Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

'06 Motobecane Le Champion vs. '05Schwinn Fastback Pro

If you were to consider the purchase of one of these 2 bikes, only taking into consideration their specs, which would it be? Assume the same price, which they are after discounts. Pros and cons?

Thanks

http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/...ail.php?id=456

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...champ06pre.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

oh boy, you had to mention motobecane

Basically what is going to happen next is that this one guy is going to tell you that Bikedirect is the best and that everyone else will lie to you. They others will tell you to buy from your local bike shop and then people will debate over this.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Yes, I've seen the endless diatribes. I'm just interested in what people think about the specs. BTW the Schwinn would also be purchased on-line, not at the LBS.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

so which one would you buy?

and why?

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akeelor
    and why?
    The Fastback! (The specs are to close to make the call based on it).

1. My son has one and I've ridden one and was very impressed.

2. The Fastback Looks better and more up to date.
    Last edited by Lifelover; 11-04-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    The bikes look pretty comparable in frame material and components. I'm not sure which has the better wheels. If the prices were comparable or the Schwinn only slightly higher I would choose the Schwinn. If the Schwinn were substantially higher (at least $400-500) I would choose the Bikesdirect bike. As a frame of reference I am very happy with my BD bike purchase almost a year ago.
    "The Shill"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting frank response from a happy BD customer. What may I ask gives the edge ( for you) to the Schwinn at the same cost as the Moto?

Racial Profiler
    If you were to consider the purchase of one of these 2 bikes, only taking into consideration their specs, which would it be? Assume the same price, which they are after discounts. Pros and cons?
    Looking at the specs, I think that they are the exact same bike. In all reality they are probably manufactured about 100 feet away from each other. I guess it comes down to whether you want a sloping or traditional top tube, and which wheelset you prefer.

I owned one of the last pre-bankruptcy Schwinn fastbacks, and have a Moto. They are both light, and handle well. I did not have problems with either one.

Quote Originally Posted by LIfelover
    3. There are a fair number of reports of the moto frame failing.
    Where?
    Everyone fights.
    No one quits.
    You don't do your job, I'll shoot you myself.
    ~Johnny Rico

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting frank response from a happy BD customer. What may I ask gives the edge ( for you) to the Schwinn at the same cost as the Moto?
    At the end of the day the Schwinn is a more well known name and assuming you are getting it from a more well known vendor would be for me the better choice. Not that is a more well made frame. They are probably both made in the same factory in China or one across town. But the prices would have to be comparable to make that decision. I have over 1600 miles on my BD bike in less than a year and haven't had any problems. One of my concerns was when I brought my bike in for adjustments the LBS would have an attitude since I got an inexpensive bike on the internet. But so far that is not the case. I've been treated well to both shops I've been to. But again that would apply to either the Schwinn or BD bike that was purchased online. There are a lot of LBS in my area and they seem to value whatever business they can get.
    "The Shill"

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Well, the specs give the Schwinn a slight edge. Full carbon rear, not just seatstays. Carbon steerer on the fork. Carbon compact crankset. Carbon seatpost. Better tires. The Moto also does not say what bars or chain come on it.

What the Hell is going on

I'm prejudiced

The easy answer to get the bike that fits you the best. Other than that I vote for the Schwinn. I have owned and own several Schwinns (pre-bankruptcies and post-bankruptcies).

Motobecane? They're French, right? I hate the French. The only time I would go back to France would be to crap on some Frenchman's lawn.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtolleson
    Well, the specs give the Schwinn a slight edge. Full carbon rear, not just seatstays. Carbon steerer on the fork. Carbon compact crankset. Carbon seatpost. Better tires. The Moto also does not say what bars or chain come on it.
    Moto says Ritchey BioMax II bars.

The Ritchey Protocols are great wheels, are the Schwinn wheels actually Rolf wheels? Nevermind, Gipiemme is just a licensee.
    HTFU

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP
    Motobecane? They're French, right? I hate the French. The only time I would go back to France would be to crap on some Frenchman's lawn.
    About as French as Ford. Motobecane is an American brand made in the Far East. The company has no link to the original French Motobecane from the 80's & 90's. If you want to insult a nation and it's people, at least get your facts right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimobici
    About as French as Ford. Motobecane is an American brand made in the Far East. The company has no link to the original French Motobecane from the 80's & 90's. If you want to insult a nation and it's people, at least get your facts right!
    Hey, that's just like Schwinn, pretending to be an American brand owned by a company in the Far East, with no link to the original American company except the name.
    HTFU

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I would go for the Schwinn. They seem to ge giving you better value on the frame and fork. Note the fork on the Schwinn has a carbon fiber steerer. The one on the Moto is aluminum.

Plus I've been passed by guys on Schwinn Fastbacks but never someone on a Motobecane.

banned
    Oct 2003

how does this matter??

Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    I would go for the Schwinn. They seem to ge giving you better value on the frame and fork. Note the fork on the Schwinn has a carbon fiber steerer. The one on the Moto is aluminum.

Plus I've been passed by guys on Schwinn Fastbacks but never someone on a Motobecane.

if you were passed buy a Huffy - would you buy one??

on features - the carbon streeer is nice -- but Ritchey WCS Protocal wheels are very nice
    but bikes seem like very good deals compared to what you get in a bike shop for $1200

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by collectorvelo
    if you were passed buy a Huffy - would you buy one??

on features - the carbon streeer is nice -- but Ritchey WCS Protocal wheels are very nice
    but bikes seem like very good deals compared to what you get in a bike shop for $1200
    I was making a joke.

banned
    Jun 2006
    I just got a le champ SL on Thurs.

I am happy with my purchase. Would AC 420s be better wheels?

the SL does have a Carbon fork tube....

Not really a recommendation, as I have heard good things about the schwinn...just thought I would offer my info. the SL really is superlight....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Can you cite those reports of frame failures? This is the first mention I've heard of that, and since my life depends on this frame staying in one piece, I'd like to see these reports to know if there are some unusual circumstances, or if I should start shopping for a new frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imetis
    Can you cite those reports of frame failures? This is the first mention I've heard of that, and since my life depends on this frame staying in one piece, I'd like to see these reports to know if there are some unusual circumstances, or if I should start shopping for a new frame.
    Don't expect to see any of those reports, Lifeover will not be able to produce them, as they just don't exist.

Most of the frames used in the Motobecane line are made by Kinesis in Taiwan. This is the same factory that produces most of the frames for Fuji, and others. Unless he can also produce reports of Fuji frames failing I'm sure that he is just repeating what someone with little or no knowledge said before him. I have looked for reports of Kinesis frame failures, and can't find any. If I am wrong then he will produce those reports and I will apologize.
    HTFU

banned
    Jun 2006

moto frames seem pretty solid

As I posted earlier, I just got a moto Le Champ Sl.
    I have to say the frame seems very good, better or equal to my Specialized Allez. Say what you want to machine built frames but the wields are almost pretty in their uniformity.

I have seen plenty of Moto bashing, but I have never heard anyone able to quanitify a frame issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would get the Schwinn. It sounds a lot like "Schwing" and I loved Wayne's World.

RoadBikeReview Member

I've owned both

The fit is the biggest difference between the Quality of the two bikes. The Moto SL has a very long tt for it's head tube. The seat tube is measured center to top of the seat collar, not Center to Top of Top Tube as is suggested. This required me to buy a 350mm seat post to compensate for the difference. The TT on the 54 (52cm CTC) was 55cm, and the corresponding head tube was SHORT (maybe 13cm?) I sold the frame a couple of months ago after putting around 1500 miles on it.

The Schwinn Fastback which I currently ride has a virtual 55cm tt and a tall 15+cm headtube, making it much more comfortable. I no longer have upper back and neck pain on long rides. I have around 1000 miles on this bike.

That said, both are excellent bikes: well built and well appointed.
    Of course I'm picking up my new (to me) Eddy Merckx Team SC today. Hopefully I'll be able to say it is better than both the Moto and the Schwinn

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5
    The fit is the biggest difference between the Quality of the two bikes. The Moto SL has a very long tt for it's head tube. The seat tube is measured center to top of the seat collar, not Center to Top of Top Tube as is suggested. This required me to buy a 350mm seat post to compensate for the difference. The TT on the 54 (52cm CTC) was 55cm, and the corresponding head tube was SHORT (maybe 13cm?) I sold the frame a couple of months ago after putting around 1500 miles on it.

The Schwinn Fastback which I currently ride has a virtual 55cm tt and a tall 15+cm headtube, making it much more comfortable. I no longer have upper back and neck pain on long rides. I have around 1000 miles on this bike.

Of course I'm picking up my new (to me) Eddy Merckx Team SC today. Hopefully I'll be able to say it is better than both the Moto and the Schwinn
    Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on the Gipiemme wheels that come with it? I have some Easton Circuits that I will probably swap out with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCad5

Back again. Do you have the 05 version of the Schwinn? They changed the seatstays for 06 which leads me to believe that the design on the 05 wasn't ideal. Any thoughts? This is an exchange I had with the Schwinn customer service group:
    Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Bike Geometry

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response (Customer Service Rep.) - 06/20/2006 09:10 AM

The 2006 model does have redesigned seatstays. We moved from a
    diamond-shaped design to one that is more oval and compliant and replaced the
    glued on cable hanger with a molded-in one.

Thanks,
    Ask Schwinn

Customer - 06/19/2006 12:06 PM
    Thank you for your quick response.

One last question: Did the design for the seat stay
    and chainstay change between 05 and 06 on the Fastback
    Pro Model.

Thanks again
    Last edited by akeelor; 06-20-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast