Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    HELL ON WHEELS

Your Weekend Car or Project Car

Well I'm thinking about taking on my first project car, nothing big do to my budget, I was thinking Mazda Miata and turning into a track car because I want to start attending track days.

Anyways that made me curious about what kind of project cars and fun/weekend cars members on this forum are driving or working on.
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

my summertime ride

2006 MX5 touring model in black.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I have a Caterham 7 Superlight R
    Also had a 1967 Lotus Elan that I had restored with my father about 15 years ago, but had to sell it

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    check out the spec e30 series

HELL ON WHEELS
    I'd love to do an BMW E30, I love older BMW's and Porsche's, but I think build/tracking one would be to costly. I haven't settle on the Miata, still looking at other possibility's.

That Caterham 7 Superlight is a sweet ride, did you get it as a kit or built?

Feel free to post pics
    Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

Not a climber
    4 years ago when I bought my Jeep

Recently

T K
    wasssabi
    '69 bug.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Weekend project car... Mazda miata.... track days...

This is all sounding very familiar... (OK well I don't own it)
    For the better part of a year and a half to two years I have been crewing/building/repairing a miata for/with an amateur race team.

If you can get past the whole "chick" thing (which I am betting you can... as you wear spandex) they are really phenomenal cars for the task. Tons of support, tons of knowledge and tons of places to race.

They do pretty well at a verity of levels in NASA racing, and if nothing else spec miata will give you a huge community to race with if your willing to restrict yourself to their prep level.

*cough* http://www.facebook.com/rj.racing *cough*
    Its been a great car... Other then finishing off a few very old, very worn transmission this season reliability has been great. We routinely put it through three hour races and last December it finished the 25 hours of thunderhill first in class with almost no issues through out the whole 25 hours of abuse.

Having said that I loves me some 7. Do that :P Look up the stalker kits.
    Last edited by scryan; 01-09-2012 at 11:27 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex_BMC View Post
    I'd love to do an BMW E30, I love older BMW's and Porsche's, but I think build/tracking one would be to costly. I haven't settle on the Miata, still looking at other possibility's.

That Caterham 7 Superlight is a sweet ride, did you get it as a kit or built?

Feel free to post pics

Here is a recent snap shot

I bought it already built, but do my own wrenching on it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    2000 C5 Corvette, 6sp Manual, basically stock, 28k Mi

Not doing much working or driving currently, as it is under wraps in a garage, waiting for spring.

Toying with the notion of upgrading the suspension next summer, along with a new air intake.

We have met the enemy...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Here is a recent snap shot

I bought it already built, but do my own wrenching on it

I heart these--I tried to talk my Dad into buying one that was in pieces back in the day and build it up as a father-son project--it was an original Lotus super 7 with the Cosworth ford motor--somehow Dad didn't bite.

I think he may have been right and I probably would have wrecked, but hardly a day doesn't go by without me having regrets that we didn't get a chance to do a car together....
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

Ricardo Cabeza
    Just about ready to put this body back on the chassis. Been working on it since 2006. It's been a long road but I've finally started to reassemble the car. I hope to have it drivable by this summer. It's going to be Garnet Red with a black top and interior.

I've upgraded the suspension with adjustable rear upper control arms, corrected the geometry of the front suspension with a kit from SC&C, new crate 350 (330 hp, 410 lb/ft), close ratio steering, Pontiac nodular 3.55 limited slip rear, 4 speed auto with overdrive, etc etc. Should be a very fun

What I started with:

what it will look like:

Last edited by Andy69; 01-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Beetpull DeLite
    I don't have one, but I want one.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Remember the twice rule on projects like this- "It will actually take twice as long and cost twice as much as you budgeted for"
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    Remember the twice rule on projects like this- "It will actually take twice as long and cost twice as much as you budgeted for"
    :noway:

from a guy who has done this before, it's closer to 3x
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

1974 mgb

I have a 1974 MGB. I love it. Daily driver when weather is good. Old cars need to be driven.

Good news everyone!

These are my two "project" vehicles. Kinda getting bored with the Jeep and wanting something more streetable these days for towing the boat on longer distance trips. I burned 80 dollars in fuel getting about 14 MPG towing the boat to the coast a couple of weekends ago. It's not stellar but not bad for an old truck with a vacuum leak somewhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    1936 chevy coupe. when i got it 6 years ago it was just a body. custom frame, front and rear suspension, 289 V-8 with 350 turbo trani, rear end out of a 1989 suburban, custom mustang 2 front end. not drivable yet but one day it will be sweet!!!!. 3x for me is not true its more like holy crap i no wonder i have no money this thing takes it all. but cant wait to show it off one day

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman89 View Post
    1936 chevy coupe. when i got it 6 years ago it was just a body. custom frame, front and rear suspension, 289 V-8 with 350 turbo trani, rear end out of a 1989 suburban, custom mustang 2 front end. not drivable yet but one day it will be sweet!!!!. 3x for me is not true its more like holy crap i no wonder i have no money this thing takes it all. but cant wait to show it off one day
    I hear ya. I've had to revamp my plans a bit (like, do I really need the $1300 aftermarket AC?). I've taken to refurbing a lot of parts I would normally replace to save money. I spent a good amount of time over the holiday break sanding the scratches out of the plastic lenses on the car and repairing and recoating the aluminum trim. My labor is free.

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    My track toy and the first "thing" I sacraficed for the benifit of another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    My labor is free.
    man i dont even want to think about how many 1,000s of dollars i would have in labor if someone else was working on mine.
    heres a pic of where im at after 6 years
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Master debator.
    My weekend "car" is a sportbike, because dollar for dollar you can't approach the speed or acceleration of a crotch rocket with most production cars.
    Track days are fun, no matter what the ride. I'd love to do a track day with a fast car sometime.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    This is my Daddy Wagon. The plan is to convert to 5.0 5 spd mustang powertrain along with Cobra mustang brakes & suspension.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman89 View Post
    man i dont even want to think about how many 1,000s of dollars i would have in labor if someone else was working on mine.
    heres a pic of where im at after 6 years
    keep plugging away, you'll get there soon enough.

ya, I feel for these guys who don't do their own work. they get seriously ripped. I have probably 10k+ in metalwork if I had taken it to a body shop.

SuperAndy's Garage

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by nelzbikes View Post
    This is my Daddy Wagon. The plan is to convert to 5.0 5 spd mustang powertrain along with Cobra mustang brakes & suspension.
    now THAT would be a cool ride.

SuperAndy's Garage

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast