Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    188

    FSA Headset help..

    Hi everyone,

    I have a 2013 Le Champion TI and the stock FSA headset keeps coming loose. I am tired of fighting with it and decided to replace it. I do not need anything crazy like Chris King, I just want a solid headset that is well made, won't come loose and not break the bank.

    What are you guys running and how has it been working for you..

    Thanks,

    Hyder

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyder View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I have a 2013 Le Champion TI and the stock FSA headset keeps coming loose. I am tired of fighting with it and decided to replace it. I do not need anything crazy like Chris King, I just want a solid headset that is well made, won't come loose and not break the bank.

    What are you guys running and how has it been working for you..

    Thanks,

    Hyder
    Did you set this up yourself?

    I only ask because most headset issues like yours are the result of an incorrect understanding as to how a threadless headset works and how to correctly set up. There are endless threads about this so google is your friend.

    There's nothing wrong with FSA headsets. Extremely common as OEM items.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  3. #3
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyder View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I have a 2013 Le Champion TI and the stock FSA headset keeps coming loose. I am tired of fighting with it and decided to replace it. I do not need anything crazy like Chris King, I just want a solid headset that is well made, won't come loose and not break the bank.

    What are you guys running and how has it been working for you..

    Thanks,

    Hyder
    Never had issues with the VP Components headset (made under a Cane Creek license) on my low end Bikes Direct Windsor Wellington 3.0.

    So... Cane Creek 40-series will be a a good headset to get without breaking the bank.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    Did you set this up yourself?

    I only ask because most headset issues like yours are the result of an incorrect understanding as to how a threadless headset works and how to correctly set up. There are endless threads about this so google is your friend.

    There's nothing wrong with FSA headsets. Extremely common as OEM items.
    No sir,

    It is the stock headset that came with the bike. I noticed that it started getting loose fairly quickly after i received the bike. I have taken it to the LBS a few times and had them tighten it, but it still keeps getting loose. Figured I would just change it out and see if that helps any. It is not my main bike so I do have another to ride, just figured I should not have to tighten it that much.. I have never tightened my other bikes headset and I ride that way more...

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    37
    I had the same problem. It seems that the compression plug can distort the steerer tube just enough that the stem doesn't grip properly when you bolt it on.

    Adjust it as your normally would so it feels right. Then remove the top cap while leaving the stem mounted as it is. Now remove the compression plug. Further tighten the stem bolts without moving the position. Re-insert the compression plug and tighten only enough so it will stay put. Bolt the top cap back on and tighten just enough so it stays put.

    Let me know how that works out.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    37
    Hyder, did you ever find a solution? After about a year the headset loosened up again and I performed the same procedure again. If a new/different headset solved it for you I might buy one. Re tightening once a year isn't too big a deal though.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    188
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorfreak View Post
    Hyder, did you ever find a solution? After about a year the headset loosened up again and I performed the same procedure again. If a new/different headset solved it for you I might buy one. Re tightening once a year isn't too big a deal though.
    Hey Gatorfreak,

    I ended up taking it to my LBS and the mechanic works some magic and it has never came loose again. Not sure what he did but it has worked just fine since.. I took it in and told him I wanted it replace my headset, he said to let him give it a shot before I replace it, and it has been perfect..

Similar Threads

  1. Threadless Headset Install - Headtube vs. Headset Cup Size
    By Lowside in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
  2. Headset Reducer? 1 1/8" headset/1" steerer tube.
    By The Clyde in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:29 AM
  3. integrated headset fork on non inter headset frame
    By refreshinglygood in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
  5. Integrated Headset to External Headset?
    By The Master Cylinder in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •