Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DoodleGirl View Post
    So, besides wanting the stickers off, are you happy with your bike? I'm seriously considering a Motobecane, but I'm nervous since I can't try one before ordering. Of course my LBS says the frame is junk.

I've had my Motobecane titanium since Spring of 2008. If it were stolen or destroyed in a crash, I'd buy another one without hesitation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Thank you! It's great to hear from someone who has owned/ridden the bike for awhile. I think I'm settled on BD and will order the Vent Noir. -Though Nashbar makes me curious- mostly because their frames are wonderfully naked!

Cheers.

HTFU!
    So, besides wanting the stickers off, are you happy with your bike? I'm seriously considering a Motobecane, but I'm nervous since I can't try one before ordering. Of course my LBS says the frame is junk.
    Of course they did. Did you press them on how they came to that determination? I would find a different lbs. I would not use an LBS if they were bike snobs who would make you feel unwelcome because of what you ride. Trying to make a sale by pointing out the benefits of free tuneups/adjustments/warranty etc. are one thing. Talking out of their asses to make a sale is another.

I have two lbs' near me and neither talks crap about motobecane frames (at least not to me or the others I know that attend their rides and own them). One guy races for the lbs on his Motobecane ("Sprint" I think...it's yellow)...that is what he could afford...they obviously are fine with it.

I had a 2008 fantom team FS and it was solid. I sold it in 2011 to finance my 2nd Niner.
    I have a 2012 Titanium Cross and it is fantastic. Love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you! It's great to hear from someone who has owned/ridden the bike for awhile. I think I'm settled on BD and will order the Vent Noir. -Though Nashbar makes me curious- mostly because their frames are wonderfully naked!

Cheers.
    I was literally a click away from buying the CR-2 Carbon Road Bike from Nashbar till I matched up Le Champion CF from BD and figured out id be getting a better deal with BD. The Nashbar bike caught my eye due to the naked look. Kind of sad it wasn't worth the price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for the info. It's kinda sad how they talk to sway you one way or another. I've been to every good LBS in a 30 mile radius and they were all the same that way. -All very nice guys, but they are in retail. I don't think they'd say anything negative if I actually brought a MB into the shop. They just say things to put doubt in your mind, which is easy since you can't see or ride the bike. Anyway, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna order a MB. It would make me kinda sick to buy the Specialized or Cannondale in my price range knowing that the components and wheels are all entry level stuff.

Thanks again! Enjoy the ride!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

MB Ti Heat

Thanks to the posts here! I really liked the clean look of the bike without decals - so I tried the CitriStrip gel method. It took a lot longer than I thought, and I ended up doing 3 applications, with 30 minutes each. There was still some ghosting, and WD40 helped a little, and I also used a Scotch Brite pad to rough it up like the rest of the bike.

Here's the pic..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-mb-bd-ti.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks

I like this thread, I just ordered the Rival model and will be going with the "naked" look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    i only hope the the frame is as well made as the decals. fwiw apparently citristrip has a shelve-life. bought Jasco and it worked pretty fast but took a couple apps. WD-40 helped a bit with ghosting. got tired of f'ing with it. going for a ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I actually like the "outline" decals on the Team frame I bought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    I actually like the "outline" decals on the Team frame I bought.
    When Mike(BikesDirect owner) was taking suggestions for what people wanted when he was designing the titanium bikes, people overwhelmingly preferred the outline decals. I doubt I would have stripped the decals if my bike had come with the outline decals.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2015

It Works!

I tried using the Jasco product and it worked 100 percent perfect. The stickers almost came off by themselves! While I've seen some comments about using an eraser wheel, I was concerned about getting into tight spaces with the wheel and if it would leave a lot of particles from heavy use like a regular eraser. I got the Jasco at Home Depot for about $10 but interestingly they did not have the product on the shelf. A guy had to get a box of it out from a storage shelf.

I own a Merlin Titanium and can state that this Jasco product makes removing decals and stickers very easy.

Get me to In&Out
    Just removed the decals from my 2015 Fantom Ti cross bike. Came off in about an hour. Not too much fuss. Did leave a ghost image that I cleaned up with a blue scotch brite pad.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the info. It's kinda sad how they talk to sway you one way or another. I've been to every good LBS in a 30 mile radius and they were all the same that way. -All very nice guys, but they are in retail. I don't think they'd say anything negative if I actually brought a MB into the shop. They just say things to put doubt in your mind, which is easy since you can't see or ride the bike. Anyway, I'm pretty certain I'm gonna order a MB. It would make me kinda sick to buy the Specialized or Cannondale in my price range knowing that the components and wheels are all entry level stuff.

Thanks again! Enjoy the ride!
    Yup my LBS was funny, I went in asking about a $1500 Defy 1 and the sales guy kept referring me to pictures, prices, and trying to test ride a $2600 Defy Advanced 1. I said something like my credit card doesn't go that high, laughed, and then left. Bought a used bike that was Motobecane priced. I would've probably gotten a Motobecane if I didn't find a nice used ride.

Obviously the curiosity is still there for the $2500+ bike, but I'm happy on what I ride now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12