BobtheBuilder
    Aug 2010

Lake Winnipesaukee

I am headed on a family vacation in mid June to Lake Winnipesaukee and was curious if anyone who lives back in the area can give me so ride ideas. I am going to bring my brothers bike with us so I won't have to rent. I am coming from Phoenix so I have no clue what the area is like or what some of the laws are.

I have been to Mapmyride and Strava to see some of the maps/Segments but one major question I have is how are the roads that circumnavigate the lake? Good bike lanes? I mapped it out and its about 62 miles all the way around which would be perfect for 4-5 rides that week.

I am not opposed to driving a little ways to get a good ride in either. How far is Mt. Washington? Can it be ridden on a road bike?

Anyways thanks for any info you may have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by EastonZ16 View Post

I am not opposed to driving a little ways to get a good ride in either. How far is Mt. Washington? Can it be ridden on a road bike?
    Maybe an hour depending where you are on the lake. And no, it's only open to bikes a few times a year and to people who sign up for and pay for the event.
    It's worth driving up near there though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are some routes that start from North Conway, circle around through the border area of Maine through Evans Notch, and then along the river, and come back to North Conway down Rte 16 through Pinkham Notch, where you get a great view of the Presidential Range. There's also the classic trek along the Kankamagus. 34 miles one way, about 70 out and back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    In terms of going around Winni, I think it would be OK (generally decent pave and shoulder) BUT I probably wouldn't do it because of how many touristas are out and about. Depending on where you are there are plenty of side routes to get away from traffic. If you want to do something in the whites, the loop from Lincoln to Franconia to Crawford Notch and back via Bear Notch Rd and Kanc is a tremendous ride but lumpy and long. Its a better alternative to circumnavigating Mt Washington. No matter where you go be prepared to climb. Enjoy

There can be only one
    IMO, the route circling the lake has a couple scenic parts, but is mostly very mundane riding on busy roads. If you're starting there, it might be worth doing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it.

As mentioned, the rides around Conway are more interesting, but provide a lot of climbing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Riding around the Lake (yes, about 62 miles) is a great training ride. Lots of hills, some busy. Did I mention the hills? It would be a solid training ride.
    Just ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    riding around Squam might be a safer ride, but much steeper hills.

off the back
    Routes 28 and 11 are pretty wide roads with good shoulders for the most part, that section of 109 I'm not really familiar with, but I'm guessing it's pretty much two-lane back road, not very wide, and not much shoulder. 11B, 3 and 25 would be pretty much the same, not too wide, and generally with a lot of traffic that time of the year.
    Eff the King's Guard. Eff the city. Eff the King.