Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xancel View Post
    My bike is actually the Pro30 in gray (that's the picture in my first opening post), the Comp 30 is in Silver and the Pro20 is the blue.
    Yea my bad. I didn't realize they were asking you. Sorry. I should have read it closer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    alright, i got my bike. I will ride more then share my 2 cents.

So far, the bike looks great. I had a LBS set it up and tune it for me. It weigh 22lb (not with precise scale, but close enough)

I had one short ride, and shifting felt great.

stay tuned

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Looking for my first bike

I, too, am new and looking for my first road bike.

I must confess I feel a little alienated and not sure if I should be posting here. It seems everyone who brings up the name BD is either a moron, an ignorant or a sleazy BD employee.

Of the three, I might fall a bit under the ignorant part, which is the reason why I'm asking here, but I'm not the first to ask the same question and I have yet to see a reasonable answer.

When I compare the specs between the bikes advertised in BD with those from Specialized or Trek or others, I see that most of the components are basically the same and only the frame seems to be the difference. Aside from some considerations regarding LBS support and warranty, which for me are just another component with quantifiable value.

I've visited a few LBS in my area and when asking for an entry level bike I haven't received much attention. Obviously salespeople are more interested in pushing high value bikes and don't want to waste time with customers like me. On one of them, the guy was nice enough to spend some time with me and explain how entry level bikes are crap and I shouldn't waste any money on them. I should start looking at $1.8k and up.

Now, being that I'm looking at an entry level bike and the ones who sell the brand name entry bikes consider they are crap, why shouldn't I buy a crappy bike from BD, save a few hundred bucks and when I'm ready to take the plunge to a more expensive bike, then chose a nice Trek or Cannondale?

I was looking at the Motobecane Sprint. The components, individually, are worth more than the entire bike. Full Ultegra, decent rims, etc. If I get this bike for $1k and a year or two from now get a nice Cannondale/Specialized or Fuji frame for $700~$800 (I've seen them listed on the internet) and just transfer the components, I'll end up with a $3~4k bike for half the price. My question is, am I missing something? As far as I've been able to learn, all it takes is components and frame or do the components need to be matched to a specific frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jr64 View Post
    I, too, am new and looking for my first road bike.

I must confess I feel a little alienated and not sure if I should be posting here. It seems everyone who brings up the name BD is either a moron, an ignorant or a sleazy BD employee.

Of the three, I might fall a bit under the ignorant part, which is the reason why I'm asking here, but I'm not the first to ask the same question and I have yet to see a reasonable answer.

When I compare the specs between the bikes advertised in BD with those from Specialized or Trek or others, I see that most of the components are basically the same and only the frame seems to be the difference. Aside from some considerations regarding LBS support and warranty, which for me are just another component with quantifiable value.

I've visited a few LBS in my area and when asking for an entry level bike I haven't received much attention. Obviously salespeople are more interested in pushing high value bikes and don't want to waste time with customers like me. On one of them, the guy was nice enough to spend some time with me and explain how entry level bikes are crap and I shouldn't waste any money on them. I should start looking at $1.8k and up.

Now, being that I'm looking at an entry level bike and the ones who sell the brand name entry bikes consider they are crap, why shouldn't I buy a crappy bike from BD, save a few hundred bucks and when I'm ready to take the plunge to a more expensive bike, then chose a nice Trek or Cannondale?

I was looking at the Motobecane Sprint. The components, individually, are worth more than the entire bike. Full Ultegra, decent rims, etc. If I get this bike for $1k and a year or two from now get a nice Cannondale/Specialized or Fuji frame for $700~$800 (I've seen them listed on the internet) and just transfer the components, I'll end up with a $3~4k bike for half the price. My question is, am I missing something? As far as I've been able to learn, all it takes is components and frame or do the components need to be matched to a specific frame?
    The frame makes a huge difference.. Mainly in how it fits you. If your budget's around $1k to $1300, look at the Trek 2.1. It's a solid bike. Has all 105, carbon fork, aluminum frame, good wheels etc.. Plus you can test ride this at a shop. Any seller saying anything under $1800 is crap is an idiot. There's a lot of good bikes to be had for pretty cheap. From what I understand Most bike's are relatively the same in quality across the board from the major manufacturers, excluding geometry. This includes Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc.. Don't let the shop try to upsell you into something you don't want/need. If their trying to, find a different shop with better/more knowledgeable people. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I've got to add my two cents here. I just got my Gravity Pro 20 two weeks ago and have put 50+ miles in it. Bike feels great, the Ultegra shifters / derailleurs worked almost perfectly out of the box. I have neigbors that both ride Giant Defy's and can say with a straight face that this bike stacks up comparably in the weight and component space.....for ~35% less than the local bike shop wanted for the Defy 1 (with Ultegra vs. 105). Since the geometry tables on the Defy and the Gravity are identical, I got fitted on the Defy and went with the comparable 50cm (M) on BD. Great bike, great ride.... love the semi-compact fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Gravity Comp 20

Just got it today. Raining so will have to wait for tomorrow for the first ride. Plan to do about 8 miles.

Why bikes direct? Just didn't want to spend that much money on my first road bike. As simple as that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-imag0103.jpg   My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-imag0102.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The white Comp 20 looks like the Team, except for the black Gravity outline on the downtube (instead of gray). Obikeo... have you weighed your setup yet? What size did you pick and what are your primary fit measurements? I'm cross shopping the Gravity bikes w/ some of the "standard" Motobecanes. At 5'7" with a 30.25" inseam, I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking at a 50 or a 46.5. I would ride a 52cm on the Motos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amadeus303 View Post
    The white Comp 20 looks like the Team, except for the black Gravity outline on the downtube (instead of gray). Obikeo... have you weighed your setup yet? What size did you pick and what are your primary fit measurements? I'm cross shopping the Gravity bikes w/ some of the "standard" Motobecanes. At 5'7" with a 30.25" inseam, I'm trying to figure out if I should be looking at a 50 or a 46.5. I would ride a 52cm on the Motos.
    Yeah, actually I was expecting it to be grey outlined. When I ask them for a picture of the white Comp they pointed me to the Team.

Anyway... I'm 5'9.5'' with a 31.5 inseam and I got the medium (50). I went to a local Giant shop and felt that the medium fit better than the M/L.

I am really happy with it, but I really don't have anything to compare it with since this is my first road bike. I do need to make some adjustment to the derailleur. Getting some rough shifts. Working on a DIY bike repair stand now.

I have not weighed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Curses, Curses, Curses, after 400 miles on my Gravity I'm not that happy with the geometry. Being 6'1" and riding the 59cm semi compact frame is not for me. I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place now because here we are mid season & I'm considering what to do. I'm literally scared to buy another Bike without first sitting on it or test riding. That's not to say that Bikes direct is bad. All I'm saying is the Gravity frame geometry is not what I had expected. As much as I am trying to convince myself that this ride is good. My body is telling me otherwise. Haven't decided yet what to do but I can tell you that the Gravity will not see season 2 with me on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank5 View Post
    Curses, Curses, Curses, after 400 miles on my Gravity I'm not that happy with the geometry. Being 6'1" and riding the 59cm semi compact frame is not for me. I am really stuck between a rock and a hard place now because here we are mid season & I'm considering what to do. I'm literally scared to buy another Bike without first sitting on it or test riding. That's not to say that Bikes direct is bad. All I'm saying is the Gravity frame geometry is not what I had expected. As much as I am trying to convince myself that this ride is good. My body is telling me otherwise. Haven't decided yet what to do but I can tell you that the Gravity will not see season 2 with me on it.
    Intresting. I rode my daughters Gravity as well, and despite the correct sizing, I hate the geometry. I feel in general that my upper body is way, way to upright, and the spine not stretched enough. My bike is a custom build (frame bought off the internet for crying out loud), mainly out of the same frustration when riding a lot of preconfigured bikes in the store.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    I'm also 6'1" and am curious what your specific areas of discomfort are. Do you think that a smaller or larger frame size would make a difference?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Maybe I'm being a bit "Nit Picky" but my first impression when I got the bike was how awkward it (compact frame) appeared compared to a more traditional frame. That being the case, it would be hard for me to determine if a smaller or larger frame might make a difference. I got it to work but after taking it on a 50 mile trek and my conclusions were, this is not a long distance bike (too upright and my 6'1" body creates too much drag). Aerodynamic tucking uncomfortable and climbing was a misery. Even after all of the adjusting to seat, handlbar and stem, 500 miles later I can't seem to find a comfort zone. I've decided to go to my LBS. I gave mail order a shot it didn't work out for me. That's not to say Bikes direct.com is bad because they are not. My wife's Dawes is perfect and she is enjoying it to the hilt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

I'm a newbie and I noticed a few posts about the Gravity bikes. I bought a Pro30 back when it was on sale for $799 from Bikes Direct. I previously purchased a cyclocross bike from Bikes Direct which I love. As far as the Gravity, I've only ridden it twice since I bought it. On my first ride I found out that it was shipped with a bad tube which caused me to have to walk a bit but otherwise, the bike was perfect. Now that my travel has settled down I'll be riding it more and I'll post any thought about the bike in case anyone is interested.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Maybe I'm being a bit "Nit Picky" but my first impression when I got the bike was how awkward it (compact frame) appeared compared to a more traditional frame. That being the case, it would be hard for me to determine if a smaller or larger frame might make a difference. I got it to work but after taking it on a 50 mile trek and my conclusions were, this is not a long distance bike (too upright and my 6'1" body creates too much drag). Aerodynamic tucking uncomfortable and climbing was a misery. Even after all of the adjusting to seat, handlbar and stem, 500 miles later I can't seem to find a comfort zone. I've decided to go to my LBS. I gave mail order a shot it didn't work out for me. That's not to say Bikes direct.com is bad because they are not. My wife's Dawes is perfect and she is enjoying it to the hilt.
    I looked at the Gravity for awhile but the extreme slope of the tube scared me away. Your comments confirm my concerns. I wanted a more relaxed ride but wanted good climbing and sprint capabilities. Eventually, I got a traditional steel frame and love it.
    On a side note, the announcers and commentators on the TDF dogged compact frames as a 'fad'' and said it was nothing but a money savings gimmick hyped by the manufacturers.
    I don't think they like them....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nice bike,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Hope its nice, long first post

Just bought a Gravity pro 30 last night. I just started riding my 1984 Motobecane Jubilee sport again about 3 weeks ago.Havent ridden at all since 1994. I actually first bought a Specialized Hardrock after straining a calf muscle while jogging, I then realised how much more I liked biking than running. I fixed my old bike and have been gradually increasing my trip lengths and speed. Tonight I rode with a friend, 15 miles in an hour mostly flat, a few mild hills, and a bit of a headwind at times. I nearly am always on top of the bars and really considered a flat bar bike, but anyone I may ride with has a road bike. My performance has improved noticeably , not drastically, I'm 48 ,5'10 205#,inseam 30 inches. My Moto is 56 cm and I cant look up when in the drop bars. I bought the med( 50 cm) , supposedly this has a corrected standover of around 30 inches. I guess if need be I can lengthen the stem. I think I will like the more upright position. Supposed to have shipped today, have ups tracking no but cant track yet. I'll post my initial thoughts when it arrives.

BTW, I got a notice asking me to put my first post in the general discussion area, when I tried to start a new thread introducing myself,couldnt be done,had to have 5 posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

order cancelled

Got email saying order was cancelled(oversold). Kind of strange since I was sent a tracking number. Anyway they did give me a discount if I order another bike. Now I'm a little worried about ordering the right size frame. I'll try to ride a giant defy before I reorder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Went to bike shop to look at a Giant, none in stock, bought a used 54cm Specialized Allez with 18 speed ultegra, shimano wheels, ritchey stem, clipless pedals, and flight deck for $600,plus $20 for new cables(he flipped the stem and the old cables were too short). Not really anymore upright than my old bike, but it feels more comfortable, and quite a bit faster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Congrats on your new bike. I am also making my first post. I have been riding a Townie 21 D for a few months and enjoy riding it but would also like to have something faster. I would like to find something to do an 11 mile commute to work. It takes me an hour one way on the Townie and there are several hills to climb, one of them is a one mile climb. It takes a little too much time and energy out of me at my current physical level to do round trip every day on the Townie. Thanks for the post on these bikes, I have been considering them as well. I am about 5' 9" with 30" inseam as well. I try to do 10 miles a day for fitness and relaxation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Fuzzy, thanks. I really wish I would have stuck to my plan and test rode the Giant, figured which size fit, and then ordered the Gravity Comp/Pro. I left the bike at the shop for new cables. I also bought shoes for the clipless pedals. I paid $600 for the bike, $20 for new cables, $90 for shoes $ 27 for cleats and tax.They are going to fit bike and teach me to clip in Tues. I was told the bike was an 07. Looking up specs its probably an 03 or 04. I guess it doesn't matter that much about the year, except the 07's had 10 speed cassettes.All the modern bike parts are easily replaced. The bike is not worn out, it's just the idea of being 3 yrs older than I was told. I've been riding my 84 Motobecane with downtube shifters and 12 speed and nearly keeping up with my riding buddy, and I think thats mainly weight and conditioning( my weight not the bikes).
    If you're already riding a one mile hill on a single speed, it seems like any multi speed bike would make it a breeze.
    As far as sizing, both bikesdirect and the guy at the lbs said I would fit the M/L on the Gravity/Giant style frame. I had ordered the M;so I may have been dissappointed. If you do get a chance to ride/buy, let me know which fits better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xancel View Post
    Hi, I'm new here. I took the switch from mt bike to road bike. Here's my first road bike - Gravity Pro 30.

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Front and Rear Derailleur, and shifters.

very nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I'm really interested in picking up a Pro 30. I've been tooling around the past couple days at my local shop on the Defy one. Really like how it feels but I would like to save a few hundred bucks and since this is my first road bike the Pro 30 looks like a great choice. However, I'm a little confused on fit. I'm 5'10 with a "cycling" inseam of 31.5" and I usually where 30" pants.

1. I know every manufacture sizes slightly different. On Treks and Specialized bikes seems like the 54 fits me best. However I'm a little confused why the 50cm that I rode seemed to fit pretty well is it the relaxed geometry?

2. I tried the M/L 53.5cm and I couldn't really tell the difference between that and the 50 other then when standing over the bike it was a bit more in my crouch. Riding them the felt very similar. I guess on the 53.5 I was stretched out slightly more.

So here is my question - if I'm kind of between sizes or either could really work do you go for the slightly bigger size or the slightly smaller size. It would seem to me but I'm not an expert by any means that the smaller size would make more sense and if I wanted to stretched out on the bike a bit more I could get a longer stem. Is that logic sound

I know its different in MTB but there I ride a 17" Enduro full suspension.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Robbiecarmon. I am just about your size (5'9.5'') and I am very happy with my gravity comp 20 size medium. Don't really have anything to compare it to since this is my first road bike but I like it very much. Done rides as much as 30 miles so far and it has been really comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks obikeo

I went back tot eh LBS this morning and the 50cm Giant Defy just felt better than then 53.5. I just felt more in control . So I'll def. being going with the M/50cm size. Now I just need to decide between the compact double and the triple!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    so been riding the Gravity Pro 30 for a week now 50cm (I'm 5'10) and its super comfortable and the bike is quick! So how - some way Bikes Direct messed up in my favor. I packed the bike and the rear deraillur was dura ace! Not ultegra! Score

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast