Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aravilar View Post
    I agree, but the main problem with the 3.0 (as I mentioned earlier) is that the shifters aren't even fully integrated and you're stuck with thumb shifters.
    No sH!t sherlock.

It'd be a waste to upgrade to Claris/Sora and then upgrade again when you decide that you want even more savings.
    If you wanted with better components right away... then spend more than $400 and get yourself a nicer bike with better components.

Yes, I do have a wellington 3.0 also. It's my cheap vacation bike.

Someday, I might upgrade that bike, maybe to a Tiagra 4600 build.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    PlatyPius may be stubborn in his ways, but he's far from being an idiot troll.
    I'm not sure how else you can characterize posting misleading "facts" in BD threads. There's way too much tolerance on these forums for reverse shilling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    No sH!t sherlock.

Sounds like you're the one trolling. Go enjoy your CF frame bike.

Yes, I do have a wellington 3.0 also. It's my cheap vacation bike.

Someday, I might upgrade that bike, maybe to a Tiagra 4600 build.
    So you can save 200g? Nice. Go hit the treadmill, bro.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I'm not sure how else you can characterize posting misleading "facts" in BD threads. There's way too much tolerance on these forums for reverse shilling.
    What's misleading? the Frame and fork is made by Kinesis. Sure it's an aluminum frame. 6061-T6 is a common material because it is cheap and easy to work with (ie cutting & welding). I don't expect it to be some sort of exotic aluminum, that can cost more.

So you can save 200g? Nice. Go hit the treadmill, bro.
    No, because I don't like the old style Sora shifters...why are you complaining about the weight of it? You do have a carbon fiber frame bike, right? Maybe you should take your own advice.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite with the RBR not-approved Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded to SRAM X9 with 1x10 and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless.
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra with 9-speed SLX RD to run 11-32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    and
    Some Burton snowboard setups, one with stiff ol' Camber and one with Rocker-Camber-Rocker

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    What's misleading? the Frame and fork is made by Kinesis. Sure it's an aluminum frame. 6061-T6 is a common material because it is cheap and easy to work with (ie cutting & welding). I don't expect it to be some sort of exotic aluminum, that can cost more.
    Among other things:
    - $25 will barely pay for your sea shipping from China
    - Quoting wholesale prices for "parts"
    - Clear weasel wording with the lawn chair thing (who knows if they're made of 6061 or not)
    - 6061 is a common material for nearly all entry frames

Maybe it's just because I've read way too much bs re: BD on these forums.

No, because I don't like the old style Sora shifters...why are you complaining about the weight of it? You do have a carbon fiber frame bike, right? Maybe you should take your own advice.
    There's Claris for that now, but this might be an misunderstanding.

As for why I finally bought CF and lycra, I reached a point after several months of biking where finding 5lbs of weight of non-lean mass to lose actually became hard.

Among other things:
    - $25 will barely pay for your sea shipping from China
    - Quoting wholesale prices for "parts"
    - Clear weasel wording with the lawn chair thing (who knows if they're made of 6061 or not)
    - 6061 is a common material for nearly all entry frames

Maybe it's just because I've read way too much bs re: BD on these forums.
    - There are these things called "shipping containers". When someone buys frames by the container, the cost to ship each is small. Sure it was a closeout price, but I still did indeed buy a bunch of Kinesis frames for $25/each.

- I do that a lot. People think shops get crap even cheaper than what they see on Ribble or PBK. I post wholesale to prove them wrong.

- My point was that it's crappy aluminum tubing. It's as thick as the engine block on a 1977 Chevy Vega.

- Yes it is. Chicken is a common material in a lot of foods. They don't all taste the same.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    - There are these things called "shipping containers". When someone buys frames by the container, the cost to ship each is small. Sure it was a closeout price, but I still did indeed buy a bunch of Kinesis frames for $25/each.

- I do that a lot. People think shops get crap even cheaper than what they see on Ribble or PBK. I post wholesale to prove them wrong.

- My point was that it's crappy aluminum tubing. It's as thick as the engine block on a 1977 Chevy Vega.

- Yes it is. Chicken is a common material in a lot of foods. They don't all taste the same.
    - You should really just disclose your vested interest as a competitor instead of the half-assing.
    - Good job proving people wrong by posting unit cost instead of total landed cost. OH WAIT...
    - It's low cost tubing, sure. Is it lawn chair tubing? Are lawn chairs designed to absorb shock? It's a spurious comparison designed to deprecate BD bikes.
    - That's because the taste in chicken is the fat, not the protein. But I'm sure you knew that.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    RBR has a general distaste for Bikes Direct products. Why do you think there is a giant thread in The Lounge about Bikes Direct for?

Some of the big companies contract their frame & fork production to other companies.... Kinesis is one of those recipients.
    and

- You should really just disclose your vested interest as a competitor instead of the half-assing.
    - Good job proving people wrong by posting unit cost instead of total landed cost. OH WAIT...
    - It's low cost tubing, sure. Is it lawn chair tubing? Are lawn chairs designed to absorb shock? It's a spurious comparison designed to deprecate BD bikes.
    - That's because the taste in chicken is the fat, not the protein. But I'm sure you knew that.
    - Anyone on RBR worth my time already knows that I own a shop. It used to be in my signature as a disclaimer until I stopped caring.
    - My total cost on the frames was $25/each. That's what I paid for them from a distributor. I'm sure they got them cheaper.
    - I don't need to deprecate BD bikes. Most people realize that you're paying for the components, not the frame. The only time the frame is at all a benefit rather than a liability is when you buy a Motobecane that uses one of the 5 year old Fuji frames. At least then it's halfway decent.
    - I don't even know what to say to that.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    The Windsor Wellington frame is made by Kinesis (unless they've changed recently). I can buy them new for about $25. You know the aluminum that lawn furniture is made from? Yeah....
    You are so full of yourself you don't know when to stop or that you make yourself look like a total tool. What the heck is wrong with you ?

Aluminum bike frames are all made of 6061 or 7075.

Please Mr Wise one, tell us all about the difference between the aluminum in a Trek, Orbea, and a B-52 Strato fortress. Or a $3,000 benchrest target rifle receiver.

And, I ask you to show a recipt or any credible proof other than your self trumpeting of a $25 NEW Kinesis Windor frame with fork.

Your move, again, ace.

Or, just stay the heck out of this area of the forum. And send me another nasty little reputation comment.

What was it ?

Enjoy your souless riding experience.
    Perfect advice and a great spokesman for the industry.

Mods, - sorry, but this fool needs a beatdown.
    Only the dead shall know the end of war.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Hey, I'm thinking about getting either the Wellington 3.0 2013 or 2015 model. The 2015 model is actually $20 cheaper than the 2013 model, which I found weird. Which one would you guys go for if you had to choose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    I think most have stated the 2013 due to the shifters, fork.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeinHD View Post
    Hey, I'm thinking about getting either the Wellington 3.0 2013 or 2015 model. The 2015 model is actually $20 cheaper than the 2013 model, which I found weird. Which one would you guys go for if you had to choose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Was they online then? ")

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12