RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013

Mavic Aksium Race wheels for Junior 'Cross Racing??

I'm a Newbie here, but I've got a wheel question.
    I'm building up a 'cross bike for my 11 year old son, using a Scatto Junior frame from Europe. One idea I had was to take the Mavic Aksium Race wheels from my Focus road bike and put them on this 'cross bike, then get a newer/nicer/lighter set of wheels for my Focus.

What do you think? Wills these wheels hold up to cross racing? My son is only ~100 lbs, and the cross races around SE Michigan are usually pretty smooth. Thoughts?

"El Bwana"
    They will work fine.

Beware, however, there will be a time when your son starts getting better equipment than you.

Quote Originally Posted by reedgmi View Post
    I'm a Newbie here, but I've got a wheel question.
    I'm building up a 'cross bike for my 11 year old son, using a Scatto Junior frame from Europe. One idea I had was to take the Mavic Aksium Race wheels from my Focus road bike and put them on this 'cross bike, then get a newer/nicer/lighter set of wheels for my Focus.

What do you think? Wills these wheels hold up to cross racing? My son is only ~100 lbs, and the cross races around SE Michigan are usually pretty smooth. Thoughts?
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Yes aksiums are tanks, 200 pound weekend warriors ride them all the time with no problem.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I raced a set all season and could not for the love of god destroy them...I actually picked up 2 more sets for spares. I even ran a set of them @ Iron Cross this year. For a wheel that can be picked up on Craigslist for 150 bucks a set in near new condition I'll prolly continue running them for a long time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I was half way through reading the last reply and my son said "DAD, Stop. Dad, Stop - those are my wheels now".

Done deal - thanks for the advice.

Now I can start shopping for a nice set of road wheels for myself ...

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    My 11 yr old raced on Zipp 404 tubulars last season; if you really love him, you'll get him good wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Man, the stakes are high around here.
    I'm still in denial about the comment "Beware, however, there will be a time when your son starts getting better equipment than you"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    not all of us are independently wealthy.

"El Bwana"
    Quote Originally Posted by pmt View Post
    My 11 yr old raced on Zipp 404 tubulars last season; if you really love him, you'll get him good wheels.
    What kind of father are you? If you loved him, you'd get him custom Lightweights.

Name:  Lightweights.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  49.7 KB
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"