Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 150
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    123
    I agree, it's all relatively cheap, but still a lot of money. I would also toss in that the quality is definitely all there.

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Poppadaddio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    178

    Call me a shill ...

    As far as Iím concerned, BD bikes are better than brand-name LBS bikes. Mine are constantly ridden hard and put away wet. The BD bikes are generic quintessential archetypes, and they sell a model of just about every type.
    Of course they arenít sold at the manufacturerís list price. The point is that the brand-name LBS bikes ARE sold much closer to this fantasy price. Conservatively, the name-brand bikes usually look to me to be at least 50% more money, comparing apples to apples.
    I believe in BD enough that I prepaid in full, two months before the promised shipping date, for a $2000 bike that I hadnít seen except in pictures. It will be my fourth BD bike, a Titanium Ultegra.
    Each BD bike has far exceeded my expectations, starting with the Windsor Dover, the first one I bought five years ago. I didnít know how this whole road biking thing would work out for me, so to limit my risk, I bought a very inexpensive bike off ebay -- $335 plus shipping, for an 8-speed, triple crank ďSora.Ē
    A year later, I decide d to upgrade to a real racing bike, and selected the Windsor Kennet. I figured that because the Sora was so good, the Ultegra 6600 would be great, and it has been. That bike has at least 15,000 miles on it now and the Ultegra shifters still perform perfectly, although just about every other part of the bike has since been replaced. I still have the original Shimano WH-550 wheels, although the braking surface on the front one has been worn down so that I have had to put it aside except as a spare.
    Then I bought a Motobecane Nemesis. I could have bought clip-on aerobars for my road bike, or bought some other used time trial bike, or cobbled together a time trial bike out of a collection of parts, but I came back to the idea of the bike ready to go, right out of the box. Of course you can spend a lot more on a TT bike, but the Nemesis comes pretty close to the best there is once you get the fit/size dialed in.
    So now Iím waiting for my fourth BD bike. After a good experience with the 6600 Ultegra, I opted for the 6700. The DA model was $700 more, the differences being the DA gruppo and (supposedly) better wheels.

    Looking at some of the current crop of boutique bikes, I just donít see that form is following function. Take a look at a sqiggle-framed Pinarello or a Specialized Tarmac, with lines copied from a 1950ís Schwinn. Whatís next, tail fins? Maybe one of those metal tanks that fit under the top bar to hold the batteries for the lights and horn, with a button on the side.
    The frame may well be the least important part of the bike. Of course you need all the parts to make a whole, but for me the frame serves to hold all the jewels together, whichever brand of ďgruppoĒ you pick. You need to have the proper fit with respect to the relationship of the handlebars, the pedals, and the seat, but what goes on in between is irrelevant as long as itís reasonably light and durable.
    It was GREEN, officer!

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: cyclesport45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,534
    Best value. There, I said it. (Mike, you can pay me later...)
    Just ride.

  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Solearas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    122


    Yeah Mike, I want my Shill(TM) check too.



    Since some dumb -probably Obama supporter, called me that.

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    42

    Impressive bike for the money

    A colleague of mine is getting into the sport (he's a runner but is planning on doing some triathlons). He's currently going through a divorce so money is very tight. He came to me for advice (buy a used bike, etc). I told him he should check out bikesdirect. He ended up getting a low end Windsor Welllington 2.0 for $359 delivered (he wanted a similar Motobecane Mirage Sport but it was out of stock and when he emailed them, they suggested the Wellington 2.0 - which was actually $40 less, so they didn't try to up sell him). It arrived this week and he brought it to the office where I assembled it for him. The bike looked real nice for what it was. Everything went together as it should. The end of the front wheel quick release skewer was a little loose. He emailed them and they said they'd ship out a replacement at no cost. The wheels need to be trued, but other than that, the bike went together without a problem. I know he would not have gotten anything of that quality in a LBS at that low a price point and am not sure what he could have gotten in the used market. I think this was a good option for him as he could pick his size and price point. If he really gets into the sport, I would think he would upgrade to something a bit nicer, but for now, I think he made a great decision. When it comes time to replace my 2007 LeMond carbon Buenos Aires I will give BD a serious look...but hopefully not for a few years. My 2 cents.

  6. #31
    Cat 6 rider
    Reputation: California L33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,137
    More spam from yuanfenya.
    To the troll mobile, away...

  7. #32
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    Received my 2010 Motobecane Ti LeChampion SL last week and have now put about 50 miles on it. It rides beautifully and with all Ultegra 6700 components, shifts like a dream.

    The bike is made in Taiwan and the workmanship is beautiful; welds look great (I'm a mechanical engineer for whatever that's worth).

    It seems to me that BikesDirect can sell at such low prices because they rely on word-of-mouth rather than spending tons on marketing/advertising (which can get VERY expensive). Also, they maintain a very small staff to manage their sales and customer service activities....thus very low overhead costs - which also could add up to a significant portion of a bikes costs............................But to operate a business this way, the business HAS TO sell high-quality products; otherwise the level of complaints and bad press on the internet will put them under in no time. Thanks to online communication, scammers can't fool potential customers like they once could --- certainly not for very long.

    IMO the business model used by BikesDirect rewards the educated cyclist - ie the person who understands how to select the right frame size; the person who knows how to properly set up their seat and stem height and position; the person who can do some basic stuff like minor assembly, proper torquing of bolts; and the person who knows how (or is willing to learn how) to setup their front and rear derailleurs for smooth, quiet shifting.
    These things aren't very hard, but to some people it's more than they want to take on themselves......they can always go to a lbs for these services - and will still end up saving a lot of money.

    BTW...I'm 6'0" and currently at 245 LBs...............I haven't noticed the bike struggling in any way yet with my weight (still looking to drop about 60 lbs worth though.....!!)

  8. #33
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Solearas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    122
    What did you have before this?

  9. #34
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    before this.....

    I had a 1984 Fuji Anjou....Vanadium steel alloy...12 speed. It wasn't ridden a great deal; maybe 3 or 4 seasons, but was always very well maintained. I had thoughts of re-fitting it with Ultegra-6700 level parts but once I found the price for the Ti Motobecane with those parts, it just didn't make sense to do.

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    107
    Why are they so cheap?

    1. Less rent/warehousing cost since there is no brick and mortar store.
    2. No shop staff to pay for.
    3. No inventory to carry in the shop, to entire people to test ride and buy.
    4. Very little customer support compared to an LBS.

    Profit margins are probably the same or similar to an LBS. Markup on bike cost is less for BD, but so is overhead.

  11. #36
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Solearas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    122
    Congrats JTKarp. Good decision on replacement not update.

    ----

    BD makes more margin on volume I suppose when you add up
    whole sale cost of the parts and frame. It would be cool if Mike would share the percentage amount but eh he's said they make the lion share of dough on low end rides IIRC.

  12. #37
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    Thanks Solearas........love the ride; and the great price on the bike really made it a no-brainer.

    Told the story to a LBS owner on the weekend and he was amazed at the price I paid. Also told me that his bikes don't carry Ultegra 6700 comps until you hit the $3,500 price range (which I also found when shopping around)......and that the Ti bikes he's heard of have all been in the $5,000+ price range.

  13. #38
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    Personally, I enjoy tweeking and tuning my own bike. So for someone like me, buying from a company like BD makes good sense.

  14. #39
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    I've never bought a bike from BD and probably never will. Still the question should be: Why are other bikes so expensive? Motobecanes are not low quality bikes. The problem is that other bikes have been marked up so high for so long that people are used to those prices. When a company with a no-name brand bike sells bikes for a lot less, people immediately assume that these bikes are no good. Many of them are, but many (like BD bikes) are good bikes. Granted, Motobecane and Windsor are well respect names in cycling history but these aren't the same companies they used to be. However, they are still high quality bikes. If you notice, they also sell Kestrel- a bike that is well received by the bike snobs. Kestrel is made by the same company that makes BD bikes. Fuji is also made by them and Fujis are great bikes. They get flack for being sold at Performance Bikes but noone- who really knows bikes- can deny that a Fuji is a great bike. Motobecanes are made side by side with Fujis. Our pretentious cycling community likes to put down a bike if you're not spending an arm and a leg for it. Sure, I ride Felts and Specialized bikes but I still see a great quality bike with good value in the Motos. I know a few guys that ride them and they are very happy with them. One of tmy buddies has a Moto. His other steeds are Treks (since he works for a Trek shop as a bike mechanic) and he is really impressed with his Moto. The only disappointment he has is that he paid so much for his Treks. The only gripe I have is that most of the sales are online- unless you're fortunate enough to have a BD LBS near you. Just remember that over 90% of high end bikes are made in Taiwan anyway so why do the others cost so much? Name?
    Last edited by terbennett; 03-11-2010 at 08:52 AM.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by bas
    Arent they heavier? kind of look it. i've never felt the weight of one. just going by eyesight.
    Dude, my younger brother bought a Le Champion SL a couple of years ago. The bike was actually identical to the legendary Fuji Team SL with Ultegra group, Ritchey galore, American Classic wheels and all aluminum frame. It was advertised at 15.5 lbs. We challenged it so he took it to work and weighed it on their scale. 54cm was 15.3 lbs on two different scales. He then took it to my job and weighed it- 15.29 lbs.We went to my LBS and it weighed in at 15.31 lbs. What was awesome was that he still paid less than $1500 for it after having the LBS build it.
    Last edited by terbennett; 03-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.

  16. #41
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    22
    BDs does have brick and mortar shops - I have been in the Jacksonville store (actually they have 3 in the Jacksonville area). The store front says "Bikes Direct".

    They do have staff in their brick and mortar shops. The guy I spoke with seemed pretty knowledgeable and was very friendly.

    This is a large shop and they had a boat load of bikes.

    They were more than happy to let me test ride their bikes

    They sold the bikes for the same price as on the BD website with the exception that you have to pay FL sales tax ( 7% ). They also provide free lifetime tuneups. They, of course, assemble the bike for you. They will get anything that is available on the website plus they had a few things not on the website. They also had the usual selection of bike parts if you wanted to make some changes. Hey, it was just like a real LBS!

    The only downside is the FL 7% sales tax but that is more than compensated by the fact that they assemble the bike, offer free tuneups, and any risk associated with shipping damage and having to return the bike is eliminated. Still haven't decided between a Moto and a Neuvation.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    Why are they so cheap?

    1. Less rent/warehousing cost since there is no brick and mortar store.
    2. No shop staff to pay for.
    3. No inventory to carry in the shop, to entire people to test ride and buy.
    4. Very little customer support compared to an LBS.

    Profit margins are probably the same or similar to an LBS. Markup on bike cost is less for BD, but so is overhead.

  17. #42
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1
    I own a GT Outpost MTB. My friends that I ride on the weekend with have hybrids and are getting ready to go to road bikes. I was already having problems keeping up with them so needed a road bike but had a serious lack of funds. I was checking out bikes in the under $500 range which was very limited. A co-worker was getting rid of her Dawes Lightning Sport bought from BD. I thought I would try this out before plunking down serious money at BD. Well so far trying to find anything wrong with the bike and have not. Have not road for more than 20 mi at a clip yet, but have used it as commuter and have not been disappointed.

  18. #43
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett
    I've never bought a bike from BD and probably never will. Still the question should be: Why are other bikes so expensive? Motobecanes are not low quality bikes. The problem is that other bikes have been marked up so high for so long that people are used to those prices. When a company with a no-name brand bike sells bikes for a lot less, people immediately assume that these bikes are no good. Many of them are, but many (like BD bikes) are good bikes. Granted, Motobecane and Windsor are well respect names in cycling history but these aren't the same companies they used to be. However, they are still high quality bikes. If you notice, they also sell Kestrel- a bike that is well received by the bike snobs. Kestrel is made by the same company that makes BD bikes. Fuji is also made by them and Fujis are great bikes. They get flack for being sold at Performance Bikes but noone- who really knows bikes- can deny that a Fuji is a great bike. Motobecanes are made side by side with Fujis. Our pretentious cycling community likes to put down a bike if you're not spending an arm and a leg for it. Sure, I ride Felts and Specialized bikes but I still see a great quality bike with good value in the Motos. I know a few guys that ride them and they are very happy with them. One of tmy buddies has a Moto. His other steeds are Treks (since he works for a Trek shop as a bike mechanic) and he is really impressed with his Moto. The only disappointment he has is that he paid so much for his Treks. The only gripe I have is that most of the sales are online- unless you're fortunate enough to have a BD LBS near you. Just remember that over 90% of high end bikes are made in Taiwan anyway so why do the others cost so much? Name?
    Other bikes are so much more expensive because they (at least all the "big" names) spend a boat load of dough on marketing/advertising - which they have to recover....and obviously they do. BD has a different (smarter?) business model. They seem to have a minimalistic approach to marketing....heavily dependent on word of mouth (or word of BLOG)......on the internet, news travels very fast so if you're running a business, you hope it's mostly good news.......because if someone has a story to tell, you can't shut them up online.

    In my case, I'm TOTALLY impressed with BD. I found them by accident a few weeks ago doing searches for Ultegra 6700 Gruppo prices (had never heard of them before ~ 3 weeks ago). I found (and bought) the Le Champion SL Titanium bike.....at first, I thought it was a scam because the price seemed unreal. Then I started searching blogs and found almost exclusively positive stories from people who'd bought their bikes. I also checked their Better Business Bureau rating and found it's A+ (come on, what more do you want?) So I bought the bike one frame size too large. BD exchanged it very quickly and COMPLETELY HASSLE-FREE (let's give credit where credit is due now)....I just got back from a 40 mile ride; bringing my total on the bike to 100 miles....all I can say is that so far it rides like a dream.

    PEACE

  19. #44
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,042
    Quote Originally Posted by JTKarp
    Other bikes are so much more expensive because they (at least all the "big" names) spend a boat load of dough on marketing/advertising - which they have to recover....and obviously they do. BD has a different (smarter?) business model. They seem to have a minimalistic approach to marketing....heavily dependent on word of mouth (or word of BLOG)......on the internet, news travels very fast so if you're running a business, you hope it's mostly good news.......because if someone has a story to tell, you can't shut them up online.

    In my case, I'm TOTALLY impressed with BD. I found them by accident a few weeks ago doing searches for Ultegra 6700 Gruppo prices (had never heard of them before ~ 3 weeks ago). I found (and bought) the Le Champion SL Titanium bike.....at first, I thought it was a scam because the price seemed unreal. Then I started searching blogs and found almost exclusively positive stories from people who'd bought their bikes. I also checked their Better Business Bureau rating and found it's A+ (come on, what more do you want?) So I bought the bike one frame size too large. BD exchanged it very quickly and COMPLETELY HASSLE-FREE (let's give credit where credit is due now)....I just got back from a 40 mile ride; bringing my total on the bike to 100 miles....all I can say is that so far it rides like a dream.

    PEACE
    True. Felt does the same thing only their prices have gone up quite a bit. They are still less than most of the big players but more than Bikes Direct. I believe they have around 25 employees. Trek and Specialized Marketing Departments probably has more people than that. BTW the Moto Le Champion SL Ti has caught my eye recently. BD could be getting my business soon before this summer.

  20. #45
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1
    Is it normal that:

    If I add up all the parts that make up a bikesdirect bike, it's a lot more expensive than the pre-built bikes with the same components?

  21. #46
    JTKarp
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6
    Yep...pretty much. Motobecane buys the components at lower prices than you or I could get; because they buy at wholesale prices and buy enough volume to be able to negotiate. Many (not sure if all) of their bikes are built in Taiwan in the same facilities, and by the same workers that build Trek, Giant, Specialized. IMO Motobecane saves a lot of money by doing very little advertising and they also have dramatically reduced overhead costs by utilizing the internet as their market place.
    PS.....I think I now have about 600 miles on my Titanium Le Champion and continue loving the bike.

  22. #47
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Poppadaddio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    178
    Of course -- the manufacturers buy the components in large volume and get a discount.
    It was GREEN, officer!

  23. #48
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: natrab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    47
    Mike gave me a stellar deal (after a small order snafu) on a Le Champion Team with a Campy Carbon Record gruppo and I've been loving it for about two years now. My original thought was that I'd have to replace the frame, but it's proven to be very durable and well designed. Though lately I've been getting spoiled on steel and may swap out for that reason.

  24. #49
    Embrace your inner Fred
    Reputation: Snakebitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    359
    I got an 09 Immortal Spirit back in 08 and I love the bike. Other than the crappy seats, handle bars and pedals the bike is a great deal. Ive replaced those parts with quality equipment and I really like the bike. Do I want a higher name brand bike? Sure. Id love to feel what a Cervelo, Look, BMC etc feel like but I dont NEED another bike. I would love to get a Cervelo etc frame for my 6'6" size to replace the Immortal frame but it isnt necessary or available. Im not trying to impress people with my purchase just need to enjoy riding.

  25. #50
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3
    I'm looking for a first bike, I'm 62 and overweight. I need to get a comfort bike because I have back problems.I have a very limited budget so should I get a Moto Jubilee trail or Windsor Dover 2.0? I'm confused please help!! Also, is it safe to get a bike from BS? thanks

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook