Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Windsor Fens or Gravity Comp 30?

Hi, I'm in the market for a bike to replace a 25 year old aluminum Cannondale road bike. I don't race and never will but do enjoy 15-50 mile rides. After much reading on these forums I'm sold on the benefits of a BD bike but I just can't decide which might be best for me.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Windsor Fens or Gravity Comp 30. The Fens has lots of good reviews but I can't find much about the Gravity Comp.

Other than the wheels, the frame appears to be the main difference. The Gravity has, according to their website, a semi-compact frame. From looking at the specs, it looks like the Gravity would have a more upright riding position (which I want).

Can anyone comment on these two, specifically the Gravity?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I am in the same boat. I was looking at the Motobecane Vent Noir, but my size is sold out. I saw the Gravity Comp 30, and was intrigued but there is no info out there on it, which concerns me - how heavy is it, how well made is it, is it some other company's frame (it looks kinda familiar). I would almost rather go with the Windsor because they actually have their own website.
    Last edited by Rogeronabike; 04-20-2011 at 05:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

All the same

Most of the brands on www.bikesdirect.com are owned by them. For example, motobecane, windsor, dawes, and gravity are all owned by the owner of bikesdirect, Mike. They create the websites for the brands, and ther is a website for gravity (made by bikes direct like to other ones) It is www.gravitybikes.com Long story short, dont let the "lack of info" about gravity bikes bother you. All made and backed up by bikes direct, so the faith you have in windsor you should have in gravity. Hope that helps, I like the Gravity as well, but not sure I want a relaxed geometry. Holding out for an SRAM steel cyclocross bike!

There are some non-bikesdirect bikes on the site, IE> Kestral, Schwinn, and GT are not owned by them

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the insight, that really helps. I think I will go for the Gravity...being 50 years old and used to riding a mountain bike, the relaxed geometry sounds just right!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    fyi the gravity road frames have identical geo to the giant defy (al)

kk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I was also looking at the Comp 30 its only $100 more then the a Trek 1.1 and it had 105 gear compared to the 2300. Can you please post any updates about the bike if you do get it I would be very interested in some first hand comments. Thanks in advance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Gravity Comp 30 arrived today.

My Comp 30 arrived today and I have assembled it but not tuned it. This is my 4th bike from Bikes Direct and so far I feel Ive gotten much more than I paid for with each one. (original bike was stolen bought one for my wife.. the Comp 30 is my first full road bike). I was also torn between the Fens and the Comp 30 but went for the semi compact frame for the more relaxed position. Right out of the box, the bike will need a bit of tuning before the first ride. Plan on a trip to the bike shop for assembly and tuning if you dont feel capable of doing that yourself.... but this cost is going to be built in to any bike you buy. Hopefully a ride report tomorrow... so far its a good looking bike and arrived in excellent condition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Comp 30 is fully tuned this morning and Im working on the last of the fitting adjustments. I will note - at least initially - the semi compact frame is not that large of a change from the hybrid (jubilee dlx) that I was riding. With seat, toe clip pedals, reflectors and two water bottle racks, the bike dials in right under 25 lbs. Short ride report possible later today if the weather holds out.

I will note that my bike was NOT ride-able right out of the box and took a good bit of adjusting to get tuned...HOWEVER... this is possible with any bike-in-a-box purchase. The shimano 105's dialed right in as described and so far all is well.

Note: I just inverted the bike stem to raise the handlebars just a bit.. if you are looking for a more comfortable ride, this is easier done before you attach the handle bars.... careful not to over tighten the stem cap!
    Last edited by dprime; 04-27-2011 at 08:47 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    How about a few pictures?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Pictures

Pictures. Out of the box. On the stand during assembly.. and assembled and tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by dprime; 04-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Awesome, better than the pics on website!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I think it looks better in person than on the web also.. Trying to get the pics directly on the post but its taking me a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for posting the pics....it does look nicer then the web site!

Looks exactly like the Giant Defy.

Congrats!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Just back from my first ride... OK.. so there is going to be a bit of a learning curve from my hybrid to the road bike.. The sitting position is not uncomfortable at all and the seat is much firmer but not as bad as I expected... control reach is going to be a bit of an issue but that is because of me and my previous bike experience (very little). Im also not sure inverting the top tube was the best setup Idea... i may change it back

The 105's shift very smoothly as long as I can remember to unload them before I try to shift (IE uphill).

The brake lever shims shown in the Shimano video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wExkjmW6LnQ are in the parts box with the bike and I may well install the larger shim.

also there are some directions on the 105 shifters on the shimano web site.. beyond this, Im not finding any really good instructions on how to use them or what they do.. http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830702880.pdf
    Last edited by dprime; 04-28-2011 at 08:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    what do you think about the wheels? I just ordered this same bike, I'm trying to figure out how to get stronger but lighter wheels. The ones on this bike are 2035 grams.. on bicycle wheel warehouse I can cut it down to 1450-1495, but I'd like a few more spokes than 24(touring a bit this summer).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

wheels

In all honesty I dont have enough experience to offer much help on a specific subject like that. They look cool. Both wheels were trued up nicely out of the box, and they were still nicely true after my first ride. I kind of tweaked one of the spokes during the unpackaging process, but couldnt find any indication of damage or bending. I got the michelin tires (was kind of hoping for the contential) and was a little concerned that they may be a little easier to puncture but I had no issues on the first ride. The bike is a little heavier than BD customer service told me it was going to be ( they said 19-21 lbs.. I have it closer to 25 lbs with clip pedals installed), however, Im riding for fitness almost exclusively so the extra weight is not an issue to me....at least not that little....

Sorrry I cant be of more help.. newbie here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dprime
    In all honesty I dont have enough experience to offer much help on a specific subject like that. They look cool. Both wheels were trued up nicely out of the box, and they were still nicely true after my first ride. I kind of tweaked one of the spokes during the unpackaging process, but couldnt find any indication of damage or bending. I got the michelin tires (was kind of hoping for the contential) and was a little concerned that they may be a little easier to puncture but I had no issues on the first ride. The bike is a little heavier than BD customer service told me it was going to be ( they said 19-21 lbs.. I have it closer to 25 lbs with clip pedals installed), however, Im riding for fitness almost exclusively so the extra weight is not an issue to me....at least not that little....

Sorrry I cant be of more help.. newbie here.
    Not a problem. I'm thinking of saving up for a carbon frame and swapping everything over to that.. This bike rides nice, it's comfortable, but It just doesn't feel "right" I'm not sure how to explain it. Here's a pic of mine assembled/mostly tuned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Notes on Fit

I will make a few notes on fit an feel. I inverted the stem during my initial assembly and have kept it that way. After riding a bit I tilted the seat down some in the front from level and I also took the small spacers out of the shifters and put the larger spacers in... The latter two adjustments made a big difference in how the bike felt to me as well as the accessibility of the levers.....

just my two cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dprime
    I will make a few notes on fit an feel. I inverted the stem during my initial assembly and have kept it that way. After riding a bit I tilted the seat down some in the front from level and I also took the small spacers out of the shifters and put the larger spacers in... The latter two adjustments made a big difference in how the bike felt to me as well as the accessibility of the levers.....

just my two cents.
    I'll give this a shot... I'm pretty tempted to save up for a carbon frame that I've ridden before.. My feet hitting the wheel puts me off a bit with this bike, and it's just not a comfortable ride for me.. I wanted something more aggressive I guess. Everyone's got to take chances though. I like the components, wheels etc.. just not the way the frame feels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    One thing I did that helped a lot with getting a lower stance was lowering the stem a little. just popped it off and took a spacer out dropped the stem back on and put the spacer on the top.. It's much more comfortable now. Still not 100% where I'd want it, but I'll give it some more time... In other news I hit 38mph on a slight downhill on my way back from the store.. This bike's fast for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I sprung for the carbon frame I've been looking at.. I just couldn't grow to love the Gravity frame. I swapped everything off of the Gravity to this carbon frame/fork. Here's a pic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    A question for you guys that have a Gravity Comp 30. How much clearance is there round the tires? Do you thing a 35 would fit under there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    you wanting to put larger wheels on it? probably gonna be a clearance problem... its pretty tight

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah. Was thinking of getting a cyclocross bike but as I think about it more and more I don't think I really need a cross. But there are some hard packed biking/walking trails that I would like to be able to ride. They are pretty smooth with only a few small ruts and rodent holes. Nothing that the rims and frame can't handle but a little more traction will be needed and if I can get a little more width (volume) that wouldn't hurt either. I'm starting to think that the Comp 30 is the way I want to go regardless. It looks like a nice bike and you can't beat the price point. I have found some tires with decent tread that are only 32mm. I'm hoping that should fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Hi sharm and folks. New to RBR, but in the market for a new racing-worthy bike after a 17 year love affair with my steel Bridgestone RB-1. I wondered sharm, what's the size of the Gravity you have pictured? I am a little betwixt at the BD website's suggestions of rider sizes per frame sizes.

And as you prob. know, the conventional steel frame and racing geometry of the RB-1 will be a big adjustment to the Gravity's semi-compact setup. So i'm wondering about your concerns with the feel of the bike. Was it lazy in turning? Was it stiff out of the saddle?

Dprime: what size is your Gravity?

Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast