Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    My mistake was pulling that tab off thinking it was right to begin with.. its ok. I just need to take my time with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I can't help but notice how similar the gravity frame is to a giant defy frame. I compared the two including the geometry measurements and they are pretty close if not identical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    2nd post so just a heads up. I ordered the 2011 Gravity Comp 30, It came on Monday, I haven't really ridden it yet due to not having enough time. I did manage to get it setup though. It's a pretty light bike, but the frame just isn't doing it for me. I'm thinking about taking all the parts off and swapping them into a carbon frame. We'll see after I take it out for a 30 mile test run this weekend. I don't have an actual scale but I'm willing to say around 22lbs with my shimano pd520 pedals installed. My commuter bike ('09 Raleigh Sport w/ Planet bike rack) weighs 26lbs. So far though I like the Gravity, I'm kind of wishing I did spend the extra $100 for lighters wheels/Ultegra though The darker color looks better as well for this bike. The silver colors not bad, but it just looks kind of weird for me.. I've always had black bikes for the most part though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Crank Set

I still have not had a chance for an extended ride. I did ride down the road and back as I was testing out my adjustments to the front and back derailers. I got those corrected, however noticed something that was not an issue on my old bike frame. When turning at slow speed, where you turn the wheel at a greater angle, my toe would clip the pedal. Donít know if anyone else has experienced this? Is this due to the compact frame or length of the pedal cranks or maybe a combination of both? Not an issue while riding, but will be in driveways or elsewhere a hard turn is needed. Be careful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I attached Raceblade fenders, and my toe will hit them turning at low speed. I don't think I was having that problem with just the bare wheel tho - my feet might be just small enough to be ok.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fundora2
    I still have not had a chance for an extended ride. I did ride down the road and back as I was testing out my adjustments to the front and back derailers. I got those corrected, however noticed something that was not an issue on my old bike frame. When turning at slow speed, where you turn the wheel at a greater angle, my toe would clip the pedal. Donít know if anyone else has experienced this? Is this due to the compact frame or length of the pedal cranks or maybe a combination of both? Not an issue while riding, but will be in driveways or elsewhere a hard turn is needed. Be careful.
    I noticed this too. Granted I got the comp 30 and not the pro 30, but same geometry afaik.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sharrn
    I noticed this too. Granted I got the comp 30 and not the pro 30, but same geometry afaik.
    Hmmm ... I do have the same issue with my Pinarello Gallioleo. So nothing new here. And yes, it's a big issue. I forgot about this last year, was circling on the street in front of our house, chatting with neighbars, hit my shoes/pedals ... and had a slowmotion wipeout. The laughter was great, and my cracked rib afterwards didn't help. So yes, this can be a pain ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sharrn
    2nd post so just a heads up. I ordered the 2011 Gravity Comp 30, It came on Monday, I haven't really ridden it yet due to not having enough time. I did manage to get it setup though. It's a pretty light bike, but the frame just isn't doing it for me. I'm thinking about taking all the parts off and swapping them into a carbon frame. We'll see after I take it out for a 30 mile test run this weekend. I don't have an actual scale but I'm willing to say around 22lbs with my shimano pd520 pedals installed. My commuter bike ('09 Raleigh Sport w/ Planet bike rack) weighs 26lbs. So far though I like the Gravity, I'm kind of wishing I did spend the extra $100 for lighters wheels/Ultegra though The darker color looks better as well for this bike. The silver colors not bad, but it just looks kind of weird for me.. I've always had black bikes for the most part though.
    Could you post up a picture of the comp 30? I was actually debating between the pro 30 or the comp 30. I just want to see how it looks in silver. Sounds to me like the lighter wheels and ultegra shed about 1 lbs off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xancel
    Could you post up a picture of the comp 30? I was actually debating between the pro 30 or the comp 30. I just want to see how it looks in silver. Sounds to me like the lighter wheels and ultegra shed about 1 lbs off.

Ask and you shall receive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

First Ride

I went for my regular 28 mile ride. I felt good on the 50inch pro 30 compared to my 52 cm strada. It did feel a bit more compact as i did not feel as stretched out over the top tube. I could notice my back and shoulders were not as fatigued.
    Still need to tweak some adjustments to the seat and handlebars to get the comfort set.

I did not have any overlap issues while riding, but was cognizant of it, especially when starting from a stop. The cranks don't feel as solid as my old shimano 105 cranks; may be due to the light weight? Although the pro 30 weighs about the same maybe 1pound lighter than my 14 year old bike. I did notice a couple of times the chain slip or almost like it changed gears. It was when I was putting a lot of force on the crank. It may have been the rear derailer changing the gear under pressure? or maybe it was in between gears? I will have to keep an eye out.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a new bike because I know it is not going to make me go any faster. And sure enough, I averaged my usual 16.5mph on my ride and felt a bit more comfortable than my old bike. We will see as I ride more, how the bike breaks in.
    For now I am glad I didn't break the bank on a more expensive bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fundora2
    I went for my regular 28 mile ride. I felt good on the 50inch pro 30 compared to my 52 cm strada. It did feel a bit more compact as i did not feel as stretched out over the top tube. I could notice my back and shoulders were not as fatigued.
    Still need to tweak some adjustments to the seat and handlebars to get the comfort set.

I did not have any overlap issues while riding, but was cognizant of it, especially when starting from a stop. The cranks don't feel as solid as my old shimano 105 cranks; may be due to the light weight? Although the pro 30 weighs about the same maybe 1pound lighter than my 14 year old bike.
    I guess it's easier to drop 10 lbs on your belly than 2 lbs off your bikes ;-)

I did notice a couple of times the chain slip or almost like it changed gears. It was when I was putting a lot of force on the crank. It may have been the rear derailer changing the gear under pressure? or maybe it was in between gears? I will have to keep an eye out.
    Same here when I did set it up. Figure I let my daughter ride it for say 200 miles or so and then readjust things from scratch. It doesn't help getting picky about things there if the day to day temperature difference is more than 40F, and it's rainy outside. The only thing there that I am unhappy about is the front derailer, which sometimes has a problem switching to the middle under pressure. Kind of tricky for me to set up, as my knees are shot and I peddle high RPM, while my daughter does very low RPM and a lot of pressure ...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Triple Chainring grinding noise

Started riding my bike to work. So far so good.
    I have noticed a grinding noise on the large front chainring.
    At first I thought it was the chain rubbing the derailer, however the noise was only about half the pedal stroke.
    I checked the bike out last night and noticed there are rivets around the chainring very near the teeth. It appeared the outside rivets were right under the chain, which is fine.
    However I looked at the inside of the ring and noticed a rivet was right under the teeth.
    I believe this and another rivet are rubbing the chain and I am getting that grinding noise.
    I have attached some pictures2 of the inside, 1 of the outside rivet).
    Has anyone noticed this issue? I emailed BD this morning and will let you know their response.
    My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-may24-014.jpg

My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-may24-016.jpg

My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-may24-017.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fundora2 View Post
    Started riding my bike to work. So far so good.
    I have noticed a grinding noise on the large front chainring.
    At first I thought it was the chain rubbing the derailer, however the noise was only about half the pedal stroke.
    I checked the bike out last night and noticed there are rivets around the chainring very near the teeth. It appeared the outside rivets were right under the chain, which is fine.
    However I looked at the inside of the ring and noticed a rivet was right under the teeth.
    I believe this and another rivet are rubbing the chain and I am getting that grinding noise.
    I have attached some pictures2 of the inside, 1 of the outside rivet).
    Has anyone noticed this issue? I emailed BD this morning and will let you know their response.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	may24 014.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	231402

Name:	may24 016.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	231403

Name:	may24 017.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	231404

The screws on my bike looks nothing like yours. It is much smaller and does not touch the chain at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Triple Chainring Grinding Noise

I re-checked the noise yesterday and it is not the rivets.
    It appeared the derailer, when chain was on the big ring, was rubbing the inside of the middle crankset. I raised the derailer a bit and it appears to be working.
    It was late so I did not get a chance to test it out much. I plan on riding tomorrow and will know if that fixed the problem.
    But I think the problem was the front derailleur was positioned too low and was rubbing the inside of the middle crank when in the large chain-ring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Hi Everyone,

I am too new to cycling. Came across BD and found it could save me a lot for my first road bike.

I also have my eyes on Gravity Pro 30. I can't really find any reviews on Gravity bikes except this thread.

By looking at the spec of this bike, other than the ultegra 6700 components, rest of the components are a bit lower quality (crankset, brake, wheel and etc).

Will you be considering upgrading these parts later in the future? Do you think it will cost more to upgrade these parts than buying a similar spec well-known branded bike at first place?

How are the overall experience with BD? I found mixed review and some of them were clearly marketing crap.

Please excuse me if my questions don't make sense. I am just hoping to get best value and reliable bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stinghurt View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I am too new to cycling. Came across BD and found it could save me a lot for my first road bike.

I also have my eyes on Gravity Pro 30. I can't really find any reviews on Gravity bikes except this thread.

By looking at the spec of this bike, other than the ultegra 6700 components, rest of the components are a bit lower quality (crankset, brake, wheel and etc).

Will you be considering upgrading these parts later in the future? Do you think it will cost more to upgrade these parts than buying a similar spec well-known branded bike at first place?

How are the overall experience with BD? I found mixed review and some of them were clearly marketing crap.

Please excuse me if my questions don't make sense. I am just hoping to get best value and reliable bike.
    I had the same problem when researching this bike. I couldn't find ANY reviews on it on google... so i just went by faith. If you are looking to upgrade parts in the future, i would suggest you buy a bike with a better frame. You would probably be spending more money upgrading in the future and i dont think it's worth it for this frame. The components on this bike are more than good enough if you are new to cycling, this bike will last you a good 2 years (depending on how much you ride). Get more experience in riding, save up and then you'll know what to invest in on your next bike. Well.. that's what i'm planning to do at least. In short, no to upgrading for ME at least.

As for BD, shipping is fine, easy to assemble (it was my first time, took me about 30mins with unboxing), i would say it's positive. Like my previous post, the front shifting plate was damaged. Took the pictures, sent it to bd, replacement came in 3 days. I dont know if it's a hit or miss with the experience, but maybe other people that bought the bike here can chime in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I just found out that this bike has exactly the same as Giant's Defy. It could come out from the same factory, at least use the same geometry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I had a good experience with Bikes Direct. Fast shipping, nothing damaged, etc.. I wish I would have had a chance to ride the bike first though. I don't like the way the frame feels. I just purchased a carbon frame/fork giant tcr c2. though. I'm swapping all the guts off the Gravity to this frame/fork. I'm not saying the Gravity frame sucks, It just wasn't what I was looking for. I wanted a bit more agressive lower stance. Also my feet hitting the front wheel when turning sometimes scares me. It's been preventing me from riding the bike. I've had it a month and maybe put 4 miles on it. I'm sure I could have avoided most of the issues by getting a larger size, but I generally ride a 53-54cm. Neither of those were available at the time. only 50cm(what I got) or a 56cm I believe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Alright guys,

I did it. After I get it and put some miles on it in several weeks, I will write some review on BD and this bike.

Stay tuned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

color?

xancel - the bd website lists blue and gloss black for color options right now. Yours looks like neither. What color is that? Thanks - I'm a noob looking for input on this bike and this thread has helped a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    opusrf4,

I think you are looking at the Pro20. they are pretty much the same bike except different crankset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sharrn View Post

Ask and you shall receive.
    Wow the frame is just like the Avenue B. I just purchased. I'm sure the components are upgraded though. And I LOVE my bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by opusrf4 View Post
    xancel - the bd website lists blue and gloss black for color options right now. Yours looks like neither. What color is that? Thanks - I'm a noob looking for input on this bike and this thread has helped a lot.
    A previous poster wanted to see the color of the Gravity Comp 30. The Comp 30 is the one I bought. Sorry for the mixup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    My bad. I mixed up the 20 and 30. I can't find a picture of the gloss black Pro 20 anywhere.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sharrn View Post
    A previous poster wanted to see the color of the Gravity Comp 30. The Comp 30 is the one I bought. Sorry for the mixup.

My bike is actually the Pro30 in gray (that's the picture in my first opening post), the Comp 30 is in Silver and the Pro20 is the blue.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast