Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I've been working on this car lately. I decided it was time to get off the fence - the car can't do double duty as a wheel to wheel racer and autocross and be competitive in either. I decided to go full autocross, since that's mainly what I do with it, plus when I decide to start wheel to wheel racing, I'll get something faster.

I got serious about weight reduction. So far, I've removed about 170 lbs, bringing the weight down to around 1740. Gone are the roll gage, various options the Si has that the HF doesn't (allowable under the UDBD rule), I swapped in a bunch of HF parts (lighter), went back to the CRX brakes from the Integra brakes (added for their superior heat dissipation), removed all emission controls (legal because the car no longer gets driven on public roads), and various other things.

I've gotten most of the easy/cheap weight reduction. I figure there is another 80-90 lbs to be had with some effort/cash, including removing the sunroof (24 lbs), lighter exhaust (15-25 lbs), remove cat (10 lbs), aluminum flywheel (9 lbs, but with additional benefits because it's rotational weight), swap out stock passenger seat for an aluminum racing seat (10 lbs), etc.

Beyond that, it's gets progressively more expensive and I'll have to get more creative. I've seen claims of this model car getting down to 1600#, so there is a lot more to cut.

But even at mid to high 1600s, the weight reduction is roughly the equivalent of adding 13 HP to the car at it's starting weight of 1911 lbs. The big wild card is how the weight reduction and especially the cage removal will affect the handling.

Next after that is building and installing aero (front splitter and rear spoiler).

Longer term plan is to send the blown EW3 out to have it built to SP specs, which will bring it to 110-115 HP. I'll install it with an HF transmission, which has a 58 mph 2nd gear.
    I haven't done much more to the car, but I have taken it out to a few events to test the changes.

It handles.... differently. It's a lot less tail happy, so it has less rotation, but it turns in better. I can't tell if it handles better yet, because the tires I have are absolute junk. They are of unknown age and rock hard. Still, at the annual charity autocross at MIR, which is always a fast course, I finished right about the top third, which is strong for what was basically a half lap of the track and a lot of Corvettes. I only lifted in two places, and there simply were not enough twisties to make up for the speed differential in the straights.

Things it needs in addition to the above are adjustments to the weight distribution, new Hoosiers (which will knock about 3 seconds off my time on a 60 second course), some sort of stiffening to make up for the loss of the cage. Hard to do, since there are no front strut braces available that can be used with camber plates. It also needs suspension upgrades (also tough to do because of parts availability), and of course the new engine.

RIght now, the car is disabled. I broke the shift linkage at the last event. It's stuck in 1 1/2 gear, so not sure what that's about. The pin connecting the rod to the transmission fell out, and it's no longer available new, so not sure what I'm going to do. That's what's going to ultimately retire this car - parts availability.

I'm shopping around for a 944 Spec for wheel to wheel racing, too. The Honda just isn't fast enough.

In the meantime, I've been working on my Chevelle. It's ready for primer and high build, I'm just waiting for the weather to get warm enough. I should have color sometime this spring.

As soon as I get color on the convertible, I'm going to start prepping the Healey for resto. I've going to farm out a lot of the work, rather than do it myself. I've already got one project car going on 12 years now. I want this one done sooner rather than later.

Your Weekend Car or Project Car-fall-2017.jpg
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

banned
    Jan 2011
    I recently added a new toy to the stable:

1962 Mini Cooper Mk1 brought up to Cooper S spec.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked this one up last spring. 1976 BMW 2002. Picking away at it a bit at a time. I just located a replacement frame rail (the rainbow unicorn of 2002 parts) through a guy on the BMW2002FAQ forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Here's a few of my weekend project cars that I slapped together
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-madmaxfuryroad-247-ft.jpg  
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

Darling of The Lounge
    A few years ago, I sold my normally aspirated 1993 Toyota MR2 and purchased a Mini Cooper S. The Cooper S was nice, but I really missed the little Toyota. I sold the Mini and went on the hunt for another MR2.

I found this 1993 Turbo for sale in another state and dropped coin on it. Other than a few suspension mods, it's a stock example. The only recent work to it was flushing out all the engine coolant and replacing it Evans Waterless. It was pricey, but it will never need to be flushed again for the life of the car.

Your Weekend Car or Project Car-20171027_123658.jpg

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post
    I picked this one up last spring. 1976 BMW 2002. Picking away at it a bit at a time. I just located a replacement frame rail (the rainbow unicorn of 2002 parts) through a guy on the BMW2002FAQ forum.

My god, those bumpers!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    My god, those bumpers!
    Commonly known as Diving Platforms. They'll get modified at such time as we get into the bodywork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy View Post
    My god, those bumpers!
    Those bumpers were required to sale in the US.. stupid NHTSA requirements ruined many a beautiful car Same reason those old Porsches had those giant black rubber bumpers on the front of the cars

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Here's mine.
    2017 Nissan 370Z Sport, supercharged, air to air intercooled, E85, KW V3 coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, Nitto NT05 tires. 540whp/470ft lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-sscn0786.jpg  
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Boobies!
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Here's mine.
    2017 Nissan 370Z Sport, supercharged, air to air intercooled, E85, KW V3 coilovers, Hotchkis sway bars, Nitto NT05 tires. 540whp/470ft lbs.
    Schweet! Bet you can light 'em up with that kind of HP!
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Schweet! Bet you can light 'em up with that kind of HP!
    The first three gears, anytime you want.
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    Those bumpers were required to sale in the US.. stupid NHTSA requirements ruined many a beautiful car Same reason those old Porsches had those giant black rubber bumpers on the front of the cars
    The good thing is that it's fixable. On the 2002 you can drill out the shock absorbers behind the bumpers and collapse them, or remove the front bumper altogether. Not planning to hit anything, after all.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Progress is slowly moving along on my Datsun 240Z....
    I've always wanted to do a Datsun 510 after seeing this video.

Last edited by Eretz; 02-16-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Boobies!
    Nice--I never got a chance to drive one--but by all reports, a well-balanced and good handling car. The thing I find about new cars is that you are insulated from feedback...

Our newish Acura TSX wagon has a combo of drive by wire steering and the worst combination of mushy struts/shocks and (?) spring rates. This is the one that was a reworked Euro Accord wagon, and I think they softened it up for the Amurican market, because I would not drive it as it stands at speed on the Autobahn. It makes me miss the Volvo it replaced, even though that one had 170k--direct steering with just enough assist, and a bit of banging on the suspension on the rough roads around here, but you always knew where you were in time and space...

Those 80s cars are still authentic IMO, but maybe we're all getting to be geezers--hell, I'm back looking at Porsche 944s again.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I recently added a new toy to the stable:

1962 Mini Cooper Mk1 brought up to Cooper S spec.

what is the rack you hang your bike off? Nice looking mini you have there. They go round corners really well eh?

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    what is the rack you hang your bike off? Nice looking mini you have there. They go round corners really well eh?

SeaSucker Talon Bike Rack l Shadeonme.com

Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRogers View Post

Very Nice.
    I had a few of these back in the 70's, 80's, 90's. Probably still have parts hanging around. Sold my last one, a 74 2002tii in the late 90's. I loved those cars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Mine was Sienna Brown, but I had it repainted to Arctic Blue in 1980 after a fender bender in the snows of VT. Ended up doing a total Korman stage 1 engine rebuild at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Weekend Car or Project Car-p1010011.jpg  

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post

As above, it's the Seersucker Talon rack. Yeah, the Mini is like a gokart in how it goes around corners, it moves around a lot too, so makes it a lot of fun

Darling of The Lounge
    I love those old BMWs.

My dad owned a dark metallic blue 1974(?) 3.0 CS back in the mid 1980s.

I really wish he held on to it

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by troutmd View Post
    Just completed last month. Zero to 60 in 2.4 sec. - no brakes

photo jawa done.jpg

Former 7-time USA speedway national champion bike.

photo IR_MikeBast1_PatBrady.jpg
    My heart skips a beat every time I see your restoration of that bike. I could stare at it for hours.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I love those old BMWs.

All beautiful examples. One of my favourites below.

Last edited by Eretz; 02-18-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    -

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    My heart skips a beat every time I see your restoration of that bike. I could stare at it for hours.
    It's the pick-up truck and that bike that made me. He did a brilliant job.
    -

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love those old BMWs.

The mechanic who has been doing the work on my 2002 has a gorgeous 3.0 CS, white with M Sport stripes, for sale. I wish he'd move the thing so I could stop thinking about it. One of my favorite cars of all time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    There are some nice cars in this thread. Some day I'd like to have a fun car that I can tinker with. It would probably be more of a rat-rod type thing, as that way I can drive it and not have to obsess over keeping it clean at all. If I had a nice classic car, I fear keeping it clean would eventually put me in the funny farm.

Until then, my project is a 1983 Ford Ranger with the Pinto engine and 4 speed. I bought it to use for my commute so my son could have my 2003 Taurus (new driver), and I can carry my bike protected from the elements and sticky fingers for riding after work in the summer. My youngest son named it the 'Brown Bomber.' It belonged to a high school kid and had only a glasspack with a turndown in front of the rear axle for exhaust.

It burned a hole in a piston a couple weeks after I bought it so I did a complete rebuild of the engine. The nuts on the carb studs had loosened and the carb was pretty loose. I think it leaned way out and probably most of the damage was done on the ride home. I've resurrected a bunch of small engines (snowmobiles, motorcycles, etc.) bit this was my first time rebuilding a car engine. I like learning and keeping my hands busy so this is what I do instead of TV and socializing, especially in the winter. I also had to repair the rusted through roof skin near the top corners of the windshield. The pic below is as I got it, with the bondo-ed roof. It's white now.

Your Weekend Car or Project Car-img_0227.jpg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast