Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How is Motobecane vs. the big brands?

97K views 75 replies 32 participants last post by  mikeyzoomzoom 
#1 ·
Hello folks, I've been lurking in this forum for some time now trying to gain some updated knowledge on the purchase of a new road bike and I will admit, you don't disappoint. You are a very knowledgeable group of riders. My last roadie was a Peugeot U08 back in 1974 but lately I have gotten the bug to get back on another one. I have been riding an old Specialized MTB and it's just too much work for a 6:00 am, 8 mile fitness ride. I'm also aware of the different models that the big 4 manufactures have on the market today. I'm 57 years old and looking for a bike that will allow me to ride for casual fitness and I also plan to ride the RAGBRAI ride across Iowa on my brother in law's team next summer, so I need to start logging some training miles. My budget at this time is around $800. I see plenty of used Trek, Specialized and Cdale on craigslist in the price range. However, they're used bikes and I don't know what problems may surface later on. Several experienced riders on my brother in law's RAGBRAI team ride Motobecanes and swear by them. Does anyone have any experience with this brand through Bikes Direct? Thanks for any input. ~ Mike

#2 ·
Very satisfied with my BD experience

I got a Moto Vent Noir in 2011 and it's exceeded my expectations.
I'm 60 and my last bike was a late 60's Astra 10 speed.
Wasn't sure I'd still be able to handle the aggressive position of a road bike, so I didn't want to spend a boatload of money.
Did my best to fit myself using online fitting tools and then spent 700 bucks on the Vent Noir. It's nicely equipped for the price: Tiagra front, 105 rear, Vuelta wheelset. BD did a nice job of packaging and it was easy to finish the assembly. Got the derailleurs working smoothly by using internet tutorials. At the time, I couldn't have touched a similarly equipped big-name bike at the LBS's for less then 1200. (albeit that extra cash would have gotten me a real fitting and other benefits that an LBS can provide) Only have a couple of thousand miles on it but it's still running as smooth as the first day. Replaced the cheapo tires with Dunlop 4 Seasons and replaced the saddle this summer. And that's it.
Best of luck whatever route you go.

#3 ·
Thank you and that's what I was hoping to hear. I understand the fact that you need to assemble and fit yourself by trial and that's fine too. I'm sure the LBS's don't like to see them, because they didn't sell them but maybe a backyard mechanic could care less. One of my LBS's trashed the hell out of them, which made me concerned about the integrity of his shop. And he is my Trek dealer.

#8 ·
Not surprised seeing as you were discussing with him his competition. Since he's a Trek dealer, he may well have said the same about Specialized, Felt, and Oreba too. Money you spend with BikesDirect is money you're not giving him.
I have one of their 29ers and it's been a great bike, and plan to ride it for a long time to come. Don't feel bad if you decide to buy one though, you're spending money to get a bike to ride, not spending money to keep LBS's in business. It's great to help the local economy, but what good is it if you don't get what you want and need? I see buying from BD like buying a used bike. It's a straight up transaction (short of a manufacturing defect) and so once the money changes hands the deal is done and you're on your own. If you need the services of a LBS, they will charge you the same no matter if it is a Motobecane or Mcipollini, if you didn't buy it from them.

#4 ·
I did toss around the fact that I would need the services of an LBS and that they would know that I got my bike online.
Felt a little guilty because I always try and ANY items from a local
brick-and-mortar before succumbing to the internet but, in this case, they just couldn't get any where close to the BD price.
I DO make a point of buying accessories and clothing from the LBS's
if prices are comparable, even if I pay a little more sometimes.

#12 ·
I get it but my LBS knows that if I can get a great deal, I will buy online. That said, they know that I am really into the sport and get others into the sport. I refer business there that exceeds what I would spend by at least 3-4 times. They are not jerks. They know that is the reality. They don't survive off the 10% of us that are serious, they survive off of the 90% that are not.
From a business stand point, I would rather the referrals and emergency (and small stuff like tubes) from my serious customers.

#5 ·
I bought a BikesDirect titanium mountain bike about a year ago, a Team Fly 29er. The bike has been great. I have replaced a few items, such as the saddle and the seat post clamp, which were functional but not very high quality. The frame has be fine and the SRAM components (XO) have performed well. I did the assembly myself which took a couple of hours going slowly. I would check some of the basic assembly. The bottom bracket threads had no grease and the head set needed more lubrication. The derailleur hanger screws were loose. My experience has been very positive and the price was certainly good. I would personally consider getting a road bike from them.

#6 ·
Motobecane doesn't exist as a company anymore. Its just a name that Bikes Direct put on their frames that they contract to have made in China. The factory that makes these frames for Bikes Direct probably also makes bikes for big brand names, so you're getting a decent frame. Their prices are hard to beat. Often, I see bikes where the cost of just the components exceeds what Bikes Direct is selling the entire bike for. You won't find a LBS that can compete price wise with them.

I still think a used bike is probably the better deal if you can find one you like.

#7 ·
Search on Motobecane; there are tons of threads about them. Most people agree that they are good bikes for the money.

The real problem is getting the right size. Since you haven't been riding a road bike even if you were to try a bike and decide it was comfortable you really don't know which parts of the "fit" are important. Then as you get used to the road position you will probably need to adjust things later as you get more flexible.
It is worth it to take the bike to a good dealer and pay for a fitting.

You're lucky that you have your brother's experienced friends to help you. Ask to try some of their bikes for sizing and ask for their advice.

Put some thought into geometry; the two most common types of road bikes are the racers and the comfort/endurance bikes.
The racers are made for speed and efficiency with sharp (twitchy) handling and can be rougher riding.
The comfort frames are generally more stable with a more relaxed and less-harsh ride and often allow a more upright position that's easier for a beginner or older fart like me.

#10 ·
Another Motobecane 29er owner here and it's been a great bike for going on four years at 50% of the cost of a big name bike. The BD stuff tends to have (somewhat) outdated frame designs and a hodge-podge of non-drivetrain components, but it all works if built up correctly and should serve you for many miles, especially on a roadie. That being said, a newbie is better off buying from a good LBS if they can afford it, for both a proper sizing/fitting (which can involve component swaps) and tune-ups/warranty work. But that's not always in the budget, so hit up your BIL and his team to figure out sizing if you can't stretch your budget to get there.

The Moto Gran Premio in orange looks killer!

But something like a Trek 1.1 or Specialized Allez fits your budget as well.

#11 ·
I got a Bikes Direct bike (Gravity Liberty X) last year and the bike itself has been great to me. I've put her through 5,600 miles since I got it and its holding up just fine. At $600 with Sram Apex it just couldn't be beat for my first road bike.

I've had a few issues, but nothing major. I bent the stock chainring after a few months so I ended up grabbing a cheap Tiagra crankset for a song on eBay. Also had some issues with the stock wheels breaking spokes as did a friend of mine with the same bike.

I have managed to bend the rear triangle a bit so its not perfectly square anymore, but still perfectly rideable. This happened when I laid it down at 25 going through a corner in a crit. Can't really blame the bike for that one.

I also got the frame media blasted to get rid of the red paint job and Gravity logos that were all over it. Much happier with the way it looks now.

#14 ·
the gravity frame is the previous generation giant defy, which was highly acclaimed. a good frame, but bikesdirect change the forks, depending on th model this will affect handling and weight significantly.

you need to know your ideal geometry though.

as far as the bike shop's feelings: they know the drill, they'll charge you to assemble it, and you'll spend lots more upgrading and fueling your activity as you spend more time on the bike.

#15 ·
I bought a Le Champion CF frame set fro BD. It has been fantastic. A coworker bought the Motobecane Apex-level road bike and loves it. I would have no hesitation buying anything from them.

I don't know about the other Motobecane frames, but mine had a "Made in Taiwan" sticker (not China). Of course good frames are made in China too, but I don't think these are just the open-mould frames you see for sale on eBay, etc.

#28 · (Edited)
But I dont care! And now I care even less because of your attitudes.
Its good to know that a simple bike conversation can be turned into a personal attack.
Thanks for expressing your points so maturely even in the face of someone who doesnt agree with you nor cares about political semantics.

Good day "gentlemen"

I wont be responding so if you really need to have the last word... have at it!
Personal attack? Dude, you see what you want to see. Sorry to bother you, I didn't know that I needed to wear kid's gloves when I talk to other adults on this forum. Welcome to the internet, and all that. But really, I have no interest in attacking you or anyone else here. We are all here to help, the sarcasm and bluntness are included at no charge. I give it, and I take it. I suppose I don't like when other's give me the attitude either... but you and I are just the sensitive type, I guess.

BTW, when did I talk about politics? You should read those links and educate yourself... I took the time to dig them up as a courtesy to YOU!!! I'm talking about bikes, manufacturing, trade, and economics. Politics? Not so much. *shrugs*

#29 ·
The only reason NOT to buy an asian frame is for social reasons, or political reasons. Which is fine, you can feel however you want to feel about those topics.

In terms of just flat out sheer quality, this argument is pretty dead by now. The Taiwanese and Chinese stuff has proven itself many times over by now. Its as good, or even better than US made stuff.

G
#30 ·
In 09 i decided to buy a touring bike and wanted something made in America or at least partly made in America. So in my shopping i noticed that Surly.com was proudly waving the American flag. i looked at the bikes and bought the Surly long haul Trucker. A few weeks later i was cleaning the bike and i noticed that on the bottom it said "made in Taiwan". So i did some research and learned that Surly sold out at some point and my bike was a product of the new deal. it is a good bike. However i wanted a lighter bike later on so this time i had a frame custom built for me in Santa ynex, Calif. Anyway it is made from italian tubing and made in America. The components are shimano 105. Anyway my son bouhg t a motobecane from bikes direct and the bike has been fine. he just recently upgraded to a Cannondale Cadd10 but still has the motobecane. he said the only thing he does not like about the motobecane is that the front end shimmy's on high speed descents. It did cause him to descend at a slower rate. The reason i say the bike was fine because my Eisentraut from the 70's shimmied, My Specialized Allez from the 80's pulled to the right and my Surly had a floating front end feeling. So until my current custom bike which is a lighthouse sequoia i have never owned a bike that worked well in the front end. The lighthouse is my last bike as i am 66y/o. The bike being Columbus Steel and being great will last for decades so i am finsihed buying road bikes. i might buy some other kind of bike maybe. i would like a cool city bike but a lighthouse city bike would be expensive. Just thinking about it. no more off the rack bikes with poor fitting and front end problems for me.

Oh, my LBS will not even speak to me because i would not buy a bike from them using the ride in the parking lot fitting program. When i asked them about a fitting program they said they did not offer one because it took to much time. They felt that standing over the bike and a ride in the parking lot was all that was needed. They selll Specialized anyway and I have not forgot about my Allez that pulled to the right for 11 years. When i bought it Specialized refused to warranty the frame and said i should expect poor alignment with a production frame.

#31 · (Edited)
Surly never manufactured bicycles in the USA, but they are based here. A lot of their assembly is done here. They build wheels here. All the parts are coming from overseas. My Trek 520 was "built" in the USA, it also happens to be one of the last frames welded together in WI. The fork (spinner) and all of the (original) components are imported. It's par for the course. You want an American made frame, you aren't going to a large volume builder.

Oh, my LBS will not even speak to me because i would not buy a bike from them using the ride in the parking lot fitting program. When i asked them about a fitting program they said they did not offer one because it took to much time. They felt that standing over the bike and a ride in the parking lot was all that was needed.
That is an LBS not worth supporting. No reason to turn their nose to competitors bikes, from what I understand, most profit comes from accessories anyways. Personally, I won't buy a bike from a shop unwilling to swap out stems for a test ride. I might be lucky, in that I know shops that will go to that extent to satisfy a customer.

G
#32 ·
Not sure about the Surly. The website had a made in USA flag when i was shopping. But the bike is made in Taiwan. Still wherever it came from it's a solid bike with some handling problems. My youngest son took it over last january.

My LBS is the only shop in the county but I do not really shop there. The owner is cranky and the prices are high. I was buying some Co2 cartridges there but I discovered that amazon sells them for a buck and that immediately changed how I buy those. I just ordered up a box of 30.

Currently I own 2 bikes. A Cannondale M500 that I ride to work. I bought it over 20 years ago and it has an American Flag decal on it. I also have my new bike the Lighthouse made in Santa Ynez Ca. Components are 105. I think 105 is made in Japan but I am not sure about that. I build my own wheels and I went with Mavic open pro, DT spokes. But I am not an anti Chinese shopper or anything. Most of the stuff I buy in the world is made in China.

If I needed a new frame I would buy another Lighthouse.

#35 ·
I've got a Litespeed I want to do this too. There's no clear coat on the bike. I was told Goo Gone works well. Th eframe is older (1999)so I worry trhat the metal exposed that was under the decals for all these years will look a little different because it didin't oxidize any. So even without the decals, there will still be a shadow of the decal. Is there a metal polish that would clear that up?

My other alternative is to buy a new set of decals, but that kinda scares me. One little mistake and it looks terrible.

#36 ·
Yeah, that is a valid concern. I removed my Habanero downtube decals immediately upon receipt but even then could see the outline for awhile -- eventually it evened out. So that could definitely be an issue with an older frame. But yeah, goo gone works well for the residue, but I found I needed heat to remove them initially.

#39 ·
Know someone with a Ti road bike Motobecane, and asked him this question. He rides a fair amount. The reply back was that it's a good bike, but not in the same league as what could be purchased from Moot, Seven or previously Serotta. Ignoring price, which is always hard to do, nobody would ever buy these bikes on pure quality and build alone.

#40 ·
You're right, but you could say the same for just about any brand. If you could ignore price, how many would buy a Trek 1.1 instead of a Madone or a Domane? The attraction, IMHO, is getting a Ti frame at mid-level Al/steel prices.

Reactions: JasonB176
#44 ·
Hope this reply isnt too late. Ive had lots of road bikes in the years i have been riding from bargain carbon, aluminum,a trek aluminum-carbon stays, to a cervelo s2. The smoothest riding, funnest and i might even say best value of all is my new motobecane gran premio comp equipped with shimano 105. Rides great, wont break the bank and will withstand a crash no problem. Compact crank and wide greaing will let you spin up anything, and did i mention its beautiful.

#47 ·
It's amazing how many single post members only come here to praise bikesdirect... definitely the most popular brand with single post members! Crazy coincidence...

#46 ·
I second Torelli4 request.

I'm in the lookup to get a serious mean road bike, requirement is it will have to be good quality Steel or Titanium.
In 2011 Motobecane used to sell the Gran Premio Pro which had Reynolds of above grade as the 520 offered on the GP Comp. A shame it dissapeared.

I'm expecting to order a Le Champion SL Ti as soon as they restock, but the doubt still remains is how much does the GP Comp weights? At first sight the bike does not make you awe as compared to watching the Ora engineering Ti bare metal frame, but the model I might buy costs $2,200 USD against the $800 USD of the GP Comp, so any feedback on that bike is appreciated.

I will use mainly the bike for long distances.

#48 ·
Shills not withstanding, I think their bikes are great for what they are. That caveat is important, in that, most of the frame designs are a little dated, but let's face it, most riders who are seriously considering these bikes don't need or aren't interested in the newest designs. Even the lower level bikes are certainly capable for most types of riding short of racing IMO.

#50 ·
No doubt... there aren't many $400 road bikes in the world outside of a company like BD. Hybrids and MTB, there are options... roadbikes, it's a bit harder to find anything in the BD price range. They are definitely a fit for a particular and needed market segment. Shills not withstanding. :(

FWIW, to the shills, I had more respect for the company before seeing all the false reviews that pop up on here. Just let the product speak for itself and stop chasing people away from the brand due to bs. I've never seen a bad BD review (I'm sure they are out there if I search, but they certainly aren't common). Fake positive reviews are ridiculously common and make it hard to take the product seriously. Seriously...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.