Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Talking Motobecane Titanium frames

Does anyone know which company in Asia actually designs and manufactures the Titanium frames for Motobecane? I ordered one recently and am just curious about where it is actually built.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

I believe they are made in Taiwan

I believe they are made in Taiwan. And i believe they are made specifically for Motobecane. I would really like to know how you like the frame since I am thinking of purchasing one myself. Also if anyone has one of their titanium frames...how well is it made. It looks like a great deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by doctorspokes
    I believe they are made in Taiwan. And i believe they are made specifically for Motobecane. I would really like to know how you like the frame since I am thinking of purchasing one myself. Also if anyone has one of their titanium frames...how well is it made. It looks like a great deal.
    I am curious about which other bike names may be "cousins" to Motobecanes. Cousins meaning bikes that are built by the same factory in Asia but given a different name/plate when sent to the US. Giant is the largest company that makes frames for other brands including Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, and Bianchi. I have read that Motobecane frames MAY be made by Kinesis (makes Raleigh), Martec (makes Kestrel and Orbea), or even possibly Giant but I have yet to see any solid info.

I have yet to receive my Ti bike. Motobecane is currently taking advance orders and will not ship until the end of this month. Once I give the bike a whirl, Ill share my thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    I'd bet that they are made in china, since a lot of Ti frames are chinese, inexpensive and quite good. I, got one custom made Ti frame a while back by a distributor that does not exist anymore.

The motobecanes look very similar to the Tomasso Ti frames that were distrubuted by another importer.

If you so a search of china and titanium frames you will find lots of factories that sell them. Same for Taiwan. However, the Taiwanese are making their stuff in china too.

If you want an inexpensive ti frame, always consider Habaneros sold by Mike Hickey. http://www.habcycles.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, most of the aluminum is Kinesis, since it says so on the frame. There was a post somewhere in this subform where Mike mentioned what company makes the BK steel and ti bikes... can't seem to find it now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andresmuro
    I'd bet that they are made in china, since a lot of Ti frames are chinese, inexpensive and quite good. I, got one custom made Ti frame a while back by a distributor that does not exist anymore.

The motobecanes look very similar to the Tomasso Ti frames that were distrubuted by another importer.

If you so a search of china and titanium frames you will find lots of factories that sell them. Same for Taiwan. However, the Taiwanese are making their stuff in china too.

If you want an inexpensive ti frame, always consider Habaneros sold by Mike Hickey. http://www.habcycles.com/

Please do not place that bet! Motobecane Ti bikes are not made in China - they are made in taiwan.

It is true, we could make a bit more money by paying less and getting Ti frames from China. But that does not fit with our objective on these Ti bikes.

You are right, lots of taiwan companies build stuff in China; and lots of frames on bikes from Specialized, Trek, Scott, and so on come from China. Many seem very nice. BUT for Ti frames I really like the workmanship we are getting out of our Taiwan frame factory.

In time, I think everyone will see enough reviews and posts to completely understand what we are doing with our Ti line.
    mike
    http://www.bikesdirect.com - supports Mtbr.com and RoadBikeReview.com as great places to exchange ideas
    ~~~~
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." – Mahatma Ghandi

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect
    Please do not place that bet! Motobecane Ti bikes are not made in China - they are made in taiwan.

It is true, we could make a bit more money by paying less and getting Ti frames from China. But that does not fit with our objective on these Ti bikes.

You are right, lots of taiwan companies build stuff in China; and lots of frames on bikes from Specialized, Trek, Scott, and so on come from China. Many seem very nice. BUT for Ti frames I really like the workmanship we are getting out of our Taiwan frame factory.

In time, I think everyone will see enough reviews and posts to completely understand what we are doing with our Ti line.
    Just to clarify, I never felt that they stuff that you sell is of bad quality. I think that you all sell great stuff at great prices. I've seen your stuff and like it. Also, I've ordered wheels from Bikeisland and always get treated very well.

Having said that, Chinese Ti seems really good stuff as well as inexpensive. So, I am surprised about your stuff coming out of Taiwan. I stand corrected.

Andres

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I own this frame and absolutely LOVE it. Mind you, I haven't been on many other frames, but the quality of this bike is amazing. It rides smooth and it VERY stiff. The diamond downtube is 30% stiffer than round tubes. It's very light and looks MUCH better than it does in the pics on the bikesdirect website. Mind you, It's expensive compared to the carbon frames, but it will last a lifetime.

Also, carbon frames vary in quality vastly. TI is TI (except for the now rare 6/4 TI). The welds are geometry is what really set any frame apart. I think you'll be happy with this frame in terms of quality.

My advice, get the cheapest model and replace the wheels with Neuvation or Flit. Brand name wheels are a waste of money.

RoadBikeReview Member

TI Frame

I also have the LeChampion Ti frame (not the team frame) and love it. However, I'm a mountain biker and cannot compare as this is my first road bike. All I can say is that it's wicked light and even the Ritchey wheels/bar/seat post have held up. The only thing I changed is my saddle. It's worth every penny and would probably cost $5k if it were Litespeed or comparable. (No I'm not a shill for BD).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...0_frameset.htm

Looks like a pretty nice deal for people who might want to switch parts over from their current bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Pulled the trigger

Well folks, I just pulled the trigger on a new LeChamp TI with the full Ultegra setup. I am optomistic, yet sceptical, but I am looking forward to the new bike. I will keep you informed of how everything goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Thumbs up motobecane titanium

i hope you like your new buy. i have the le champion sl aluminum with ultegra and i love it. let me know your impresions on the titanium as son as you ride it since i just checked out the bd website and the have the titanium framesets in stock for $899. i think is a pretty good deal. and i probably will up-grade my current aluminum frame with the titanium. so far i put over 8000 miles on mine with out any problems. good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Thumbs up Just Got It!

Well, my LeChamp SL Titanium arrived. I ordered it on Labor Day Monday, and it was on my doorstep on Friday morning. The box was in pretty good shape... A couple of insignificant dings but no major signs of abuse. The bike was safely packed away inside. It took about 10-15 minutes to remove all of the 17 pounds of boxing, packing, tubing, plastic, tape and rubber bands which held it together in the box. Having done it now once before, I can say if you were not at all that particular with your bikes, you could put it together in about 35- 40 minutes after removing the packing. I took about 2 hours, but I am anal retentive about these things. I checked pretty much every screw and part on the bike (just to put things in perspective it usually takes me over an hour to do a good clean up job on my old road bike – so I am pretty particular). I would say I was pretty impressed by the factory setup. If as I say you weren’t too particular you could ride it as is after the final assembly. Only one of the brake pads really needed to be adjusted, but I fine tuned and toed in all four. The front and rear derailleurs were workable as is, but I did some fine tuning on both to make them perfect. I was most worried about the wheels, frankly because I have no experience in truing wheels myself, and I was afraid I would have to bring them to the LBS. I am happy to say that both of the Mavics were straight as an arrow. No tweaking required. The road pedals which come with the bike look pretty decent, Shimano 105’s, but as I use SPD’s, so I ordered a new set on line.
    The bike weighed in at exactly 17 lbs for the 53 inch model, without the pedals. I took it out for a shakedown ride today and after 16 miles today, all I can say is SWEET!! The ride was smooth but lively. I found the bike to be very responsive, especially if you kept your weight back a little in the saddle. The ride was not as jumpy as the Trek Madone. If you shift your weight a little more forward it rides a little more like the Roubaix expert, but not as sedate. The stem which comes with the bike also has a little up angle and the head tube is a little higher like the Roubaix also so I found it to be very relaxed and easy on the back. The Ultegra 6700 groupset is sharp as a tack and works perfectly. The seat post is only fair and the saddle is a little cheesy so I will be swapping them out for my old carbon specialized pave post and Bontragger Race XL saddle, and I can’t wait to try it out with those. I haven’t decided if I am going to keep the wheels or swap them for my old Reynolds set.
    I will post back after I have some more miles on the bike and give an update. At this point all I can say is Bravo!! Bikes Direct, I am a believer. I was really worried, but now I think I got the deal of the century. I don’t think I could have come close to this quality for under 4G’s. If anyone wants, I can post some of the “no shill pics” later. As it is I wrote too much for one post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by psykorunr
    I am curious about which other bike names may be "cousins" to Motobecanes. Cousins meaning bikes that are built by the same factory in Asia but given a different name/plate when sent to the US. Giant is the largest company that makes frames for other brands including Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, and Bianchi. I have read that Motobecane frames MAY be made by Kinesis (makes Raleigh), Martec (makes Kestrel and Orbea), or even possibly Giant but I have yet to see any solid info.

I have yet to receive my Ti bike. Motobecane is currently taking advance orders and will not ship until the end of this month. Once I give the bike a whirl, Ill share my thoughts.
    All of the evening showers around NC have kept me from riding the my new Motobecane Titanium bike until recently. I finally took it for a couple of rides along the BR Pkwy, totaling about 40 miles, to see how it handled. The ride is indeed supple, as advertised…not too stiff and not spongy. As mentioned in a prior post, some of the tubing is triangular instead of circular to enhance the ride. Bumps were absorbed much better than they are on an aluminum bike. My only complaints are with the brake pads and the saddle. The pads (Cane Creek SCR3) don’t seem to be “grippy” enough and the saddle (Ritchey Pro) is Spartan and does not have a center cut out. I have replaced the saddle with a comfortable Carbon/Ti cut out from Performance/Forte but I have yet to replace the pads. Other than those two items, I really like the bike. The Ultegra shifters, Ultegra deraillers, and FSA bottom bracket/cranks are very nice and smooth, except the rear derailler does need a minor tune up. Some people on the net have criticized the Mavic Aksium wheels for being too heavy but I like them and could not detect an unusually slow acceleration. The Vittoria Rubino Pro tires with Kevlar protected the tube well when going over several sections of gravel. Overall I am very pleased. From my perspective, the ride is of similar quality to Cannondale carbon fiber and Waterford custom steel bikes that I recently test rode.

Even though I had to assemble the bike for ~30 minutes, determine my proper fit, and need to take it to a LBS for a tune up, that time and cost is marginal compared to the $1500-2000 savings from not buying a Litespeed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Cane Creek

That is why I went for the few extra bucks and bought the $2G model. Because not only did it the $1700 model have the FSA crank, but it had the Cane Creek brakes instead of the Ultegra brakes. I used to ride Tektro Brakes and they were marginal at best. I was able to beef them up a bit by using the Aztec Mag 2 brakes and pads. But after I test rode a new bike with the Ultegra callipers and brake pads I was blown away. I did not want to make that substitution for the Cane Creek. It was a tough choice too, because the FSA was a compact - which I really wanted. I think Mike would have been better off just selling two full Ultegra versions...with and without the compact. It would have been much better quality and would have prevented some negative reviews on forums like these

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    That is why I went for the few extra bucks and bought the $2G model. Because not only did it the $1700 model have the FSA crank, but it had the Cane Creek brakes instead of the Ultegra brakes. I used to ride Tektro Brakes and they were marginal at best. I was able to beef them up a bit by using the Aztec Mag 2 brakes and pads. But after I test rode a new bike with the Ultegra callipers and brake pads I was blown away. I did not want to make that substitution for the Cane Creek. It was a tough choice too, because the FSA was a compact - which I really wanted. I think Mike would have been better off just selling two full Ultegra versions...with and without the compact. It would have been much better quality and would have prevented some negative reviews on forums like these

Its not so much that they are "Shimano" brakes its that they are shimano brake pads. I have the SCR5 brakes and I replaced the shoes with 5500 pads first...they were terrible but an improvement over the cane creek. I recently replaced them with DA7900 Pads, which will fit in any 9 speed shoe. the 7900 pads have helped me overcome my fear of decending, going from 18-20 mph.... to just a hair under 40mph... don't believe me? Try them and see for yourself
    "The thrilling chill of pleasure down my spine is worth more to me than the pain"

"What is more beautiful than an S-works? Not Much."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    hey, Yea please post some pics. I just ordered my moto titanium sl. it should be here by thursday.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Hey, guys. Tell me how tall you guys are....what's your inseam etc...

...what size Le Champion did you guys order?

I'm currently riding a 56cm bike, but, looking at the Le Champion's specs, it looks like I'll need a 53 if I order one.

Tell me about the bike's you ordered--how they feel and are working out as far as sizing.

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I'm 6 foot even (without shoes). I dunno my inseam.

I'd buy the 53cm if i were you. The sizing is off. At 56 I had to shorten the stem to 90mm. It fits pretty well now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I've been telling him that for some time. He won't listen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    Hey, guys. Tell me how tall you guys are....what's your inseam etc...

...what size Le Champion did you guys order?

I'm currently riding a 56cm bike, but, looking at the Le Champion's specs, it looks like I'll need a 53 if I order one.

Tell me about the bike's you ordered--how they feel and are working out as far as sizing.

Thanks.
    I am 5-10 with a 32-in inseam. I ordered a 56cm. It fits well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    This photo is of a sticker attached to my Motobecane Titanium frame. It says that it is Aerospace grade and hand crafted in Taiwan. What I am wondering is the meaning of the initials "DB" and "ORA". Is that the initials of the Taiwanese company that makes this frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I just got my titanium Le Champion on Monday. The box arrived in great shape and the set up was quite simple. So far I have added a Trek 11i computer and Shimano a530 pedals, so I can use my MTB shoes for now.

The Cane Creek brakes do seem a little weak compared to the V brakes on my Trek 7.3 that I'm used to, and I was surprised the frame is not clear coated to protect the graphics. Other wise I have no complaints, even the saddle has not been an problem, yet, but I only have 20 miles on the bike so far.

As for sizing... I am 6'2'" 34" inseam and went with the 59cm, I am very pleased with the fit. The next size down is a 56cm and I'm sure that would have been too small. I used this online fit calculator.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

The frame dimensions the calculator recommended for an "Eddy" fit agreed almost exactly with the 59cm frame dimensions listed on the BD website.

So far I am very pleased this bike. The craftsmanship put into the frame is very good, and I'm sure with proper maintenance this bike will last a long long time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008

Fit and size

Give me a couple more days to post the pics. I just took them on my daughter's camera and need to figure out how to upload them here. As for sizing, I am 5'9' and my inseam is 31 inches measured tight to the crotch. I went with the 53 model although Chris at BD thought I might be better with the 51. The fit for me is more relaxed on the 53, because it has a taller head tube. Also the Ritchy stem which comes on the bike has a significant pitch. I flipped the stem to the upward tilt position which cuts down on my reach and makes for a more relaxed position, but you could flip it over to the down position for a more aggressive fit. The stem might be a little long though, if you fliped it down, depending on your flexibility and arm length. My last bike was a 50-51 model and my seat was significantly higher than the bars. It was a fairly agressive fit though, and I could not comfortably ride on the drops for any significant amount of time. Now my saddle and the bars are almost level. I am certainly more upright now on the 53.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

2010 Motobecane Le Champion Ti first impressions

Just got the $1700 Moto Le Champ Ti model with the Ultegra and FSA. 19 miles last night and 10 miles before work this morning and I can say that I already love this bike. I am thinking it rides better than my Madone 4.7 but that is comparing apples to oranges. As stated in previous posts: titanium is the real deal. The ride is fast and smooth; a cross between steel and carbon (I hate aluminum's feel).

I am 5'6" with a 28.5" inseam and the 48cm fits perfectly. Had to move the seat forward just a bit and I might put on a 10mm shorter stem but other than that it fits just right.

If you are thinking of purchasing a titanium bike from this line from BD you will not be disappointed. BTW: I DO NOT work for BD! This is my second bike from them and YES, I buy a lot from my LBS too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast