Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30

Hi, I'm new here. I took the switch from mt bike to road bike. Here's my first road bike - Gravity Pro 30.

Shimano Ultegra 6700 Front and Rear Derailleur, and shifters.

Last edited by xancel; 04-23-2011 at 02:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

How do you like it

I am interested in getting the Pro 30. the components seem top notch for the price. How do you like it? Does the frame feel like solid quality? I am sized for a 50CM according to BD website. What size is in the picture? Any issues on assembly?
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I just took the bike for a 15 mile ride. You dont get the perfect looking welds on the frame, but for the price you are paying and the components that comes with the bike, i dont really mind it. Everything feels solid and the shifting is responsive. It is about 21lbs even though bd doesnt give you the weight. I personally dont see a big difference in 105 or ultegra, so if you want to save yourself $100, go for the Comp30.

For me, i think the seat post in on the heavy side. It is a pretty solid al tube. I'm going to change it out in the future.

The size in the picture is a 50cm. I'm 5'9, 150lbs with a 31in inseam. It fits me perfectly. So i would suggest go by the measurements on the bd website, but check your inseam!

Assembly wise, the bike came with the front tires off and the handlebar removed, but the shifters are already attached to the handlebar. Both brakes are attached, although some adjustments will be needed for the front brake. All the cables are where they should be already. All in all, for someone who have never put a bike together, I did it in 45mins with unpacking. It was a pretty easy setup

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by xancel; 04-24-2011 at 12:57 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    i like the color of that bike, great job.

And switching from MTB to a Road Bike will add immensly to riding joys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Like having a conversation with yourself

Sorry for the skepticism but this appears to be one of the many shameless marketing ploys seen regularly on RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    The reason I posted about my bike is because there are virtually no reviews on the brand "Gravity" bikes. If you google search, the results come back as the category gravity bikes. I trying to research this bike before buying it from bd, but could not find anything. I know most people would not even consider this brand on bd, but to those who are interested, I just want to give my 2 cents.

After putting 30miles on this, the frame feels solid. No issues whatsoever. However I did take it to my lbs for a tune up after assembly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Taking the plunge

I am in the same boat. I have an old REI Novara Strada I am looking to retire. I did not want to break the bank, but wanted to find the best components for the price. I went ahead and bought the Pro 30 from BD. It should arrive Monday. I too was/am skeptical as there are no reviews/links online regarding gravity bikes. I will find out for myself soon enough and will try and post my opinion for others. I bought a midi fastback from nashbar.com for my boy and had to assemble that partly. Overall that experience went well although I am not too thrilled with the wheelset on that bike. I hope I don't have any issues with the Pro 30.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    One issue i had was the left shifter cover plate was broken during shipping. For those that dont know what i'm talking about, it's this part (http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Ultegr.../dp/B003RLFH0M) But mine is the 6700 so it looks different. I contacted bd and received a replacement within 3 days.

Let me know what you think of the bike fundora.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Have you weighed the Pro 30?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I dont have a precise scale, but when i put it on an old fashion scale, it's about 21 to 21.5lbs, that's with the tires properly inflated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    You are missing the point that with the low number of posts all members have made no on will take you post seriously. As I said most people will treat this post with a great deal of skepticism. I do have to admit that the threads are carefully crafted to showcase this bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Crafted threads or not....is that not a good looking bike? I would want to ride it.

The whole online retail of bikes is not ideal for the rider. Buy a bike you can't ride until you purchase? That's scary.

I want to find a road bike, and I want it to fit. Also I'd like a LBS to back me....but what if they want to sell me some decrepit junker they tuned up and put new el cheapo tires and a fresh seat on for $350-400?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RDTigger
    Crafted threads or not....is that not a good looking bike? I would want to ride it.

The whole online retail of bikes is not ideal for the rider. Buy a bike you can't ride until you purchase? That's scary.

I want to find a road bike, and I want it to fit. Also I'd like a LBS to back me....but what if they want to sell me some decrepit junker they tuned up and put new el cheapo tires and a fresh seat on for $350-400?
    Hardly -- nothing special about it. I've seen much better looking and spec'd bikes.

Not necessarily true. If you know the geometry you need/want and know what size to buy why not. Let's be honest -- I never got to ride the three custom frames I own until they were delivered and built. BTW, what does a ride around the block or in a parking lot really tell you about the bike?

If bike shop wants to sell you a tuned up $300.00 dollar cheapo and that's not what you want, then find a new shop.

Given BD's Guerrilla marketing on this site you really don't add any credibility to your argument that you're not associated with the brand. So are you the same person for all these posts or is it you and your co-workers pitching this bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMasi1
    Given BD's Guerrilla marketing on this site you really don't add any credibility to your argument that you're not associated with the brand. So are you the same person for all these posts or is it you and your co-workers pitching this bike?
    Give it a rest, take a step back and realize there are many people new to the sport looking for their first road bike. It's also why I joined here; looking for help and information about road bikes and riding.

FWIW - I don't even own a road bike yet, but I'm hopefully going to change that asap.

Congrats on the new bike xancel and thanks for taking the time to share your bike with those of us who are interested!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Anatomy of Guerrilla Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by GFish
    ... realize there are many people new to the sport looking for their first road bike. It's also why I joined here; looking for help and information about road bikes and riding.
    You are absolutely right. However, when a "New to biking" person posts about their new bike and how great of a deal it is -- that's not really seeking advice. I would assume that a person seeking information about the sport to include its equipment would have several dozen posts with questions. Not 4 or 5 extolling the virtues of their new bike.

That's one of the red flags on any forum; a poster with an immature posting profile talking a specific item up. Look at the posters here. All are recent members (another flag) and most have only posted to this thread. The one who has posted to other threads is suspicious as well since a large number of their bike related threads involve the deals you can get at BD.

Given that I'm most likely the only one without BD connections to post, no one else has given this thread a second thought. So how effective is the ROI on a technique like this? I seriously doubt that anyone will spend their money on a bike because an anonymous poster gave it rave reviews.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    First post. Preventively to avoid the marketing scam dogma.

Ordered on Friday and Gravity Pro 30 for my 16 year old daughter. This is a replacement for a way too small Trek she had ridden since she was 12. Her main sport is Volleyball, and this will be mainly used "to get into shape over the summer". The frame size should fit me as well, so I should be able to do a reasonable assessment. I have been racing in my youth, but nowadasy I get a kick out of mountain passes.

Why the Gravity Pro 30 ? Money. My wife says "get her a new road bike, you got no more than $1000". Going into the LBS I knew I cannot get reasonable components for this price (tax, plus pedals plus new shoes). I could not find anything used in the short time I had, so the decision tree was: "do you want to have the orange bike on BD that daddy really likes ? No ... what about the silver one ? No ... Hmmm ... Gray ? Yes. Ok the Gravity Pro 30". Something like that ... give her the choice.

In reality, I found that the Pro 30 has a few interesting differences to the Comp 30. The wheels are better and lighter (ZeroLight Pro vs. ZeroLight Comp). A nicer bottom bracket (BB-6000 vs BB-4000) ... And of course Ultegra drive train vs. 105 drive train seems to be enough justification to spend the extra $100 ;-)

Bike is set to arrive on Wednesday, I'll ride it for a few miles to get it adjusted properly and then on the weekend we'll give it a quick spin on a mountain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GFish
    Congrats on the new bike xancel and thanks for taking the time to share your bike with those of us who are interested!!
    Thanks! Been traveling this weekend, didn't have time to check the forum or even ride by bike for the past few days (raining on and off in NY). Let me know what you think of the bike BizzaBoy.

As for the bike, i don't have anything else to say about it since I don't know anything more than the basic I've mentioned in the earlier post. If anyone is interested, i could post some assembly pictures.

@BlueMasi1 - You've made your point. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Pro 30 arrived

I received the Pro 30 Monday. There were a couple of pierces in the box, but no damage to the bike. Put it together fairly quickly, but did not have much time to tinker. It weighs around 21lbs. I did not like the pedals and have ordered some spd road pedals.
    The front and back derailers needed a bit of adjustment and I think I have those set now. I have just ridden it up and down the street for now. It will probably next weekend before I can try an extended ride.
    It looks nice. I do not like the rim decal, as I thought it was painted on. I am sure the wheel decal will come off when it gets wet. The wheels need to be trued up, I donít know how to do that so I will have to take it in to the LBS. I also will remove the brake cable wire from the housing when storing/transporting on my 2 bar carrier. Because the top tube is curved, the brake cable will bow if you transport/store using the top tube.
    Anyway once pedals arrive and tires are trued, we will see what $$$ that adds to the $800 price. Will update after my first ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Pro 30 price went up

Just noticed BD raised the Gravity prices $100. Pro 30 now runs $899.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fundora2
    I received the Pro 30 Monday. There were a couple of pierces in the box, but no damage to the bike. Put it together fairly quickly, but did not have much time to tinker. It weighs around 21lbs. I did not like the pedals and have ordered some spd road pedals.
    The front and back derailers needed a bit of adjustment and I think I have those set now. I have just ridden it up and down the street for now. It will probably next weekend before I can try an extended ride.
    It looks nice. I do not like the rim decal, as I thought it was painted on. I am sure the wheel decal will come off when it gets wet. The wheels need to be trued up, I donít know how to do that so I will have to take it in to the LBS. I also will remove the brake cable wire from the housing when storing/transporting on my 2 bar carrier. Because the top tube is curved, the brake cable will bow if you transport/store using the top tube.
    Anyway once pedals arrive and tires are trued, we will see what $$$ that adds to the $800 price. Will update after my first ride.
    My daughter's is set to arrive Friday (not Wednesday as the original estimate was). The pedals are already bought ;-) Still debating of whether I'll get he a new saddle or use a "Concor Lite" from the spare parts bin.

How "untrue" are the wheels ? I normally ride a bike say 100 or 200 miles before going to the bikeshop to have things like this sorted out. Have you checked whether the rim is the problem, or whether the tire just has a lousy fit (which is a biggy with my Vredestein tries) ? BTW, what tires did they put on ? If it's the lousy type, I may have a good excuse to buy a bunch of new ones ;-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Michelin dynamic 700x23. the back is wabbling a bit vertically. I probably will ride it a bit before taking to the shop to be trued. the rims don't seem to spin as freely as my old Mavic rims on my '99 Strada.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    So, bike arrived. Was way too busy with other things, so really only assembled it this morning. Really trivial to do. Wheels were perfectly true, and all the other bits and pieces were A-OK. The front derailer was mounted too low and hence needed to be raised by about 2mm. Did a full scratch setup of the rear and front derailer. Piece of cake (although a pain in the rear ;-)). I also did add the el-cheapo pedals from Performance-Bike. The saddle is not my taste, but the daughter in question liked it ... at least for now. So overall the bike is pretty cool and is exactly what I had hoped for. My only complaint is with cable adjusters that were impossible to turn without a wrench.

Test ride of about 10 miles was good. I did spent quite a while getting my position figured out. At the end I have to say that I do not like the ride position on a compact frame at all. I did attach a picture of my set of wheels, maybe that makes it clear why. Anyway the position is more relaxed, if that's what you like, then this toy is great.

For folks who are not used to read the manuals on the Shimano website, here a quick vimeo link that explains how to mount/setup the drivertrain:

Overall a positive experiance right now. Let's see how it will do after the first 200 miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-2011-05-07_13-29-36_927.jpg   My first road bike - Gravity Pro 30-2011-05-07_13-20-33_524.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BizzaBoy
    So, bike arrived. Was way too busy with other things, so really only assembled it this morning. Really trivial to do. Wheels were perfectly true, and all the other bits and pieces were A-OK. The front derailer was mounted too low and hence needed to be raised by about 2mm. Did a full scratch setup of the rear and front derailer.
    Mine arrived yesterday and I had the same problem with the front derailer. I think I mounted it too high trying to fix it. It's still not shifting quite right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpc
    Mine arrived yesterday and I had the same problem with the front derailer. I think I mounted it too high trying to fix it. It's still not shifting quite right.
    Check out the video, or maybe those 2 links (ok, I'm an engineer and I like manuals):

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830671270.pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830702204.PDF

The video showed how to use the little tab the was on the front deraileur.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast