Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bike Ninja

How much does your BikesDirect Bike Weigh?

Please list the model, size, and a pic if possible. I want to start a database of actual weights of the bikes here, that way people who are interested in a bikesdirect bike can factor in the weight, since it isn't listed on the site.

BT, wishing you ride safe
    Immortal Pro, 56 cm, Stock set up w/o pedals 18.5 lbs

BT

'09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem

2010 Motobecane Cafe Sprint, Lg, 22.5 lbs stock w/o pedals

BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I don't have a pic but i have a mercier aero tt that with speedplay light action pedals and carbon cages and with tire change to vittoria rubio pro 3's it weighs 21.24lbs with the stock shimano crap still on it. Easton ea90 wheels and sram rival already ordered will put it under 20lbs. Frame is a 60

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I want to say a little over 21 pounds for my 54cm Windsor Fens. Bit heavy. Don't know what some GOOD wheels and crankset (FSA Vero triple/square taper currently) would drop it down to, but the bike fits me good, rides good, and the Shimano 105 performs smooth so I don't get caught up on the weight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ohvrolla
    I want to say a little over 21 pounds for my 54cm Windsor Fens. Bit heavy. Don't know what some GOOD wheels and crankset (FSA Vero triple/square taper currently) would drop it down to, but the bike fits me good, rides good, and the Shimano 105 performs smooth so I don't get caught up on the weight.

The Windsor website says 19.2#'s. That's quite a difference between advertised and actual weight.

Quote Originally Posted by dayhiker
    The Windsor website says 19.2#'s. That's quite a difference between advertised and actual weight.
    That's not much help. What size and actual weight?
    BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthib
    That's not much help. What size and actual weight?
    It doesn't qualify the size they base the weight on and the weight ist listed just as I listed it.

It doesn't qualify the size they base the weight on and the weight ist listed just as I listed it.
    You can be sure the weight is for the smallest size. But you have missed the point of the post. The OP wants to build a database of actual model/size/weight of BD bikes in stock condition.

So what size and weight is your bike?
    BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    You can be sure the weight is for the smallest size. But you have missed the point of the post. The OP wants to build a database of actual model/size/weight of BD bikes in stock condition.

So what size and weight is your bike?
    I'm clear on the point. I noticed the weight listed of an actual bike and that it differed a good bit from the listed weight (since I was looking at the bike just yesterday) that I thought I'd comment.

I bought a 19" moto elite (hybrid) a few months ago to ridge with the kiddos. It's escaleted to where I now ride with a guy with a Trek 1.5 and another with a CF framed Specialized....which leads me back into a state of gear lust. I didn't set out to be a road rider, but it looks like I'm headed this way which has me checking these threads.

I'll see if I can't weigh my bike and report back. I did a bathroom scale weight a few weeks ago and think it was 28.5#, but will confirm. That correlated pretty well with what's listed, btw.

Day, I owe you an apology. I was not following the thread close and I thought it was your post about the Windsor.

Anyway, 19.2# for what I assume to be the 46cm frame and "a little over" 21 for a 54 cm might not be too far off. Of course, the 19.2 is probably "a bit shy" and the 21+ of the poster might be a little off. I use the "weigh myself then weigh myself and the bike" method, and our sale only reads 0.5# increments.

Then there is always the issue of weighing "apples to apples" I don't know for sure, but I bet the "mfgr's" weight doesn't include pedals as they are seldom sold on road bikes and are billed as "free." And those cheap wellgo's are not light. I bet they are 1# themselves.

Anyway, thanks for adding your Elite's weigh in. Having fun with the kiddos? I salvaged a NEXT ($88 new at wally world) from a dumpster, and spent $20 and an hr getting it ridable. That's my kiddo bike :^)
    BT

'02 Diamondback Hybrid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Just double checked and with nashbar special pedals at an "alleged" 286g, two aluminum water bottle cages adding 120g or more, and mini air pump adding another 100g I tipped the scales at 22 lbs on the dot. Also riding with a different saddle than stock and didn't bother to compare. So stripped the bike would probably be 20.75 lbs give or take. I'm leery of Nashbar's supposed weight so I'll give the bike the benefit of the doubt and say 20.5 lbs which is inline with what I THOUGHT I weighed it at, but I was obviously off a pound . The Windsor website is listing their smallest bike for the 19.2 lbs, which may be a little optimistic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    No apology needed.

We have the same scale

Yeah, I bought it because I knew I wanted better than a Walgoose, but wasn't ready to go all in. I wanted a bike to ride in adjacent neighborhoods and one that wouldn't crap out if I hopped a curb, but one I could ride around in the mornings for exercise before work. Now I'm trying to keep up with a guy on a 13# speedster. My gearhead (I'm an engineer) self kicked in and I had to go learn how the chain ring ratios work. Middle chainring at 60 rpm I'm losing 180 feet per minute on those guys. My wife might kill me if I pick up another hobby. I'm learning to sail a sailboat and I'm big into backpacking.

Day, I owe you an apology. I was not following the thread close and I thought it was your post about the Windsor.

Anyway, 19.2# for what I assume to be the 46cm frame and "a little over" 21 for a 54 cm might not be too far off. Of course, the 19.2 is probably "a bit shy" and the 21+ of the poster might be a little off. I use the "weigh myself then weigh myself and the bike" method, and our sale only reads 0.5# increments.

Then there is always the issue of weighing "apples to apples" I don't know for sure, but I bet the "mfgr's" weight doesn't include pedals as they are seldom sold on road bikes and are billed as "free." And those cheap wellgo's are not light. I bet they are 1# themselves.

Anyway, thanks for adding your Elite's weigh in. Having fun with the kiddos? I salvaged a NEXT ($88 new at wally world) from a dumpster, and spent $20 and an hr getting it ridable. That's my kiddo bike :^)

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    My 53 Ti Heat 17.8 w/o pedals-Bicycling mag weight the full Ultegra version at 17.5 and I think you can guestimate the lower ultegra version at 18-all size 53

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    mikeyp,

How do you like the Heat? I was all set to order one, but they were out of stock in my size. So I went with the Ti Ultegra, which I should receive later this week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    I like it -nice and smooth-been screwing around with different wheel and tire combinations-doubt if there is much dif between mine and yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Have a Bottecchia Euro Sprint from about 3 or so years ago. Weight was listed at 16.9 lbs, I remember that out of the box mine was a bit less than half a pound heavier. It was 17.3 out of the box with no pedals. I did not care much that it weighed more than it said (even though I ride a small frame). Besides scales do differ a bit, and less than half a pound is not an issue (I wanted the Campy it came with). I have reduced it by a bit more than a pound with a new stem, carbon seatpost, saddle, handlebar, skewers, a slightly lighter wheelset (suprisingly the original wheels were not too bad and I put them on my old bike). Most of those upgrades (besides the wheelset which only had a 100g reduction) were cheap.
    I could switch the Alu frame for a CF one, that would probaly take off a pound. But I actually dont mind the Alu frame much, it is sturdy. Despite what people say about BD fames this one is a Columbus Zonal, and it is quite good. I think BD frames get a bad rap for no reason.

However, BD does seem to skimp out on some of the smaller parts like the seatpost, stem, and seat (that original seat was a true pain in the butt, worst seat I ever rode on). However, i was able to find cheap upgrades on Ebay and Nashbar to suit.

Weight is overrated though. I think that it is not too important. Good components are important (Campy Record 10 is IMHO the best), ride quailty is more important (the bike rides well), durability is (no major issues with the bike after a bit over 3 years). A pound or so of weight off the bike will not make a difference (heck if you want less weight just hit the gym).

RoadBikeReview Member
    2010 Windsor Knight: 20.5# with pedals (stock VP clipless pedals)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Good looking bike, now get rid of that abomination of a saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohvrolla
    Good looking bike, now get rid of that abomination of a saddle
    Absolutely NOT!

I actually was thinking of switching it out, but then I did a 75 mile ride and it was comfy the entire time. For whatever reason, it works for me and I'm not going to mess with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Fantom Cross Pro : 22.4 lbs with old shimano 545 spd's in size 56cm

2wd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Motobecane, Outcast 29er, ss, with stock pedals and toe clips plus 2 wtr bttle cages 24 lbs. Real happy with this bike after changeing the stock seat!

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ast29_2100.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Motobecane Century Comp, 55cm, Fully 'dressed', About 19.8 lbs-

That's WITH some kind of clunky toe clip pedals, computer, bottle cages, and tool bag... Basically, the weight it is when I ride it. The only change since the photo is a new, only slightly lighter (but MUCH more comfortable) saddle. Probably shaved a few grams off, but who's counting.

-Andrew

Get off my lawn
    Aug 2009
    56cm Le Champion CF 18.5lbs without full bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How much does your BikesDirect Bike Weigh?-outhouse.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    2010 Fantom Cross Outlaw, 58cm, 23lbs, 6 ounces with Look Quartz pedals.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast