Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Keep it simple

Make a good quality steel frame with high quality steel tubing and sell the frames for less than $650-750. Mature riders will buy it and slap on the group and wheels they want. And for the lazy buyers, sell a full bike with that frame with Mavic and Ultegra for the hard core senior riders....baby boomers are getting older and they'll buy that bike at less than $1500.

Must have carbon fork.

For looks...thin tubing, classic look with/without butting. Complete bike MUST weigh less than 18.5 lbs.....well less than 19 lbs. Ideal 17 lbs.

No DST's, modern internal cables with ultegra brifters and groupset. Compact cranks (double - no triple) and 11-28 cassettes.......I guess I am just placing an order here......

A good looking steel bike with good components will always sell. I bought my Titanium bike from BD, and I love the bike. I like it better than my CF Tarmac. If BD sells a such a steel bike in the future; I am definitely buying one.

Cheerio
    Phil
    "Caniving Old Fart With Absolutely No Talent"
    "Mind Like Parachute, Works Best When Open"

duh...
    go high end... really high end. the better the better. no mixed groups. forget going cheap here. bring some glory back to the name

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Speaking of steel, how about a Pedersen?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTireFred
    go high end... really high end. the better the better. no mixed groups. forget going cheap here. bring some glory back to the name

I was thinking something like this;
    with Reynolds 725 and either Full Red or Full Ultegra
    or option of either -- with nice Mavic wheels

mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

S-Works Tarmac SL3
    That's a very nice looking bike. I prefer scalloped seat stay ends but, its just a matter of preference. What you have there looks plenty good, and will likely ride every bit as good as any steel bike.

duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect

the group and black trim/bits don't fit the frame's look/style... better to sell it as a frameset. and while you're at it, re-do your decals into something classic and more fitting for this one, or at least put 'em in the more traditional place on the down tube. if it had nice horiz drops you might also sell it to the ss/fg crowd

Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NealH
    That's a very nice looking bike. I prefer scalloped seat stay ends but, its just a matter of preference. What you have there looks plenty good, and will likely ride every bit as good as any steel bike.

THANKS

I am looking to make prices so attractive that even those that are not crazy about steel will be tempted to try it.
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    what is the eta for this bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I am in the market for a steel bike right now. I purchased a planet x ti over your offering only because it was built by lynskey.

Beautiful bike, what would it weigh as speced? I think the polished lugs are the way to go. Why not do the wheels, stem and seatpost in silver as well. You could pretty much count on me to order this bike if speced as is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Looks great! Now chrome the rear ss and cs and sell it as a frame onlt and you have sold one to me. I'm glad your thoughts are in line with mine.

BTW, please make a 50cm frame. Many don't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Nice, but that stem ruins it. Nitto Dynamic and a silver seatpost would do wonders.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    be sure to offer a full range of sizes - including at least 62cm. 63 cm and 64 cm would be nice as well. so many bikes max out at 60 cm and then you've lost me as a potential customer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    The SRAM crank and derailleur really hurt my eyes. Needs a silver post and stem too, but the crank is the worst offender.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Not bad. Skip the Red offering and put Force on it. No one riding a steel frame will care about the extra 150 grams and the Force crank looks nicer.

biding my time
    Last edited by SystemShock; 09-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

biding my time
    Last edited by SystemShock; 09-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.
    System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007

That looks f..ing awesome. It looks great all around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Lightweight steel sounds attractive to me. Someone posted a sub 16 lb or so lemonade recently and I have been looking to duplicate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    We get lots of requests these days for high grade steel bikes

I know what is desired in an entry road in high grade steel [which is a price from $300 to $400 with full double butted 4130 and basic components and setup for sport or commute]

Seems in CX the requests are more in line with middle area; $500 or $600 in full DB 4130 and nice middle level parts with good wheels.

But we have started to get lots of requests for Reynolds or Columbus Lugged race bikes [like what I would call 'club racer'] with all types of different components.

If you wanted a high-grade steel lugged bike like this; what level? spec? price? would be most interesting to you? Double? Triple? Compact? With eyelets? Carbon fork or totalling traditional with tapered 4130 type fork?

And why would you like one; if you would
    and at what price would you feel it was too good of a deal to pass up

A few brands like Raleigh and Jamis and Surly seem to be moving this way - any catch your attention as a super good deal and/or spec?
    There's a pretty good demand for non-lugged 853 frames on ebay. It's a proven design that kind of got it's life cut short with the proloferation of ultra light aluminum and then the influx of cheap China carbon. Once people began to recognize there was a bit of a trade-off and missed the ride qualities of the steel, they found there their options had kinda disappeared.
    I think Shimano 105 components would satisfy many customers. It's proven and higher level components would only add unnecessarily to the price. People search for Ultegra or DA have too many other options.
    I think it's the steel frame people are after, and not necessarily a lugged fork. A carbon fork would keep the weight respectable. Adding eyelets offers more pluses than minuses.
    Now if you'd consider a touring or commuting frame, I think there's a market for a steel option to Nashbar's aluminum frame. Horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts with 132mm spacing and disc brake tabs would open up the options for later transformation to single speed or IGH, mtb hubs, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssm-gd3
    what is the eta for this bike?

I am hoping to have a limited number in RED [called GRAN PREMIO INFERNO] and in ULTEGRA [called GRAN PREMIO PRO] in November [for those that would like to buy themselves a holiday present]

I am going to use the Mavic Ksyrium Elites - as they are know wheels with ready market value [use them or sell them; either is a win]

I am wanting to get pricing such that with full Ultegra or full Red; the package is hard to pass by; I want to get some poeple to try this frame.
    mike
    ~~~~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Nice, but that stem ruins it. Nitto Dynamic and a silver seatpost would do wonders.

Stem is actually real nice; but color is wrong

I ask for production in Silver on stem and post
    mike
    ~~~~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith
    There's a pretty good demand for non-lugged 853 frames on ebay. It's a proven design that kind of got it's life cut short with the proloferation of ultra light aluminum and then the influx of cheap China carbon. Once people began to recognize there was a bit of a trade-off and missed the ride qualities of the steel, they found there their options had kinda disappeared.
    I think Shimano 105 components would satisfy many customers. It's proven and higher level components would only add unnecessarily to the price. People search for Ultegra or DA have too many other options.
    I think it's the steel frame people are after, and not necessarily a lugged fork. A carbon fork would keep the weight respectable. Adding eyelets offers more pluses than minuses.
    Now if you'd consider a touring or commuting frame, I think there's a market for a steel option to Nashbar's aluminum frame. Horizontal or semi-horizontal dropouts with 132mm spacing and disc brake tabs would open up the options for later transformation to single speed or IGH, mtb hubs, etc.

Two interesting points:

1 - 853 costs very close to Ti ~ so we do contrate on the Ti; but there might be a market for some 853

2 - Heck Yes - Touring bikes I think should be steel; our Windsor Tourist & Moto Gran Turismo sell very weel; in fact we are always running out

We have 3 different steel CX bikes in the works; which can do double duty as commuters. A lot of our current CX bikes in Aluminum & Ti are used for commuting & light touring; so it makes sense
    mike
    ~~~~

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4501
    be sure to offer a full range of sizes - including at least 62cm. 63 cm and 64 cm would be nice as well. so many bikes max out at 60 cm and then you've lost me as a potential customer.

I must admit; our first run is 52, 54, 56, 58, and 61
    [getting Blue & Orange on Ultegra bike --- Black & Red on Red bike]

this is a trail run to see how it goes; we often do small runs of bikes we are testing for market acceptance [just did a bunch of Sram MTAs in new 20-speed and 30-speed XO - to find out which was most popular; very interesting results]

I do like doing 46cm and 64cm in several bikes; especially 64cm bikes sell well for us.

I intend to have steel road bikes from $299 to $1999 for 2011; with lots of options; then we can learn what the market is for high-grade steel [already know Tourist market is very good for 4130 bikes]
    mike
    ~~~~

duh...
    I am hoping to have a limited number in RED [called GRAN PREMIO INFERNO] and in ULTEGRA [called GRAN PREMIO PRO] in November [for those that would like to buy themselves a holiday present]

I am going to use the Mavic Ksyrium Elites - as they are know wheels with ready market value [use them or sell them; either is a win]

I am wanting to get pricing such that with full Ultegra or full Red; the package is hard to pass by; I want to get some poeple to try this frame.

once again, it seems you already have something in mind/planned. that's pretty clear from having the specs/available sizing and photos in hand and 2-month lead time... so why ask the board for opinions (besides the ulterior motive)? seriously, is this just more pre-advertising, a.k.a., your heads-up service to prospective buyers? when does the boat cast off, or has it already left?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith
    There's a pretty good demand for non-lugged 853 frames on ebay. It's a proven design that kind of got it's life cut short with the proloferation of ultra light aluminum and then the influx of cheap China carbon. .
    Actually, 853 is better served lugged. Brazing adds more heat, thus making the frame even stronger. TIG welding 853 became more popular because it was faster and cheaper to produce.

853 is my favorite Reynolds tubing. A lugged frame of 853 would cost more but it sure would be sweet!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast