Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Trek and Specialized dealers mark up bike prices %100 ontop of dealer costs. BikeDirect do not. There is your price difference.

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    MOTO Le Champion Inferno $2200!!!!!!!!!!! ARE U kidding me? Go BikesDirect Go!

Complete SRAM RED (Force cassette), MAVIC Ksyrium ELITE, Ritchie WCS...... Unless you have access to parts at cost. You cannot buy the parts group (not even including the frame) for less the $2400-2500! And that is like surfing ebay for the best deals.

I think RichyG said it best. "NO DISERNABLE DIFFERENCE" in ride quality, and he has a Synapse.

HOLD on eveyone as BD is going to have the Le Champion Ti with the same components as the the Inferno next month for probably a few hunskie more. I plan to order that as well for my wife.

My wife will love me for getting her one........ and I will have access to it as well!

Quote Originally Posted by tonkabaydog
    MOTO Le Champion Inferno $2200!!!!!!!!!!! ARE U kidding me? Go BikesDirect Go!

Complete SRAM RED (Force cassette), MAVIC Ksyrium ELITE, Ritchie WCS...... Unless you have access to parts at cost. You cannot buy the parts group (not even including the frame) for less the $2400-2500! And that is like surfing ebay for the best deals.

I think RichyG said it best. "NO DISERNABLE DIFFERENCE" in ride quality, and he has a Synapse.

HOLD on eveyone as BD is going to have the Le Champion Ti with the same components as the the Inferno next month for probably a few hunskie more. I plan to order that as well for my wife.

My wife will love me for getting her one........ and I will have access to it as well!
    I can't imagine a more perfect or obvious shill post....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    You're kidding I hope....I used to get this kind of abuse 5 years ago when nobody heard of BD.

BD does not shill. It is not there style. Read Mike's posts. He is diplomatic in every reply.

I will post my pics next week... but not for you, but the others who scratch their heads as did I and say, "how do they do it".

I will also post a pic of my (rather my wife's) SRAM Red Le Champion Ti when I get. That picture my friend will be for.

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    Don't listen to the hype from the Brand lovers. I'll admit, BD is not for everyone. However, I have had enough good experiences with them to know they provide a solid product provided I do my homework. One needs to learn a little about sizing etc... but can always lean on BD for help. If you are not comfortable assembling, for $50 any LBS will put it together.

Depending how much you want to spend, it will most always be half with BD or other online type companies.
    Last edited by tonkabaydog; 09-06-2010 at 08:34 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

BD is reputable

I'm sorry if this seems like abuse, I was just asking for some advice

No Bonk Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by jacketa
    I'm looking for a first bike, I'm 62 and overweight. I need to get a comfort bike because I have back problems.I have a very limited budget so should I get a Moto Jubilee trail or Windsor Dover 2.0? I'm confused please help!! Also, is it safe to get a bike from BS? thanks
    I think you'd be better served by walking into a store and posing these questions.
    If you have a Performance Bike store near you, you can pick up a very nice comfort bike these days with the sale that's currently running.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    If there's a Titanium with SRAM Red in the pipeline, I'm going to have to look hard at that. I've loved my Immortal Force with Ultegra, but I think my body might enjoy the relaxed geometry of a Ti frame a bit more.

FWIW, I've had my Immortal Force for nearly two years. I don't rip the roads up as much as I'd like, but it's a sweet ride. Got it off ebay for an even lower price because it was a demo in the shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am currently riding a Motobecane Immortal Pro that I bought from the B&M Bikes Direct store in Orlando, and I have zero complaints with the bike so far. I did change the seat and discovered that the stem was 30mm too long when I was fitted to the bike by a pro, but the LBS that I bought the bike from (Cycle Spectrum - Frank: a great guy to chat with from France), replaced the stem for $0 and offered a free saddle that I turned down for one that I bought online that was better for my needs.

Considering that I have approximately 1,000 miles on the bike now, and will be riding a century per month and training for the Sebring 12 hr next Feb, as well as duathlons on my Immortal, I can attest to the quality of the Bikes Direct product. I even bought the Motobecane jersey and wear it in rotation with my other gear!
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. Voltaire

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. Thomas Jefferson

The Gimlet Eye
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkabaydog

BD does not shill. It is not there style.
    You should have been here a couple of years ago!

Bike Ninja
    It's like this. You can buy the Super Strada for under $900, or you can buy a similar bike at a LBS for $1500 or more. You can buy a Ti Heat for $1595 titanium, or you can buy a similar spec'd titanium for $2500. You can buy a Ti Inferno for $2200, or you can buy a bike with the same specs for $3500. Just don't get mad when a guy passes you on a Ti Inferno on your overpriced Cervelo or Piranello.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin
    It's like this. You can buy the Super Strada for under $900, or you can buy a similar bike at a LBS for $1500 or more. You can buy a Ti Heat for $1595 titanium, or you can buy a similar spec'd titanium for $2500. You can buy a Ti Inferno for $2200, or you can buy a bike with the same specs for $3500. Just don't get mad when a guy passes you on a Ti Inferno on your overpriced Cervelo or Piranello.
    ...because speed is all about the bike...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    [QUOTE=I know BD must be playing fast and loose somewhere, but I can't figure it out. Until I do find out, I will admit the bikes really are good and have exceeded my expectations. No Joke.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you are implying here? They have been in business for almost 10 years.

Maybe you mean, "lean and mean"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I don't think tonka or platy are actually what either of them think of one another. I think tonka is just really excited about his Moto stuff and their pricing (which is valid). (Although that post did seem VERY enthusiastic, lol.) And I think platy is not someone who thinks BD/Moto makes "lesser than" stuff. I've seen other posts where platy gives credit where its due.

Humbly offered: life is too short to throw crap at each other. Let's all get out and ride instead.

BT, wishing you ride safe
    Quote Originally Posted by willhs
    I think it's funny that people get acused of being "shills" when they like their Motobecane, but people who have never used their bikes can come on and fire off slander here and there with no problems. I gotta hand it to Mike for taking it so well.

I actually came to this forum to sincerely congratulate Mike on the lineup of bikes right now. I was going to get one of these for my brother for RAGBRAI, but the SRAM stuff wasn't out yet. We ended up building a SRAM bike in the cheapest way possible and it's great, but it was WAY more expensive than these Motobecane bikes. I have 2 friends who use their Motobecane's all the time, and I've tried one of them out. Personally, I use my own custom build.

Anyway, the point is: I think what bikesdirect is doing to put high quality bikes in a reasonable price range is a Good Thing for the sport, especially when the high end is skyrocketing in price. I recommend bikesdirect to everyone who talks about getting a bike.

(I must be a shill!)
    I don't, or at least not without "qualifying" them. Not everyone should buy a bike on line. I think the BD value proposition makes great sense for a lot of people, but:

1. You need to know what you are getting and what you are NOT getting.
    2. You really need to have a good idea of what size you need, if for no other reason than to be able to "double check" their recommendation.
    3. You need to be able to assemble and adjust the bike, or have someone or an LBS that can do it.
    4. You need to know that a lot of post sale support falls on you. You can't really drag it to your LBS and expect them to hand hold you though any warranty issues.

For some people, maybe even most, an LBS is their best choice. For the rest of us lucky ones, we have BD!
    BT

'09 Motobecane Immortal Pro, with lollipops
    '02 Diamondback Hybrid
    '09 Lamborghini Viaggio Tandem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Hi,

I'm a Noob, looking to buy a bike. I have owned Giant MTB, Cannondale AL Road, and currently a LeMond CX. The CX is too small to be comfy for 40 plus mile rides on a straight away. So I need a road bike and stumbled upon BD. I am very tempted. That being said, it seems a little too good to be true. I also looked up their Better Business Bureau rating, because I don't trust people on the internet to be honest. Guess what? It was an A+. Because there is no information at all. No reports. No accredidation by the BBB, it is a choice to be affiliated with the BBB and costs money to do so I believe. My point being, that A+ rating means JACK SQUAT. It is neither a negative nor positive endorsement, and that leaves me still in the dark with about 800 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and a need to get back out on the road and burn some fat the fun way.

Please help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sustainpedal View Post
    Hi,

I'm a Noob, looking to buy a bike. I have owned Giant MTB, Cannondale AL Road, and currently a LeMond CX. The CX is too small to be comfy for 40 plus mile rides on a straight away. So I need a road bike and stumbled upon BD. I am very tempted. That being said, it seems a little too good to be true. I also looked up their Better Business Bureau rating, because I don't trust people on the internet to be honest. Guess what? It was an A+. Because there is no information at all. No reports. No accredidation by the BBB, it is a choice to be affiliated with the BBB and costs money to do so I believe. My point being, that A+ rating means JACK SQUAT. It is neither a negative nor positive endorsement, and that leaves me still in the dark with about 800 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and a need to get back out on the road and burn some fat the fun way.

Please help.
    Just read all of the posts in this thread and you will get the information you need. Looking at a BBB rating is less relavant than actual experiences, but I have seen nothing that would tell me that BD is conducting poor business practices and should have a good BBB rating.

The simple fact is BD sells good bikes at a very competitive price by eliminating the dealer network and a big research and development effort. The frames are in some cases slightly out of date or fashion, but do have the quality expected of a modern bicycle. Some of the saving in that business model result in better frame materials and/or components for the price, but purchasers have additional "costs" in putting the bicycle together out of the box.

Try this: ask your LBS what you can buy for $800, and how much they charge for setting up a bicycle out of the box. Then compare it with what you can get from BD, Performance or any other reputable sources you know. The delta between the two is a reflection of the business model difference between using a dealer network and direct selling. Nothing arcane, mysterious or nefarious about it, just modern business practices in the internet age.
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities. Voltaire

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government. Thomas Jefferson

The Pb Torpedo
    Jun 2011
    because I don't trust people on the internet to be honest.

Please help.
    Why then would you trust us now?

Ok, if you look at my post history you will find my posts related to my BD purchase. I am very happy with my bike. I do recommend having a bike store do the de-boxing and initial setup if you are not very comfortable with bicycle mechanical work. It should run about $60-80.

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    Hi,

Please help.
    Just do your homework. There are thousands of us on here that have purchased bikes from Mike at BD dating back 7 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfeng View Post
    Why then would you trust us now?
    Translation- I don't just take peoples' word for it - I like to see some form of verification. It is easy to lie on the internet, and when many of the posters have fewer than 10 posts but highly recommend a product I also become skeptical. So when you say us, this doesn't include those people out here who have upwards of 1000 posts.

From everything I can gather (you tube, this site, other sites), BD is a gamble. If you get a problem free product, the gamble pays off, if you don't then you may regret doing business with them.

I currently have an e-bay bid on a used machine, so I am taking a risk there. If I get out bid in the next week I am going to re evaluate the BD gamble.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkabaydog View Post
    Just do your homework. There are thousands of us on here that have purchased bikes from Mike at BD dating back 7 years.
    My problem is that there is nothing in terms of product reviews for the higher end road bikes. I would feel much more comfortable if a reputable 3rd party could vouch for these bikes and not just a user with fewer than 50 posts.

Tonkabaydog
    Jul 2010
    Translation- I don't just take peoples' word for it - I like to see some form of verification. It is easy to lie on the internet, and when many of the posters have fewer than 10 posts but highly recommend a product I also become skeptical. So when you say us, this doesn't include those people out here who have upwards of 1000 posts.

From everything I can gather (you tube, this site, other sites), BD is a gamble. If you get a problem free product, the gamble pays off, if you don't then you may regret doing business with them.

I currently have an e-bay bid on a used machine, so I am taking a risk there. If I get out bid in the next week I am going to re evaluate the BD gamble.
    If the 100% money back guarantee after 30 days can't give you comfort, go buy a bike at your LBS and pay the tax and their overhead.

The rest of us "GAMBLERS" (euphamism for smart buyers) are playing with a stacked deck favoring BD and have known of and purchased from BD/Mike for years. In my case, 6 years.

I have to laugh, these sorts of comments are like what I used to read about BD in 2005. Fastward and thousands of bikes sold, I just don't get it.

The Pb Torpedo
    Jun 2011
    My problem is that there is nothing in terms of product reviews for the higher end road bikes. I would feel much more comfortable if a reputable 3rd party could vouch for these bikes and not just a user with fewer than 50 posts.
    Yea, I have 70 posts so maybe I make the cut! You might need to use a different metric than post-count to gauge the believability of what people are writing - for example, do they sound reasonable. Or maybe your first post should have stated, "please do not reply unless you have at least NNN posts..."

But really, with regard to "there is nothing in terms of product reviews for the higher end road bikes" from "reputable 3rd party" reviewers, that is simply not true. There are not lots and lots of reviews, as you will find for Trek, Specialized, and so on, but there have been reviews of the "higher end road bikes" in Road Bike Action, Peloton, and Bicycling, at least.

Listen, I understand that it's a leap to order a bike that you haven't test-ridden off the interwebs (it was for me), but to come here and say essentially "people, please tell me what's really up with these bikes, but be warned that I'm already pre-disposed not to believe you" - that might rub some folks the wrong way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tonkabaydog View Post
    If the 100% money back guarantee after 30 days can't give you comfort, go buy a bike at your LBS and pay the tax and their overhead.

The rest of us "GAMBLERS" (euphamism for smart buyers) are playing with a stacked deck favoring BD and have known of and purchased from BD/Mike for years. In my case, 6 years.

I have to laugh, these sorts of comments are like what I used to read about BD in 2005. Fastward and thousands of bikes sold, I just don't get it.
    Like I said, I'm taking a risk by bidding on an ebay machine. It may be slight, but without having ridden the thing it is still a risk. My skepticism is due to BD-USA being in business for almost 10 years, yet there is little evidence of professional acceptance. There are many possible reasons for this good and bad, but without more information, yeah to me it is a gamble because it is my money.

Laugh at my questions all you want, many other people feel the same and are just looking for reassurance before doing business with a new company. It is perfectly reasonable and legitimate to remain skeptical.
    Last edited by sustainpedal; 01-13-2012 at 12:27 PM.

The Pb Torpedo
    Jun 2011
    Like I said, I'm taking a risk by bidding on an ebay machine. My skepticism is due to BD-USA being in business for almost 10 years, yet there is little evidence of professional acceptance. There are many possible reasons for this good and bad, but without more information, yeah to me it is a gamble because it is my money.

Laugh at my questions all you want, many other people feel the same and are just looking for reassurance before doing business with a new company. It is perfectly reasonable and legitimate to remain skeptical.
    However, it just doesn't seem like anything any of us write in this thread is going to give you any more reassurance. It seems that nothing short of one of the most well-known and respected forum members, with thousands of posts, saying that BD bikes are good, will do the job.

[sarcasm] Oh wait, I think there is a post higher up in the thread, from a forum member who owns a bike store, basically saying that while he's not a fan of the BD business model, the bikes are fine. [/sarcasm]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast