Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Corsa 01 or Strada OS?

Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before but I've got a chance to buy one of two 54cm steel framed Eddy Merkx classics.

One is a 1998 Corsa 01 with a carbon Time fork (currently fitted) together with the original steel one. It's fitted out with Chorus 9 speed and Mavic open SUP clinchers. The condition of the paintwork is superb with no scratches or dents. However the paintscheme is not really to my taste, it's red with yellow scroll details but I could live with it.

The other is a Strada OS in a nicer colour, a lovely yellow but the components are not so good, Mirage 8 speed. However the owner is not asking so much for this one. Although the prices aren't that far apart. I'm not sure what the wheels are or the year of manufacture either.

Both are within my budget, what do you all think would be the better bike considering that I'm 5'10" and 171 pounds or 1m78 and 78 kg? Both are 54cm.

Thanks in advance

John
    Bruges, Belgium
    Last edited by nikralnhoj; 06-09-2010 at 01:55 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    What the heck. I will jump in here with what I know. Both frames are made with what I think are similar quality tubing: Brain tubing, OS on the strada, Deda Uno on the corsa, so I think the framesets should be pretty close. So it comes down to color and components.

If you love the color of the Strada so much that you would always look at the corsa and wish it was another color then get the Strada. Components can be be upgraded.

Or get both, switch the components and sell the other. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Many thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a little more input but many thanks for yours.
    It seems that the seller with the Strada OS wants to try asking for more now, thinking that it's something extra special. So it looks like I'll be going for the Corsa 0.1 with the better components. Whichever I do end up getting I'll certainly post a pic on this forum. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    Maybe others will post yet. I don't post much here but yours was an interesting dilemma. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Corsa 01 is a newer model with better tubing. The components are better, plus it costs less. Seems like a no brainer.

BTW, I have a Corsa 01 with perhaps the same color scheme. I wasn't wild about the color scheme initially, but it grows on you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    Corsa 01 is a newer model with better tubing. The components are better, plus it costs less. Seems like a no brainer.

BTW, I have a Corsa 01 with perhaps the same color scheme. I wasn't wild about the color scheme initially, but it grows on you.
    I'm not sure how much I can get the Strada OS for, it seems like the seller could be backing down a bit now. However I've got a price that I won't go above and if I can get it for that price or less I think it could be worth it.

However, you're right about the Corsa 01 being a newer bike, although how much better would it be than the Strada OS? The Corsa will be a couple of hundred (€) Euros more.

I've enclosed a pic of the potential Corsa 01 purchase, as you can see it's worse than your paint scheme. Maybe it'll look better with a different colour saddle, bar-tape and bottle carriers!

Thanks for your input!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corsa 01 or Strada OS?-24973260_2.jpg  
    Last edited by nikralnhoj; 06-11-2010 at 08:30 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    I wouldn't say it is a worse color scheme. All red is pretty classic. The white bottle cages is what is killing it. They don't match anything on the bike. And I have never been a fan of that Ritchey seat post is black (in alloy it isn't so ugly). Otherwise it has potential to look very nice. I would replace the black chain ring with a silver one and work on the stem stack so it looks less busy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like that color scheme. Don't you know? Red bikes are faster. Put some black or silver cages on the bike, and some black bar tape, and it would look sharp. Yellow tape always looks nasty after a few rides.

Zero Uno is great tubing, and the Corsa 01 is an under-rated frame in my view, although I am somewhat biased. Everyone raves about the MX Leader but it is overkill for most riders, particularly smaller ones. I have read several knowledgeable reviews that rated the Corsa 01 as one of the best handling steel frames ever. The Zero Uno tubing is ovalized and stiff where it matters.
    Last edited by tarwheel2; 06-11-2010 at 09:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would go with the Corsa 01, even better that he has the original fork. I t will look great with the changes mentioned above.

i like whiskey
    You can't go wrong with either one.

I have a Strada OS and it rides great. I LOVE riding it. If I could find a Corsa in 7-11 livery, I'd buy it.

The red on the Corsa you posted is fine. As has been said, it's the "accessories" that are letting the bike down, aesthetically. I'm not a fan of the carbon fork either, but that's personal preference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've decided to go for the Corsa 0.1 and pick it up tomorrow evening. I'll post some pics when I get it, otherwise any other info would be a great help!

Cheers, John

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikralnhoj
    I'm not sure how much I can get the Strada OS for, it seems like the seller could be backing down a bit now. However I've got a price that I won't go above and if I can get it for that price or less I think it could be worth it.

However, you're right about the Corsa 01 being a newer bike, although how much better would it be than the Strada OS? The Corsa will be a couple of hundred () Euros more.

I've enclosed a pic of the potential Corsa 01 purchase, as you can see it's worse than your paint scheme. Maybe it'll look better with a different colour saddle, bar-tape and bottle carriers!

Thanks for your input!
    Very nice. For me, the first thing I would do is to change it back to the original fork and use a quill stem, maybe a 3TTT Status and matching bars, 3TTT Forma SL. A aluminum Campy seat post would look good too. Then the bike would be in it's original beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-3T...item5ad4ed821d

http://www.repartocorse.com/3ttt-for...handlebars.htm
    Last edited by High Gear; 06-17-2010 at 04:08 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear
    Very nice. For me, the first thing I would do is to change it back to the original fork and use a quill stem, maybe a 3TTT Status and matching bars, 3TTT Forma SL. A aluminum Campy seat post would look good too. Then the bike would be in it's original beauty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-Stock-3T...item5ad4ed821d

http://www.repartocorse.com/3ttt-for...handlebars.htm
    Thanks for the links and tips........................ It actually has 3TTT Forma SL handelbars fitted, funnily enough and the seller swapped the Ritchey seatpost for the beautiful Campy one and I asked him to swap the chain rings to the original Chorus 53/39 too!
    Last edited by nikralnhoj; 06-18-2010 at 03:09 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

I did it...........I bought it!!!

Well, I finally did it........... I went and bought it yesterday evening from a very kind and enthusiast cyclist who recently bought a carbon framed Ridley to replace this one. Here are a few pics of it I took this morning.

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 001

It's fully equipped with Campy Chorus and as you can see the seller swapped a number of items for me namely;

The saddle: a Selle Italia Prolink instead of the Selle Italia Flite.
    The seat-post: Campy aluminium instead of the black Ritchy one.
    The Stem: a BBB 115mm instead of the Ritchy Pro 110mm.
    The Chain-rings: the original Chorus 53/39 set-up instead of the French made black 52/42 set-up.

I might think about swapping the forks back to the original steel 'Merckx' ones and adding a Quill stem but at the moment all I'm going to change is the bottle cages because my money has run out for now and I quite like the look of the bike even with the carbon fork. The yellow bar-tape has grown on me too!

In all I'm very happy with the purchase and the price I paid, I'm just waiting for some nice weather now to get out and ride it.......

Enjoy the pics.

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 008

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 007

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 006

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 005

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 004

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 003

EM Corsa 0.1 17.06.10 002
    Last edited by nikralnhoj; 06-18-2010 at 04:17 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the links and tips........................ It actually has 3TTT Forma SL handelbars fitted, funnily enough and the seller swapped the Ritchey seatpost for the beautiful Campy one and I asked him to swap the chain rings to the original Chorus 53/39 too!
    Sounds great. You are on your way to having a beautiful, sweet riding classic bike. Please post some pics when you are done.

i like whiskey
    Fantastic! Excellent deal you got there. It all looks to be in great condition. The silver post and chainrings make a big difference. Changing back to original fork and a quill would complete the transformation, but it looks great as is too.

And clean that chain!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice. I bet you'll love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002
    Very very nice!!! Congratulations!

Jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Hey John,

I have a similar Corsa 01 with deda tubing and I'm definitely super happy with that one!!!

Being from Belgium aswell I've seen this one for sale too. Glad you swapped the seatpost and crank ... I think you should swap the fork too with the original (chrome?) fork Really a sweet frame to ride our cobblestones...

What color scheme was the Strada?

groetjes,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slotnick
    Hey John,

I have a similar Corsa 01 with deda tubing and I'm definitely super happy with that one!!!

Being from Belgium aswell I've seen this one for sale too. Glad you swapped the seatpost and crank ... I think you should swap the fork too with the original (chrome?) fork Really a sweet frame to ride our cobblestones...

What color scheme was the Strada?

groetjes,

Hey,

Yes it's a fabulous bike, the best I've ever had in fact............. I went out today for a 50 km ride and ended up with doing two rides, including in the rain, just short of 100 km in total. What a fabulous bike!!!! I'm over the moon with it!

Regarding the fork, it came with the original chromed steel one but you've got to draw a line somewhere with the spending (unfortunately). So I'm going to wait until I buy a quill stem before fitting the steel ones, though to be honest I'm well happy with the comfort and styling of the carbon.

The Strada OS was yellow, I've enclosed a pic of it but I'm so glad that I didn't buy it now, I'm really happy with what I've got!

Groetjes.

Here's the Strada O.S. I was considering purchasing..........

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks once again for the replies...............

Yes, I'm absolutely thrilled to bit's with it! It's so easy to ride, surprisingly fast and sooooo comfortable too! I just know I'm going to have a blast riding this through the summer!!!!

It was a real bargain, I can't believe that I got such a bike for the price I paid. I was also considering purchasing a Team SC which was twice the price but glad I bought this instead!

Does anybody want to hazard a guess at how much I paid for it in ? Fellow Belgians are excluded I'm afraid. LOL

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, I'm absolutely thrilled to bit's with it! It's so easy to ride, surprisingly fast and sooooo comfortable too! I just know I'm going to have a blast riding this through the summer!!!!

It was a real bargain, I can't believe that I got such a bike for the price I paid. I was also considering purchasing a Team SC which was twice the price but glad I bought this instead!

Does anybody want to hazard a guess at how much I paid for it in €? Fellow Belgians are excluded I'm afraid. LOL

Cheers
    I'm guessing low, 600 Euros?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by High Gear
    I'm guessing low, 600 Euros?
    A fair bit out........... keep on guessing!

RoadBikeReview Member
    A fair bit out........... keep on guessing!
    700 Euros......

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll put you out of your misery. LOL

I only paid 400 for it............ I imagine that wouldn't even pay for the frame State-side?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast