RoadBikeReview Member

American Classic Aero 3, Mavic SLS or custom?

So I treated myself to a new Bianchi Infinto. First road bike upgrading from a hybrid. Looking to upgrade wheels from the Fulcrum 7 that came with the bike. The Fulcrums are a little porky at 1849 grams. I'm looking for a lighter wheel, good for climbing, able to handle less than perfect pavement. I do a lot of climbing here in New Hampshire. In fact not too many long stretches before hitting some sort of hill. At this point no racing only recreational rides. In season I was averaging 2 commutes / week (14 miles round trip). Weekend rides average 25 miles but hoping to do longer rides. I weigh 200 lbs currently but have lost 15 lbs and plan on losing another 15-20 lbs this coming season. My LBS recommended Mavic Kysrium SLS because he rides them himself and sells a lot locally and feels they hold up really well to rough roads around here. I also would like some style to the wheels and like the looks of the American Classic 420 aero 3 in white. My budget is around $1000 or less. I've done a ton searches on these two choices and custom wheels but honestly a little overwhelmed. No experience with custom wheels or even what to look for? Can someone build a custom wheel for that range or less with some style (white rims, or hubs, graphics?) Are custom a better value than factory wheel sets ?
    Last edited by Tspeters; 02-05-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Online Wheel Builder
    The Ksyriums that your shop recommended will leave you stuck with a wheelset that is comprised entirely of proprietary parts. When something breaks, your going to be out of a wheelset for a few weeks while your shop hops in line for a Mavic warranty claim.
    With that said, you could build much lighter than the Fulcrum or Mavic.
    You could go with Kinlin XR270 rims and lace them to Tune Mig 70/Mag 170 hubs (both of which come in white). That would be a solid all around wheelset that could definitely take some abuse.

That would be under 1400 grams within your price range.

Domestic Drivin' E-Thug
    Aug 2002
    Zen won't toot his own horn, but that doesn't mean that others can't. You should really check out his website. Admittedly, I went with a slightly cheaper option than what he offers when I recently purchased wheels, but he really offers some gorgeous, quality wheels that, for the price, seem like a much better bargain than American Classics, a wheelset that I have owned twice in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen Cyclery View Post
    The Ksyriums that your shop recommended will leave you stuck with a wheelset that is comprised entirely of proprietary parts. When something breaks, your going to be out of a wheelset for a few weeks while your shop hops in line for a Mavic warranty claim.
    With that said, you could build much lighter than the Fulcrum or Mavic.
    You could go with Kinlin XR270 rims and lace them to Tune Mig 70/Mag 170 hubs (both of which come in white). That would be a solid all around wheelset that could definitely take some abuse.

That would be under 1400 grams within your price range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I took a look at Zen's website..very nice! I am still trying to learn about components. Are the Kimlin XR270 27mm deep? The description says a lighter version of the XR300 which is 30mm. Just making an assumption. I liked the looks of the AC Areo 3 but at 34mm they do look a little deep for my needs. Less deep is OK. What makes a good climbing wheel? Something light so they spin up easy? Does the lightness affect the decent speed or compromise handling?

Online Wheel Builder
    Thanks for taking a peek at our site!

The XR270 is 27mm deep. It is a relatively versatile rim, and is only $55 per hoop.

With regards to your question about a climbing wheel, here is my take. A climbing wheelset will benefit from running a lighter rim. Not because it will make you faster necessarily, but because it will provide a more responsive feel upon acceleration. With that said, going with too light of a rim can start to give the wheels a twitchy ride quality which is something that I really dont like, all though some would disagree.

All in all, I really think its really about finding a solid middleground. A rim that is relatively light, yet still will give you some aero capabilities when you need them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for taking a peek at our site!

The XR270 is 27mm deep. It is a relatively versatile rim, and is only $55 per hoop.

With regards to your question about a climbing wheel, here is my take. A climbing wheelset will benefit from running a lighter rim. Not because it will make you faster necessarily, but because it will provide a more responsive feel upon acceleration. With that said, going with too light of a rim can start to give the wheels a twitchy ride quality which is something that I really dont like, all though some would disagree.

All in all, I really think its really about finding a solid middleground. A rim that is relatively light, yet still will give you some aero capabilities when you need them.
    How are the Tune Mig 70/Mag 170 hubs to service? Do they use cartridge bearings? Any advantage to consider ceramic bearings over SS?

Online Wheel Builder
    The Tunes are relatively easy to pull apart, but they are no where near like a White Industries or King.
    I wouldn't recommend going with ceramic bearings though. They have advantages, none of which would ever be utilized on a bicycle. That is, unless Edgar is powering you along making you spin at 1,000,000 rpms.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Tunes are relatively easy to pull apart, but they are no where near like a White Industries or King.
    No way near in what way?

Online Wheel Builder
    Sorry I should have clarified. They are relatively simple to open up. Replacing parts is a different story though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Get the aero 3s

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry I should have clarified. They are relatively simple to open up. Replacing parts is a different story though.
    So from a serviceablility point of view are Kings or White hubs a better choice even though a small weight penalty disadvantage. If you as a pro builder say replacing parts is difficult how much of a challenge would it be for a mechanically inclined lay person to service the Tunes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warpdatframe View Post
    Get the aero 3s
    A little more info please. Why would the AC Aero 3 be a better choice over Mavic or custom? Price, performance, reliability, serviceability, looks?