--fairly modern but also still air-cooled. Because they had a few problems (and people were jumping on the water cooled 993s) the 964s were cheap for time. I even bought the Bentley manual in anticipation of a bargain. Then the recession hit, lots of time not working, two mortgage payments (etc) and that chance vanished.

I've missed lots of buses. The M3 bus is picking up speed but still slow enough to jump on.

The bus I'm missing now is racing. Money is a bit tight these days and will be until the rest of my irons start to warm up. Ive been relegated to buying used racing tires

SuperAndy's Garage

Avid smart-ass
    71 Triumph TR6 and a 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 vert. The TR6 pulls double duty as a garage table for bike bits n' pieces.
    Last edited by Pete in MD; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:08 PM.
    2015 Specialized Diverge Expert Carbon
    2015 Scott Solace 30

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't believe all the pics that have been lost due to photobucket not allowing 3rd party linking anymore.
    Still have my 93 Cobra, going on 19 years now, don't even put 100 miles/yr on it anymore.
    Your Weekend Car or Project Car-dsc_0444_zpsszivvqro.jpg
    Last edited by upstateSC-rider; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:05 PM.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

T K
    wasssabi
    I[ATTACH=CONFIG]319670[/ATTACH
    Can't wait to get it on the road, crank up some Judas Priest and feel like I'm back in high school.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-image.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member

The one to get now is a manual transmission 997 or 997 Turbo. They have probably hit the bottom of the depreciation curve and will start going back up soon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    The one to get now is a manual transmission 997 or 997 Turbo. They have probably hit the bottom of the depreciation curve and will start going back up soon.
    Are those the ones that have the camshaft bearing that goes bad, and takes the entire engine with it?
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Are those the ones that have the camshaft bearing that goes bad, and takes the entire engine with it?
    Yep. But I think was sorted out for the 997.2. But there also an easy retrofit to avoid it

Buying a used Porsche 997? Here’s what you need to know | Revolution Porsche

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456