Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

LeChamp Ti as a gravel bike?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  ssmd 
#1 ·
I've truly enjoyed my 2012 LeChamp Ti from day 1. On a few rides, I've ventured a little of the beaten path down a gravel/dirt road, but since it's still first and foremost a road bike, I've been a bit hesitant to do too much serious gravel riding.

So my question is, has anyone thrown on some gravel knobbies and turned their LC Ti into a gravel road bike? Think the CF fork can take the punishment? What about the frame or the stock Mavic Ksyriums?

TIA!

#2 ·
So my question is, has anyone thrown on some gravel knobbies and turned their LC Ti into a gravel road bike?
With 405mm chain stays not sure why anyone would try. Will it even fit a 28C road tire?

#3 ·
Think the CF fork can take the punishment? What about the frame or the stock Mavic Ksyriums?
Yes, yes and yes. Bikes are tough.

Stuff the biggest road tires you can fit in the frame and brakes and go ride it. Unless the surface is very soft or very rocky, you will manage just fine with slicks.

No hucking.

#4 ·
The limiting factor on my 2011 LeChamp Ti is the rear brake bridge. I can barely fit 25mm Michelin Lithion 2 tires (which actually measure out to 26+mm for me); 25mm Michelin Pro4 Service Course were even wider, and rubbed the brake bridge. So "gravel knobbies" are unlikely to fit.

#6 ·
For me and at my size, it is all about the tires. Smaller than 28 is useless for me unless nice and graded. Buy rather like 37-8CM actual size for logging road and chucked up surface. And they are fine for smooth graded as well. 6'1" and 210lb.

#11 ·
Has anyone tried taking it on the gravel? I'm looking for a bike that can do some gravel (for stress-free mileage - i.e. no distracted drivers) but be good on the road (for doing some triathlons - not looking to be competitive).

I was thinking of the LeChampion because I saw the review from this website (Review: Motobecane Le Champion Team Ti | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos) say they put 30c tires on it:

"These Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels performed flawlessly. The tires were good too, but we upgraded them to Michelin 30c tires for more mixed terrain capabilities."

But maybe the better route would be to get the Fantom Cross TI and throw road tires on it for road duty?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#12 ·
Has anyone tried taking it on the gravel? I'm looking for a bike that can do some gravel (for stress-free mileage - i.e. no distracted drivers) but be good on the road (for doing some triathlons - not looking to be competitive).
I routinely take mine on gravel. It's a fine bike on 23s -- 25s will only make it better. Don't think you could go much bigger on that frame though.

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.