Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bike Ninja

New Motobecane Super Strada with full Sram Apex

What's the good word on this bike. Specs seems pretty good. Full sram apex group:

"Physically, Apex closely resembles its predecessors and with a suggested price of US$799 SRAM hopes it will encourage those who want the look-and-feel factor without the financial cost to make the leap. Parts key to shifting performance such as lever internals and chainrings are identical in both Rival and Apex, to provide like-for-like function. However, Rival's carbon brake levers make way for Apex's aluminium equivalents. There's also less machining in components such as the forged dual-pivot brake calipers, which sees Apex give up some 225 grams to Rival, but the dollar/gram equation will create a natural division within the SRAM range."

- bikeradar

All this on a sub $900 bike. The cost of the bike is close to the price of the drivetrain by itself....

- http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...-review-25053/

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010

Today only: Sub $800

I can't imagine 34X32.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the fit worked out I'd buy this thing in a heartbeat for my daughter, who wants to get into road biking. The gearing would be perfect for a non-athletic beginner. There's no deal in Canada that could come close, even on the used market. Too bad it's so hard to get these things into Canada

Bike Ninja
    You guys just need to find steeper hills apparently. AC used Sram Apex on one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient. He's probably not that athletic which is why he needs it :P

prosciutto corsa
    Waiting patiently for arrival.

Same geo as the Sprint/Vent Noir etc. bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin
    The cost of the bike is close to the price of the drivetrain by itself
    That's MSRP, though. You can score a full Apex gruppo for way under $799.

And AC didn't use SRAM Apex, he used RED with a custom cassette (30t rear cog) which in turn inspired the APEX gruppo. And he didn't use it on the Tour, he used it during the '08 Giro on the KronPlatz mountain TT.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010

Source?

You guys just need to find steeper hills apparently.
    Probably.
    AC used Sram Apex
    I've heard this before (on this board) but never seen a source. I've also heard (on this board) that Apex was inspired by Contador, as he requested a special cassette.

Source?
    one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient.
    Which stage had 25% gradient?

I don't mind being wrong here. I'd just like to see some sources. To be fair, I'm not much of a cycling fan. I spend my time riding.

prosciutto corsa
    LocalHero,

The source info is actually provided in the link from bikeradar in SilentAssassins first post. It's all in the last section before the specs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Except that it wasn't the tour, it was the Giro, it wasn't 25%, it was 24% and it wasn't Apex, it was a custom cassette - you got it just right. ;)

Bike Ninja
    The Giro is a Grand tour.

that custom cassette is where the "wi-fli" concept derived from which lead to the perfected sram apex group apparently...

More info:

http://en-gb.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=400384426897

Bike Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero
    Probably.I've heard this before (on this board) but never seen a source. I've also heard (on this board) that Apex was inspired by Contador, as he requested a special cassette.

Source?

Which stage had 25% gradient?

I don't mind being wrong here. I'd just like to see some sources. To be fair, I'm not much of a cycling fan. I spend my time riding.
    And on forums...? I'd be riding but still waiting for my chinese carbon wheelset.

prosciutto corsa
    AC used Sram Apex on one stage of the tour where there was 25% gradient.
    When you casually say 'the tour' in this context, people think TdF. Yes, the Giro is a Grand Tour.

BoT, which color do you prefer on the Super Strada?

Bike Ninja
    Yes, but unless you specify TDF, the tour could mean any of the three grand tours.

I prefer the green color.

prosciutto corsa
    Yes, but unless you specify TDF, the tour could mean any of the three grand tours.

I prefer the green color.
    It could.

lol, I don't believe they come in green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Didn't mean to be pissy, just messin' with you a little. I knew what you meant. peace.

Bike Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny dollar
    It could.

lol, I don't believe they come in green.
    Doh, I'll pass then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    That bike looks like one heck of a sweet ride. If I were in the market for a road, I'd grab it. Looking forward to pulling the trigger on a cross hopefully sometime soon.

Bike Ninja
    Doh, I'll pass then.
    NOT. Ordered and waiting for the strada

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I ordered one...

Bike Ninja
    Order two.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Order two.
    I do need an extra bike. So my right testicle can ride along with me.

No Bonk Zone
    Anyone else think that fork looks a little too thin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Somewhat off topic but are there any plans for a women's specific bike with Apex? Seems like an ideal groupset for when my wife gets her first road bike next year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pulled the trigger on one (50 cm, orange) Saturday. It shipped this morning! I am pleasantly surprised by the quick turnaround (since they don't ship/answer emails/etc on the weekend). However, the shipping email from UPS said the shipping weight is 30 lbs! Of course the box/packing materials will add some weight, but I was/am *expecting* a ~20 lb bike.

I'm pretty excited about the Apex group, and SRAM in general, since this bike is my foray into longer rides/racing and SRAM groups are compatible. The ability to piecemeal upgrade is a huge advantage over Shimano to me.

Has anyone who has ordered received your bike yet? I was hoping for some reviews by now, but perhaps you're having too much fun riding!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuban
    Has anyone who has ordered received your bike yet? I was hoping for some reviews by now, but perhaps you're having too much fun riding!
    Just waiting for now; mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I might be able to throw up some pictures but I'm planning on having the LBS assemble it and I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride tomorrow. Also this is My First Road Bike so I'm not exactly qualified to do a thorough review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parasyte
    Just waiting for now; mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I might be able to throw up some pictures but I'm planning on having the LBS assemble it and I'm not sure if I'll be able to ride tomorrow. Also this is My First Road Bike so I'm not exactly qualified to do a thorough review.
    Awesome! I got a call from BD today asking me to confirm my details since my billing address and my shipping address are different (lol, a difference of one block on the same street!) so it won't ship out until tomorrow, but I hope to have the bike by Friday still. Despite this being My First Road Bike as well, I'm fairly handy with a wrench (read: engineer).

I'll take pictures too of the assembly and the bike so others can get a good idea of BD and their products. I have a Windsor Timeline as well that I'm happy to have and I can say, so far, I've had no problems with BD or their bikes. I just wish more information was available (weight, frame alloy, etc.), especially on generic parts I can't look up. That said, the fact they called me to make sure where they were shipping the bike and that I can get the answers I seek within a day or two is reassuring.

Oh, and I'm especially glad the frame is 7005 AL!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast