Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame

For those wanting to remove the top tube and down tube decals of their titanium frames, I wanted to post what i found was the easiest way to accomplish this goal. Let me preface this by saying I had read tons of forum posts about using hair dryers, nail polish remover, acetone, mineral spirits, citrus based degreaser. I used these products on the top tube stickers and, while they worked, it still took a lot of rubbing and work. I ended up putting a ton of scratches into the top tube, which then had to be polished out and I am still not 100% happy with the end result in terms of matching the original finish.

I should add none of the stickers on my frame were clear coated. On the advice of a friend, I took a different approach for the downtube stickers and here is what you need.

1. Can of Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy Remover
    2. Some q-tips or cotton swabs
    3. A couple of clean rags (old t-shirts work great)
    4. PLASTIC scraper
    5. (Optional) Goo-Gone.

The Jasco product should be available at most hardware stores and looks like this.

As noted above, do not get the metal type scraper as it will scratch your frame. Get the one with the plastic blades. It will typically look like this

THE STEPS:

0. Work in well ventilated area. Use gloves.
    1. Use cotton swab and "paint" the epoxy remover onto the stickers. The epoxy remover has a thick, jelly like consistency, so it will stay on the sticker.
    2. Here comes the hard part -- Wait 15 minutes. This will be hard...especially when you see the stickers start to magically peel back after a couple minutes. But keep waiting.
    3. Use the plastic scraper to scrape off the stickers. They should practically fall off by themselves.
    4. Wipe everything down with a clean rag.
    5. If there is any sticker material left on the frame, repeat steps 1-4.
    6. If you see any ghosting left by the stickers, you can use a little Goo-Gone with a clean rag and they should come out.

I left the seat tube stickers as I kind of like them. The head tube sticker I was able to remove just by peeling with my finger and any leftover residue was cleaned up with Goo-Gone.

I finished this late last night so I have not taken any pics yet, but I will post some up as soon as I have a chance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Many people have reported that it's even easier if you wrap the tube and decals with Saran Wrap after applying the remover.

What year is your bike. This will help others judge the clearcoat thing. Rumor is that MB started clearcoating 2012.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I should have said I tried the saran wrap thing too with the acetone on the top tube stickers. It did make a difference, but no where near as easy as Jasco product.

My bike is a 2011 model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Good update. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Photo
    http://db.tt/GCwuPSiD

http://db.tt/knV98L0f

Sorry the pics are upside down. Having technical difficulties..
    Last edited by equinoxx; 05-25-2012 at 03:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Disregard lack of handlebar tape and long brake cables. I was in the middle of changing out my brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Sounds easier than my successful effort at removing the decals. I just used acetone, Saran wrap, and paper towels. Most of the decals came off very easily, but it took some determined rubbing with acetone soaked paper towels to make them disappear completely. Key to getting rid of them entirely was rubbing parallel to the direction of the brushed finish.

I kept the seat tube decals, too. And I kept the head tube badge.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Why mess around with chemicals when a decal eraser wheel and an electric drill will remove them in seconds?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Where does one get a "decal eraser wheel" and what do they run?
    3M makes one that runs $40, or you can get a generic one for $10.

And are we pretty certain they will not change the surface texture of the brushed Ti and be obviously noticeable?
    Is rubber harder than titanium?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    Why mess around with chemicals when a decal eraser wheel and an electric drill will remove them in seconds?
    Where does one get a "decal eraser wheel" and what do they run? I'm considering the Ti, and the decals are one of the issues that has me dragging my heals.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gdfred88 View Post
    Where does one get a "decal eraser wheel" and what do they run? I'm considering the Ti, and the decals are one of the issues that has me dragging my heals.

Thanks.
    And are we pretty certain they will not change the surface texture of the brushed Ti and be obviously noticeable?

Thanks again. Greg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    3M makes one that runs $40, or you can get a generic one for $10.

Is rubber harder than titanium?
    I'm not certain about the hardness. But some have said that scratches can be diminished by using a 3M pad (which I thought were plastic) in the same orientation as the the brushed text and that it would show obvious scratches if used in the wrong direction.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gdfred88 View Post
    I'm not certain about the hardness. But some have said that scratches can be diminished by using a 3M pad (which I thought were plastic) in the same orientation as the the brushed text and that it would show obvious scratches if used in the wrong direction.
    I do like "easy" if it does not cause any problems. If someone tries (or has tried) a decal remover on the Moto Ti please let us know and post some pics please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Has anybody done this on the 2012 model? I think I read somewhere on here that they started clearcoating over the decals on the 2012 model. Is that true?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    By the way removing the decals voids the Motobecane warranty.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    By the way removing the decals voids the Motobecane warranty.
    Thanks for your input. I'm not here to debate the enforceability or unenforceability of their warranty language.

Suffice to say, I have yet to see one of these Motobecane ti frames fail due to a manufacturing defect. If my frame ever reaches that point, I'll deal with the warranty issue then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by equinoxx View Post
    Thanks for your input. I'm not here to debate the enforceability or unenforceability of their warranty language.

Suffice to say, I have yet to see one of these Motobecane ti frames fail due to a manufacturing defect. If my frame ever reaches that point, I'll deal with the warranty issue then.
    Agreed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got the 2012 Apex model. It appeared that the graphics were painted rather than decals. I used Citristrip that I got from the local wallyworld. It's a gel that is easy to apply with a cotton swab and easily strips the paint off in less than 10 minutes. The goo wipes off without residue. A faint outline remained, but that disappeared after a wipe-down with a rag with some WD-40. I love the bare titanium look. I kept the ORA sticker because ORA Engineering is located 5 km from my ancestral home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-2012-08-19_15-56-18_958.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by drteming; 08-19-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Super Genius
    ^^^ How bout a few more pics of that bike? Great job.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I was against removing the decals before, but I really like the look of that bike. How about removing the head tube badge and the Moto sticker on the seat tube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The head tube badge was just a thin aluminum stamping, stuck on with double sided sticky foam tape. It peeled off easily and the adhesive was removed with some Goo-Gone. The seat tube Motobecane badge also appeared to be painted on on my frame and came of just as easily as the rest of the logos with the citrus stripper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-2012-08-19_15-57-06_504.jpg   HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-dscn0768.jpg   HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-dscn0769.jpg  

HTFU!
    Nice to see some new info on here. I have a 2012 Cross model and I can verify that it is not clear coated. I followed some of the advice from this thread and after a few snags, I am very happy with the end product. On a different topic, the one thing I am not happy with is the weigh of the bike. My LBS weighed it at 20.05 lbs (9095g). This is with light pedals and cages, and with Schwalbe tubes and tires (Durano)...but honestly, meh. Sure the Terry Fly seat and the Thomson post might be slightly heavier than the stock stuff, but 'whatever' as the bike rides wonderfully and has the versatility I was looking for. And it is a noticeable improvement over my old Fuji Cross (now my wife's bike, thanks honey).

If you want to see the steps I used and pics taken during the process, click on the blog link in my signature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HOWTO: Remove decals from Motobecane Ti frame-007.jpg  

HTFU!
    Ha, just found out that because I created a new account you cannot see any links in my post or signature, so it is at sobrider dot blogspot dot com if you are interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    So I used the Citristrip on my Century Ti frame, with no problems. It did take several applications to get all the lettering off, but I didn't really use the scraper, I was mostly just using a microfiber cloth. There was a bit of ghosting, so I took an abrasive rubber bar (used for applying brushed finish to jewelry) and that took care of it. I also removed the head tube badge, but I left both seat tube badges intact.

The bike looks great "sterilized".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    So, besides wanting the stickers off, are you happy with your bike? I'm seriously considering a Motobecane, but I'm nervous since I can't try one before ordering. Of course my LBS says the frame is junk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast