Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Condor Flight SRF on Bikes Direct

If I'm not mistaken, Condor is a new "mark" for Bikes Direct. I was trying to figure out what the frame geometry resembled. As first glance I thought they might be NOS Madone frames from a couple of years back, but after comparing them I'm not confident in that one. Anyone have any guesses?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Condor Flight on BD

It is indeed new - didn't see it there a couple days ago. Do you know anything about the brand and frame?

The head tube juncture looks kind of the like the Scott CR1 to me - although the Condor head tube might be a bit more rounded in profile. The seat tube/stay looks familiar - but I can't quite place it.

If the Condor frame is any good this could be a very good deal. Almost full Force gruppo [except for the Tektro calipers] and the Ksyrium Elite wheels are a nice surprise at this price point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think they equip any of their other bikes in that price range with the Ksyrium Elite wheels.

Link:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ht_srf_xii.htm

It does look like a good deal.
    2012 Motobecane Le Champion Team Titanium
    2002 Jamis Eclipse
    2000 Specialized Allez Elite

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    It is. The cost of Force and Ksyrium Elites gets you to $1,699 before you even factor in frame & cockpit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Am I the only one seeing the resemblance between the Condor CF frame and BD's own Century CF frame? They look identical too me.. and I believe the geometries match too..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Good catch, those are definitely the same frame. Strange that they only offer the Century CF in Apex or various levels of Shimano with a triple.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    There is actually another on-line outfit selling the Condor bikes: http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/

Same models, very close in prices, also in Texas, which makes me think it's affiliated with BD in some way.

The reason I know all this is because I recently bought a Century Comp with Apex from BD. I was tempted to spend a little more and get the Condor Flight SRV, with Rival group and better wheelset, and was convinced that they were the same frame with different build-up. I went with Century Comp because I already have a road bike with Ultegra and wanted to buy a bike with Apex's granny gearing for certain rides. Also I was not able to find much feedback on Condor on the internet. Finally, the paint job (or graphics, logo, whatever you call) of Condor just look plain *cough* ugly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    just ordered the condor flight sr-f from bikeshopewarehouse. same deal as BD but BSW shows force brakes, so i went with them since they both also now have the ksyrium elite wheels. should show up next week, and i'll let you know how it goes, if you would like to hear about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ovcyclist View Post
    just ordered the condor flight sr-f from bikeshopewarehouse. same deal as BD but BSW shows force brakes, so i went with them since they both also now have the ksyrium elite wheels. should show up next week, and i'll let you know how it goes, if you would like to hear about it.
    yeah, tell us once you get the bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    condor flight sr-f arrived as scheduled from BSW. no issues whatsoever. just as advertised. great bike. also excellent advice from Dave on size. highly recommended.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Any photos of the Condor Flight SRF yet?

How''s the new bike? I would love to see pics and hear your review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    My old bike was old school, so my first new bike in many years. did not actually ride any other bikes at all, with the exceptiion of several year old specialized M4 with ultegra, so again, can't compare all the different new rides. however, if you like sram force (which i do very much now - rode the ultegra and did not like the brake being a shifter), if you like mavic ksyrium elite wheels (which seem fine to me - about 150 on them now), and all the rest ritchey stuff (post, stem, bars, seat), then so far so good. bike rides great. showed up perfectly packed with no damage whatsoever. wheels perfectly true (still are). quick setup. only adjustment was about 1 turn on the adjuster barrel on rd, and about 1/3-1/2 turn on the fd large ring stop. been fine ever since. bike looks exactly like the pictures, and was equipped exactly as spec'd on the website. nice looking bike. 100% recommend. a lot of bike for the money. came with all factory literature for wheels (as well as bearing adjuster, etc) and sram stuff. read a lot about fit, so was a little concerned, since i have noticed that different manuf. and bikes fit different with the same size rating. i was pretty much convinced a 58 would be my best bet. spoke to David there, as i mentioned, who suggested the 61. i was a little worried about the reach on this frame, but after a couple rides, i'm totally used to it. came with a 110 ritchey stem. the pedals are inexpensive wellgo rc-713 (an spd pedal), seem fine, but i have some cheapo shimano spd-sl pedals i put on from my old bike. definitely not the fanciest finish on a bike compared to some (i.e. paint) i've seen in the shops, but it is a very nice frame. can't say anything about stiffness compared to other carbon bikes, but it moves out good when you stand up on it and does have a nice ride, for sure. nicer than my old aluminum frame. also, have no idea of the weight, other than its noticeably lighter than my old bike. it's always over 100 deg here now, so usually limited to earlier or later rides, but i always look forward to it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

photos of the Condor Flight SRF?

Thanks for the reply. The photos on BSW are not much - all just crops of the same side view. I always like seeing real photos by the actual riders. Glad you are enjoying the bike. I too, would be upgrading from much older technology [31 year old steel frame, downtube shifters, etc.] I'm sure this bike would be a quantum leap for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Condor Flight S6F

I have the Condor Flight S6F, the one with full Ultegra groupo. The site states it has Tektro brakes but mine came with Ultegra brakes which I'd much rather have. I decided on this one because it's one hell of a deal and the relaxed geometry of the frame. Full ultegra groupo minus the pedals is $1450 from performancebike and Mavic Kysrium elite wheels is $650 from performancebike. So you get a carbon fiber frame and cockpit for free.....great deal! The frame is made by TorayCA which I think makes the frames for Motobecane. They do make frames for Orbea, Felt, and Pinarello as well. Those are high end brands with the price tag to match. My bike is a 61cm and weighs in at 18lbs without pedals. I put ultegra pedals on it and that added 11oz. The seat is garbage as are most stock seats so figure on replacing that. I got a selle italia Man. I'm used to shimano shifting so that's why i got this instead of the one with force. I've only had it up to 35 mph but it handles very well. It also holds me at 6'3" and 245lbs very nicely. I think bikesdirect ships these bikes with components based on the size of frame you order. ie. the bars are 146 not the usual 144, the stem is 120 and the cranks are 175 (the longest they make.) So that tells me that someone over knows what they are doing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010

It's the Real Deal!

Just received the Condor Flight SR-F with the SRAM Force. It has all Force drivetrain, Ritchey Pro cockpit, Ksyrium Elite wheels and Force brakeset. It's a beautiful bike. The bike reminds me of the Litespeed M1 which is their entry level carbon frame. Hope to ride this bike over the weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I am curious, are the decals under the clear coat?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    The gray decals are under the clearcoat and blends with the glossy black nude carbon finish. I prefer the letter style used instead of the block letters because they look more subdued.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I'm pretty sure Bikeshopwarehouse is just another DBA for BikesDirect.

The Condor does look like a very good deal. It's the lowest price I've seen on a Force bike with full carbon. It would be impossible to get anywhere near that price even if you used Ebay generic stuff. I'd be interested to see how one of these holds up after 5K miles. I've considered buying an aluminum Condor as a rain bike, it's extremely cheap for what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    ovcyclist or bdragon -- any chance you can post some shots of your new rides? Also any update on how they're holding up would be great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I am looking at a Condor Superbird SR-A for 895. It seems like a steal. BD is out of my size, but bike wholesale has the same bike and price. Any opinions on it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Comment on Geometry

I think the bike measures rather tall so pay attention to the top tube vs. standover height geometry. I purchased based on top tube but I wished the standover height was a bit lower. Don't get me wrong but I would not have purchased any other size. The fit is good but I just prefer a lower standover height.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I can speak for the Condor brand. I bought the Superbird S5D from Bike Shop Warehouse about a year ago and I could not be more happy with it. It's a CAAD5 copy with 105 components. I've put near 1k miles on it and have had zero problems. I also can not say enough about BSW's customer service; the margins those guys are making on these bikes have got to be tiny, but they still put in a lot of effort into making their customers happy. I don't think they are a very big company either, because every time I call, the same guy answers the phone. I have recommended them to 2 different people and both have had good experiences.

klo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I received my Condor SR-F in early August and didn't get a chance to try it out until last week. As girona10 said the bike measures a little tall but it's fine with me. It's a nice bike except I'm not too impressed with the paint job. It has this checkerbox pattern on the frame. My old bike was a 2009 Specialized Allez Triple and this new bike feels so much better and faster than it. When going downhill, it's very stable and smooth even at 40 miles/hr. Going uphill is fun too since it's much lighter than my old bike. I used my bathroom scale to check and it weighs in at 18 lb (as pictured).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Condor Flight SRF on Bikes Direct-condor-001-large-.jpg   Condor Flight SRF on Bikes Direct-condor-002-large-.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by klo View Post
    ...It's a nice bike except I'm not too impressed with the paint job. It has this checkerbox pattern on the frame...
    Um, that's just clear coat over carbon fiber, not a paint job. Looks pretty cool to me.

klo
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    The checkerbox pattern is under the clear coat, I think. Since someone above mentioned the frame is similar to the Century CF that I checked and he's right. They look the same, not just the geometry, but Century elite and team CF has the same checkerbox pattern on them too. I got my bike from bikeshopwarehouse and it came with the SRAM Force caliper brake, not the Tekro one. Very good deal. The only thing not good is the saddle. I swapped it with my old Specialized seat even though it's not good either but at least better than the stock Ritchey one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast