RoadBikeReview Member

Mercier Draco Dura Ace VS Motobecane Century Pro

Hey guys!

I haven't been into road bikes for decades, but I am now trying to get a good deal. Saw these two bikes and thought I'd get some opinions.

The Mercier seems to be the better deal, being lighter (a whole WHOPPING 2 lbs!) and with what to me seems to be better parts (DURA ACE 7800 vs Ultegra 6600). They're priced the same, so I'm guessing the Moto has a better frame???

Moto sure is a nicer looking bike, but I couldn't care less about the appearance. I care about performance

Any thoughts?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../draco_wcs.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._08_carbon.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apparently the differences are:

The aluminum frame Draco has better top of the line DuraAce and Ritchey WCS cockpit and wheelsets..
    The Carbon frame Moto has a mixed of Ultegra drivetrain and 2nd tier Ritchey cockpit and wheelsets.

The question which I cannot answer for you is, which has more priority on your part?...frame or components?

Performance? ... both are capable of winning a race or a double century ride.

The Carbon vs Aluminum debate I believe is on-going at the Bike, Frame boards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To what midlife posted I would add that a carbon frame will absorb a lot of road noise while a full aluminum frame will ride a bit rougher.

However, if performance is the thing you want the most, then the lighter Draco with full Dura Ace would probably suit you best. You can always get a different seat.
    It takes forever to reach a destination that does not exist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the input guys!

I don't know what's more important to me - the frame or the component? What should be more important? I guess Oversane answered it for me

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Draco's frame is Columbus Zonal Butted aluminum. The workmanship and finish are first rate in my book. I did find the frame surprisingly comfortable for an aluminum.

Just wanted to point out that the frame was not sacrificed for the components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    There's no real performance difference for a rec rider between Dura-Ace and Ultegra. There is a performance difference in wheels. You can save $400 by going with the Mercier Serpens LTD30 which is the same as the Draco except uses a full Ultegra instead of Dura Ace and has a triple front crank instead of a double. It's not clear if you prefer a triple v double since the Century Pro is a triple too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks!