RoadBikeReview Member

40-60 Mile VA Harrisonburg C-ville Staunton Rides

A friend of mine and I are looking to do a weekday ride (to avoid the tourists) w/ lots of elevation gain, and yet stay within a 4 hour (1-way) commute of Virginia Beach, where things are F-L-A-T.

We don't HAVE to be on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) or Skyline Dr., but that's an option that comes readily to mind for nice views.

We're also looking to stay the night before so as to get an early start, and want something safe, clean, bike-friendly, but yet inexpensive- B&B, Motel 6, Econolodge, etc.

We both are A-pace, averaging 22mph-ish in a paceline in this area. We get left in the dust on A++ (high 20's), but are bored w/ B pace rides.

So, my questions would be:

1) Route recommendations?

2) Lodging recommendations?

3) HEALTHY breakfast restaurants?

3) Is it best to do this kind of a ride in the early morning for the gorgeous sunrise views, or wait a bit for the fog to burn off?

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    IMO the BRP or Skyline drive is an absolute MUST. It will have plenty of climbing. If you really want some major challenges you can drop off the parkway adn climb back up. Most of the entry roads are very steep.

The Inn at Afton is the absolute perfect starting location and meets all you critria except one. Last time I stayed there (2 years ago for the Blue Ridge Extreme) it was an absolute dive! Cheap but not super clean. I would consider staying there again for a trip like you are planning but never agian with family.

It is right on the parkway and you can find all the riding you need from there.

If you are planning on living around here for a while and are considering mountian riding I would suggest you get a book that details the parkway ride.

I have "Bicycling the Blue Ridge" by Elizabeth and Charlie Skinner sitting on my desk as I type.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Livelover,

How dirty would you say it was? I mean, I'm certainly not looking for anything past the "quality" of Econolodge, Motel 6, etc. Just a safe place to sleep, not next to a railroad track (I'll never do that again!)- but was it so bad that there were mice running thru your hair, etc.?

I don't think I'll be getting into MTB'ing anytime soon. Hiking & road biking have already hit this college student's wallet hard enough- but thanks for the advice.

Any entry roads to the Parkway that really stand out in particular?

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lx93
    Livelover,

How dirty would you say it was? I mean, I'm certainly not looking for anything past the "quality" of Econolodge, Motel 6, etc. Just a safe place to sleep, not next to a railroad track (I'll never do that again!)- but was it so bad that there were mice running thru your hair, etc.?

I don't think I'll be getting into MTB'ing anytime soon. Hiking & road biking have already hit this college student's wallet hard enough- but thanks for the advice.

Any entry roads to the Parkway that really stand out in particular?
    We never saw any mice or live bugs, but every room (4 of us there with families) had dead bugs throughout, one tub barely drained, stains on the comforters, etc.

As long as you are not germ phobic and don't plan on spending all day in your room, it's tolerable. My wife may not agree with me but that was my feeling. The location is so good for riding that I would stay there again vice staying in one of the nicer hotels a few miles down the mountian.

Keep in mind that come fall you will have little to no chance at finding rooms anywhere near the Parkway. I suspect you could find some over the next month but even now it maybe a little hit or miss.

The book(s) I was refering to are all for road biking on the Parkway. Mine is tailored more towards full loaded touring but the information (and profiles) is very helpful.

If you were to leave the Inn at Afton (basically BRP mile mark zero) and head south on the BRP you would get to the road that leads to Wintergreen at mile mark 13.5. Highway 664 plunges down to Highway 151. You can also continue to mile mark 27 and barrel down highway 56 to Highway 151. Overall this climb is not as steep as the Wintergreen climb but it's much longer.

If you have never done any steep climbs/decents, I suggest you talk with some of the guys at Fat Frogs first. Many of them have done the TT up Wintergreen in the spring. At 250 lbs I'm not capable of making the steep climbs and don't really want to decend them either. It's a long walk back up in cycling shoes.

P.S. If you don't know what you are getting into and go down Wintergreen, I'll bet money that you end up walking (or bumming a ride) back up.
    Last edited by Lifelover; 08-13-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy