RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

Water points on Skyline Drive

Is this an accurate depiction of water points on Skyline Drive starting from Front Royal?

Mile Location
    5 Dickey Ridge VC
    24 Elk Wallow
    32 Thornton Gap
    36 Pinnacles
    51 Byrd VC

I rode it for the 1st time today and just went to Hogsback as I didn't want to descend to Elk Wallow and climb back up. 3 bottles was just enough for the round trip from Dickey Ridge VC (95 deg today). I would like to go further south but want to make sure there are sufficient water points.

Or is this a site somewhere that lists them all? I assume all of the VCs and bathroom locations listed on the driving map have water (which is where my list above came from)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I don't think there's anything but a campground at Pinnacles. Can't remember. The water at Thornton Gap is sometimes unpotable (there are signs on the restroom.)

You also have Loft Mountain at MP 78 or so. If you get all the way to the end, there's not much there. You might have to ride down into Waynesboro.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimF22003 View Post
    I don't think there's anything but a campground at Pinnacles. Can't remember. The water at Thornton Gap is sometimes unpotable (there are signs on the restroom.)

You also have Loft Mountain at MP 78 or so. If you get all the way to the end, there's not much there. You might have to ride down into Waynesboro.
    Thanks. I looked at the map again, I though I saw a different symbol than I did...though I just now noticed a store at Skyland (mile 43-ish).

I don't see myself going much further south than 51 as I start either from the north entrance or Dickey Ridge VC.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Another nice way to go if you don't mind a little extra climbing is to ride down into Sperryville, or go the other way into Luray. That makes a good turnaround point for a 70 mile ride or so.

I like to start a FR and go south to Sperryville, and then come back via 211 to Little Washington, Flint Hill, and back into FR on 522. I always prefer loops to out and backs.

Look into the "SkyMass" route as well, which goes down into Luray, back over Massanutten, and returns through Fort Valley. Gorgeous. About 80 miles I think.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I have SkyMass on my list of must-do rides, but don't want to do it solo for the 1st time...was supposed to do it the weekend the derecho hit but for a variety of reasons that group bailed.

I usually avoid out-and-backs as well, but actually enjoyed the "back" on my ride since it was mostly downhill I also need the climbing miles, staying on Skyline guarantees that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009

Any dirt/gravel on this route?

So now I've done SkyMass...and it makes the 2nd longest ride I've ever done (the Alpine Loop Gran Fondo is the longest...). I want to explore the area more and try out some other roads I've seen on Strava.

This route include Tanner's Ridge, are any of the roads between 211 and Tanner's Ridge dirt or gravel? Need to know if I should swap out my regular tires for Gatorskins.

Thanks.