RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Relocating to Ohio - lots of flexibility and seeking to be near nice riding community

I'm looking at relocating from Kentucky to Ohio for work. I have a great deal of flexibility where to live as the entire state will be my territory. I was hoping to get some opinions on where to target my search as I have become incredibly spoiled with all the cycling routes around where I currently live Elizabethtown, KY. There are several pleasant country routes that allow me to ride for mulitple hours and get passed by less than 20 cars.

I will help narrow down the suggestions by offering the following.
    1. My two biggest passions are cycling and skydiving - so my preferred target is to live within 45-60 minutes of Middletown, OH. Also, staying a little more South in Ohio allows me to visit family in Kentucky a bit easier.
    2. My wife works in the Healthcare industry so I would like to give her as many options as possible for employment. She is an O.T.
    3. We prefer to live somewhere that has at least 25,000 up in population and maybe no further out than 45 minutes or so to a decent size city (Cincy, Dayton, Columbus, etc...)
    4. My wife and I are DINKS...so schools not an issue in the decision.

My wife will be excited about there being less hills in Ohio. Her knees give her issues at times.

Thanks SOOOOO much in advance for any input or experiences you can share.

Eddie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Newark Ohio, and licking county in general is very nice area and seems to come close to fitting your preferences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Isn't that East of Columbus, OH? That would be a great Central area for covering the state in my job, but pretty far for my skydiving obsession.

I'm hearing pretty good things about Mason and West Chester (just North of Cincy), though I don't know much about them with regards to being excellent areas for cycling.

I appreciate your input! Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Cycling in SW Ohio is good. The Cincinnati Cycle Club has spokes in West Chester and Mason. I have lived in Mason/West Chester for 25 years now. We started a spoke of the Cincinnati Cycle Club and ride regularly as a group twice a week. (go to the Cincinnati Cycle Club home page for the spoke ride schedules) In certain parts of Warren and Butler counties, you can safely ride from your driveway to great county roads.

Skydiving I don't do, but I know they skydive from Waynesville - Warren County and from Middletown - Butler County. Healthcare facilities are moving to the NE side of Cincinnati because that's where the people are moving. With the economic crash of 2008, housing here is still relatively inexpensive, but prices are coming back in both West Chester and Mason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by beamer2 View Post
    Cycling in SW Ohio is good. The Cincinnati Cycle Club has spokes in West Chester and Mason. I have lived in Mason/West Chester for 25 years now. We started a spoke of the Cincinnati Cycle Club and ride regularly as a group twice a week. (go to the Cincinnati Cycle Club home page for the spoke ride schedules) In certain parts of Warren and Butler counties, you can safely ride from your driveway to great county roads.

Skydiving I don't do, but I know they skydive from Waynesville - Warren County and from Middletown - Butler County. Healthcare facilities are moving to the NE side of Cincinnati because that's where the people are moving. With the economic crash of 2008, housing here is still relatively inexpensive, but prices are coming back in both West Chester and Mason.
    I really appreciate the feedback. The wife and I are in West Chester this evening. We spent a lot of time in Lebanon today and it peaked out interest. Definitively like the sound of the Great Miami rails to trails route.

We've got quite a bit to figure out regarding Mason and West Chester...we keep seeing the interstate side of it...not really experiencing the homeliness of it. Had a great evening at the Dingle House pub this evening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Xenia is the cycling hub of Ohio. Also well located for driving (70, 75, 71).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Dave! We will be sure to check it out tomorrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Grew up in Dayton. The Great Miami trail would be fun ride with a family. Flat, mostly gentle grades and gentle curves. When I go home now, I use it for interval work on the bike and for a long run if I want or need one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I also recommend outside of Columbus, more stable economy, lots to do. My one daughter graduated from veterinary school a three years ago, 1st year out practiced in Louisville, Ky, spent the past two years in Gibraltar, Mi .. and now thinking of starting her practice where there will be growth. (Michigan is dead) She is choosing between Maumee, Oh and the Columbus area. She loves Columbus and what it has to offer, and many friends there from her school years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Loveland OH has a lot of cycling choices. The bike trail has a major stop there, and the cycle club and other groups start many rides there.

Here's the last two years of rides from my Garmin recordings in the Cincinnati area. The area has some steep hills at times, but most are less than a mile long. See those red parts of the rides--those are fast downhills.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I'm biased as I live in Lebanon. However if one rides just 4 miles out of town, think Oregonia road, you are at the Little Miami river. There are some climbs if you want. Although they can be steep 15-24% they are short. Once on the other side it can be as flat as you want for a long ways. Casear Creek has moutain bike trails and is a great place to hike and watch nature. A short ride from town. You can even ride out and see an old Nike missile silo near Cowan lake. Many small towns can make for places to stop, Plesant Plain, Blanchester, Midland, Cuba, Clarksville, Harveysburg, Corwin, Waynesville, Oregonia, Morrow, Mainville, Butlerville, Salt Lick and there many more. As you know Waynesville is just up St. Rt. 42 and the airport has Skydiving. Middletown is not far just a quick drive thru Red lion or on the back roads. While not perfect Lebanon has a lot to offer, one of the largest YMCAs in the country, low crime and people know there neighbors here. Just a few minutes drive down I-75/71 and there is justabout any shopping you can think of. Lebanon has kept its downtown alive and well. With many shops, ice cream and the Golden Lamb. We often just walk around town. There is a very popular Christmas parade that packs the town. Let me know and I can tell you more.

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007

Relocating to Ohio - lots of flexibility and seeking to be near nice riding com

I agree with the Loveland suggestion. Blue Ash, also nearby, is solid as well in that you can be on lightly trafficked roads fairly quickly (although the first 2-5 miles can be heavier traffic). I'm from MI but am in Cinci regularly for work and quite often ride a 6AM group ride out of Blue Ash. The mix of terrain is wonderful as well as the diversity of riders on the groups I've ridden with. Cinci truly has a great riding scene.