Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

Le Champion SL Ti size dilemma -- 56 or 59?

Long time lurker, first time poster, please forgive me for any newbie mistakes. After lots of research and thought, I am planning on buying a Le Champion SL Ti but am having trouble deciding between the 56 and the 59.

I'm 45, approx 6'0'' tall, crotch to floor inseam with shoes is 35 1/4". I currently ride an 8 year old Bianchi Volpe with a set of Mavic wheels, size 58 cm, which fits me. The TT actual is 570mm, virtual (due to slight slope) is 581mm. Standover is 32.8" which gives me approximately 1.75 - 2.0" of clearance when I measure it myself. I have room, but not a ton. I tend to do long-ish rides and climbs in places like the West Virginia mountains and do not want an "aggressive" geometry.

A few days ago I test rode a new Specialized Roubaix, size 58, and it seemed very upright to me but it felt pretty good. If I bought one I'd probably need a longer stem or maybe even check out the next size up. I also test rode a Cannondale Synapse, size 58, and it seemed to require a little too much reach. I would probably need a slightly shorter stem for that one but overall it seemed like a decent fit.

So, with all this information, do I get the 56 or the 59? My initial hunch was the 59, but Chris from BD responded to the above information by saying that "we would recommend a 56cm LC Ti frame for someone with your measurements, they run big." I've seen some other comments/postings suggesting that these frames "run big" but am not sure what that means and how it would have an impact on me.

I don't want to be crazy obsessive about this, but would like to make the right choice. I'm excited about the bike. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/help, particularly from anyone with actual experience with the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    OP:

I am 6'1.5" tall with a 35" inseam. I purchased the 56cm and have ridden about 500 miles. I like the fit of this bike more every time I ride it. The top tube on these bikes are a bit longer than you might find on another brand's 56cm.

Obviously everyone's measurements are a bit different, but based upon my experience the 59cm would have stretched me out too far.

BTW - there are a few other threads in this forum discussing sizing of this frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the response, this is very helpful. I've seen the other posts, thanks for referring me to them. They shed some light and identified the issue of the frames seeming to "run large." It seems unlikely that I would want the largest size frame they make in this model, and it seems like we are about the same size, and so I'm thinking the 56cm may be the one for me despite my initial thought to the contrary. I'm of course eager to hear any thoughts others may have as well. Thanks again, akeelor.

RoadBikeReview Member

They Run Big

I've ridden my new LeChampion Ti over 1500 miles now and I'll second the notion that they "run big."
    It is not so much the frame but the handlebars and stem. You can look at the geometry chart and compare to your present bike. Compare the virtual top tube length, not just the seat tube. You can raise the seat as far as you want to, of course. The stem on my 59cm measures about 115mm, the reach on the handlebars is about 85mm, and the Ultegra shifters have large, long flats on their tops, making for a lot of length you can stretch out front. The drop on the handlebars is about 145mm. I would think you could look up the particular handlebar and stem on the Ritchey web site; they are also shown in the Excel Sports Boulder catalog.

PS: and they run fast, too!
    It was GREEN, officer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Running fast is good! Thanks very much, poppadaddio -- may I ask how tall you are and what did you consider when you chose the 59cm? If it's a question of the stem being a little long, that's not much of a problem. How do you feel about standover on the 59 as opposed to the 56?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am 6'1" and I like a tall frame with a shorter stem and very little rise in the seat post. My inseam (measured per bike fit) is 880mm. On my 5 other bikes, which oddly range from 54cm to 59cm, I use a 172.5 crank with a 90-110mm 65 degree stem and quite a bit of setback on the Brooks saddle with a top tube of 550-575mm. The distance from the tip of saddle to center of bar is 680mm. Because of the Brooks saddles, I always have a bit of machining to do to get the saddle back to the correct distance from the peddle and I have the same issues with the Le Champ so it is fairly standard in that area.

The 59 Ti fit me fine and, actually, could be a bit taller.

We're no better than mice

56 cm = 175 mm Crank arms?

Thanks for the thread everyone. I have a question, the sizing of crank length v. frame sizing. Are the 175mm available on the 56cm or not?

My inseam is a 32" and height is 6'1". I'm leaning toward the 56cm myself, studying the over all compared to my 58 cm Super Six H3 Cannondale. The cannondale is 55.5 cm centre top tube/centre bottom bracket with an added jetting of frame shooting up about 2 cm above the top tube for the seat post to go into - hence the 58 cm top of seat tube measurement. Actually it's a 56.5 cm centre to top of top tube.+ Any help with the crank arm length info would be much appreciated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayRide
    Thanks for the thread everyone. I have a question, the sizing of crank length v. frame sizing. Are the 175mm available on the 56cm or not?

My inseam is a 32" and height is 6'1". I'm leaning toward the 56cm myself, studying the over all compared to my 58 cm Super Six H3 Cannondale. The cannondale is 55.5 cm centre top tube/centre bottom bracket with an added jetting of frame shooting up about 2 cm above the top tube for the seat post to go into - hence the 58 cm top of seat tube measurement. Actually it's a 56.5 cm centre to top of top tube.+ Any help with the crank arm length info would be much appreciated.

Crank arm length on the 56cm is 172.5mm. I have 175mm on my other bike and I notice zero difference. It is only 2.5mm.

RoadBikeReview Member

Crank Arm Length

That is a subject we won't settle here. There are as many theories as there are riders. (Short: quicker cadence. Long: More leverage, ... )
    BikesDirect can tell you which length crank comes with which frame. You won't have a choice. Take a look at the difference between a 175mm and a 172.5mm. 2.5mm isn't much. I've ridden from 172.5 to 180 and even if I can actually feel the difference, there are pluses and minuses to either.
    It was GREEN, officer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I can't worry about the crank arm -- still trying to get comfortable with the 56 over the 59 -- I'm almost there but I can't handle additional complexity!

Quote Originally Posted by dscott1000
    I can't worry about the crank arm -- still trying to get comfortable with the 56 over the 59 -- I'm almost there but I can't handle additional complexity!
    http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail...2733-0,00.html
    Read that review. It states that the top tube is more/less a 58 cm sizing frame and the sloping top tube offsets the over all real measure centre BB to top tube. So a 56cm is more close to a 58cm. The wheel base is identical to my Cannondale Super Six at 996 v. Motobecane Ti at 995

Specs on 58 cm HiMod Super Six

As for the crank arm length, I live in pretty hilly areas and dislike riding flats, so the preferences are climbing terrain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I think the 56 is the way to go for me. Thanks for the reinforcement! I'm hoping to pull the trigger this week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Just placed an order for the 56cm. Can't wait to get it. Will report back. Thanks to all who provided input!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    You won't be disappointed - I just got my 51cm Le Champion SL Ti 2 weeks ago and it is everything I hoped it would be. And way better looking in person!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That's great to hear, glad you're enjoying it! Mine is scheduled to arrive Wednesday, can't wait.

56 cm comes as follows.

Crank - 175mm

Stem - 110mm

Bars 440mm

per Chris@BD [e-mail today to me]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    56 cm comes as follows.

Crank - 175mm

Stem - 110mm

Bars 440mm

per Chris@BD [e-mail today to me]

That's interesting because mine came with 172.5mm cranks and 120mm stem. Bought it in February.
    Last edited by akeelor; 05-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

How tall are you???

Quote Originally Posted by dstedman
    You won't be disappointed - I just got my 51cm Le Champion SL Ti 2 weeks ago and it is everything I hoped it would be. And way better looking in person!
    I ordered one Le Champion Ti for my neighbor and he is 5'7". The size I picked was 51cm because of the long eff top tube 540mm.

How tall are you?
    What stem size comes with the 51cm?
    Crankset size?

Thank you,
    ZR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    wow

great feedback am in almost exactly the same spot at 6'0"

also hearing that 56 is the way to go. scott lemme know i am right behind you on the trigger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I've had mine a month and have my first 300 miles on it. Getting ready for my first Metric Century. I'm 5'7" with a 31" standover w/o shoes. I got the 53cm and .... flipped my stem and I'm very comfy. 20-25 daily miles and no issues other than "Old Bones"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    My new Le Champ ti (56 cm) came Wednesday, I assembled it without any problems (packaging was excellent, everything was well padded, box unbroken by UPS, etc.). Looks terrific. Only had time to ride around the block but seems like it will be great -- incredibly light with head-snapping acceleration compared to my old Bianchi warhorse (that I nonetheless love). Had to raise the seat fairly high compared to what I've ridden before but I think that will be ok. Will have more to say (with photos) after giving it a real shakedown cruise this weekend!

Hi, if you have time could you take some shots of the bike for us all? I'm 5'11 - 6'0 with an inseam of 33. That equates to a 56 cm by the fit kit.

questions, the real world measurements help us all out. If you have time to grab a cm measuring tape these as the questions below. I was told by BD that the crank arms are 175 in this size [I believe they're mistaken]

1. What size crank arms came with the 56 cm
    2. What was the stem length
    3. Real Word Measurement of the seat tube center to top of seat tube clamp
    4. Real World Measurement of the top tube [centre of head tube level to seat post centre]

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    lol...cool

35 inseam and the fit is right on a 56? i ran into a guy the other day on the ti, i think he was like 5' 10' i think he said. and he was on a 53. and giddy.

i think the 59 is for the tall guy with long legs, like 6'1 and up

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't speak to the parts measurements, but my 59cm was dead on with the spec sheet at 585mm top tube, 590mm center to top of seat post, and 570mm center to top of top tube for seat post. The chain stay is a very short 410mm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Le Champion SL Ti size dilemma -- 56 or 59?-107_0333-v2.jpg
    Hi, if you have time could you take some shots of the bike for us all? I'm 5'11 - 6'0 with an inseam of 33. That equates to a 56 cm by the fit kit.

questions, the real world measurements help us all out. If you have time to grab a cm measuring tape these as the questions below. I was told by BD that the crank arms are 175 in this size [I believe they're mistaken]

1. What size crank arms came with the 56 cm
    2. What was the stem length
    3. Real Word Measurement of the seat tube center to top of seat tube clamp
    4. Real World Measurement of the top tube [centre of head tube level to seat post centre]
    Here's a pic of my 56cm

Crank arm length = 172.5mm
    Stem length = 120mm
    TT = 57.2cm spot on
    ST = 56cm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast