Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlim View Post
    My apologies for the tardy response. Here is a picture of the bike ...
    Excellent set up, love the Zipps on the bike, too. Really thinking about buying a Cafe Century Pro for the same purpose you state.

I do have a couple of questions for you, if possible...

How comfortable is the frame, since it looks a tad more like road bike geometry compared to the so called fitness/comfort flat bar bikes available from Giant (Fast Road), Specialized (Sirrus) and other manufactures?

And secondly, what bar end horns did you put on your bike?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    The bike is quite comfortable when used with the original Mavic Aksium wheels with the Kenda 28mm tires. I've since replaced the wheels with carbon/tubulars from my road bike and the comfort is pretty much eliminated ... .

The geometry is actually more suited for comfort bike as the rear wheelbase is quite a bit longer. If you look in the photo and gauge the distant the tire is from the seat tube, there is quite a gap. I have my spare CO2 cartridge mounted there.

As for the bar ends, I picked them up off eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbikah View Post
    Excellent set up, love the Zipps on the bike, too. Really thinking about buying a Cafe Century Pro for the same purpose you state.

I do have a couple of questions for you, if possible...

How comfortable is the frame, since it looks a tad more like road bike geometry compared to the so called fitness/comfort flat bar bikes available from Giant (Fast Road), Specialized (Sirrus) and other manufactures?

And secondly, what bar end horns did you put on your bike?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the response. For the money the Cafe Century Pro seems a pretty good bargain when you consider it's a carbon frame that comes with good Shimano equipment. Campy is more direct feeling, but Shimano is pretty smooth, if adjusted properly. Wish they would show the "upgraded" Vueltas that now come on the bike.

I have a set of Aksiums, that came on my older road bike, my every day trainer. Put about 11,000 miles on them. Rear wheel finally bent at the joint. No big hits on it, but it's not fixable. I eventually appreciated that wheel set, heavy 2005 edition before the lighter version was produced. A good 1,900+ grams for the pair. Hated their weight at first, but came to love the effort and training benefits that they provided. Cursed them on every hill and acceleration, but as they say, no pain, no gain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Cafe Century Pro is indeed a great bargain for a carbon bike with the Shimano 105/Ultegra components. I took it out for a spin last weekend and enjoyed it. It was quite windy that day and I had to deal with the crosswind with the carbon wheels.... it would have been better with the Aksium that day. In all honesty, I'm appreciating the bike more every time I ride it.

The Aksium are good training wheels... very similar to my Campagnolo Vento. I believe they're in the same weight group. I'm considering switching back to the Aksium for the comfort. The additional weight doesn't bother me too much as I'm slowly seeing myself targeting comfort over performance .... must be the age creeping up ....

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbikah View Post
    Thanks for the response. For the money the Cafe Century Pro seems a pretty good bargain when you consider it's a carbon frame that comes with good Shimano equipment. Campy is more direct feeling, but Shimano is pretty smooth, if adjusted properly. Wish they would show the "upgraded" Vueltas that now come on the bike.

I have a set of Aksiums, that came on my older road bike, my every day trainer. Put about 11,000 miles on them. Rear wheel finally bent at the joint. No big hits on it, but it's not fixable. I eventually appreciated that wheel set, heavy 2005 edition before the lighter version was produced. A good 1,900+ grams for the pair. Hated their weight at first, but came to love the effort and training benefits that they provided. Cursed them on every hill and acceleration, but as they say, no pain, no gain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlim View Post
    The Cafe Century Pro is indeed a great bargain for a carbon bike with the Shimano 105/Ultegra components. I took it out for a spin last weekend and enjoyed it. It was quite windy that day and I had to deal with the crosswind with the carbon wheels.... it would have been better with the Aksium that day. In all honesty, I'm appreciating the bike more every time I ride it.

The Aksium are good training wheels... very similar to my Campagnolo Vento. I believe they're in the same weight group. I'm considering switching back to the Aksium for the comfort. The additional weight doesn't bother me too much as I'm slowly seeing myself targeting comfort over performance .... must be the age creeping up ....
    I know about that age thing! When out for a training ride there's nothing better than the drop bars and an aero bike. On the other hand, when out for an easy ride with the family on a scenic trail, there's definitely a place for a bike with comfort geometry, no matter what the age of the rider.

I've been using an ancient and very heavy Trek chromoly MTB for those easy rides, but the weight and sluggish performance when it's windy (pretty breezy here a lot due to coastal location) can make the ride less than enjoyable. Thus, shopping for a lighter replacement. Have looked at and tried out several comfort bikes by Specialized, Cannondale, Trek and Giant, to name a few. I keep coming back to the Cafe Century when factoring gruppo and carbon frame.

Finally noticed that the wheels on the black Cafe Century Pro in Bikesdirect site show the Vuelta wheels. Looks like a 28-30mm deep wheel with aero spokes. The white Cafe still shows the super reliable Mavics that came on your bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12