Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

stems, bar height

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Stems, handlebar height, Bit the bullet

I decided to bite the bullet and address handlebar height as "non kluge" as possible. Nashbar sell a carbon fork with metal steerer tube for $89 now, got that on order. This fork also has more rake than the Corvus Al 2011 stock, I think that will give me a little more stability and "go straight" handling.

So on order from Nashbar, $89 fork, star nut $2, from Pricepoint, star nut $2, tool for star $10, 28.6mm clamp $4 (try Sheldon's trick first), spacers $10.

Anyhow, $899 Corvus will be up to $1075, still a deal? I think so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I word of caution regarding changing to a fork with a different rake. I did that once. I went from a 43 mm to a 45 mm raked fork thinking it would not make much of a difference. It did. The bike was much twitchier with the 45 mm. I ended up switching back to a 43 mm. I was very surprised by this. So, if you are going to a smaller rake, then your bike should become more stable (easier to ride with your hands off the handle bars - the bike will hold its line better). If you are going to a larger rake, then it will become less stable and twitchier. At least, that is how it ended up for my bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Steve,

Interesting, I'll do some careful before & after observations on how it handles. I'd think a little more wheelbase / rake should make things more stable, but I'm no expert on frame geometry. I like the handling with the current straight fork, haven't tried to evaluate hands off. Anyhow, thanks for the caution, I'll write back on how the Corvus Al handles it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Foek rake / stability

Steve,

Interesting, I'll do some careful before & after observations on how it handles. I'd think a little more wheelbase / rake should make things more stable, but I'm no expert on frame geometry. I like the handling with the current straight fork, haven't tried to evaluate hands off. Anyhow, thanks for the caution, I'll write back on how the Corvus Al handles it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    After 8 years and 35,000 miles I'm still riding it.
    Hard to believe I found this thread from so long ago.
    Contact me directly if you want to know anything about the Motobecane LeChampion.
    It was GREEN, officer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12