Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Looking for Advice on Connecticut Cycling

904 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Blue Sugar 
#1 ·
I might be camping at Rocky Neck State Park next month in Niantic (East Lyme), CT. I'm not familiar with the area but I notice lots of green on the map indicating rural areas. I love to cycle in new areas and am wondering if it would be worth bringing my bike. It's only for a weekend so I may only get one or possibly two rides in.

I don't like to ride in congested areas so I'm not sure about route 156 but it looks like the roads going north past the Stone Ranch Military Reservation might be nice. Thanks for any insight!

#2 ·
From Rocky Neck, you'll want to venture AWAY from the shoreline towns as you'll be in or near vacation season and traffic will be increasing. Things don't start to really thin out until you get north of Route 1 (refer to any map).

While I don't live in that section of Connecticut, I have ridden there, particularly from Niantic west, crossing the Connecticut River. From Rocky Neck I'd suggest heading west on Rte. 156 and passing through Lyme and Old Lyme CT. Take a left onto Joshuatown Road, a scenic, hilly, secluded area. At Route 148, turn right. In about 1/4 mile is a country store if you need it, at the intersection of 148 and 82. You can then take 82 East and turn right on Route 156 and return the way you came.

As an alternative, you can skip Joshuatown Road and continue north on Rte. 156 to the intersection of Rte. 82. Take a quick right then left at the Fox Hopyard Golf Club onto Hopyard Road (Rte. 434, although I don't think you'll find route numbers on this road-I've never seen 'em.). You'll be riding through Devil's Hopyard State Park. It's as country as country gets.

At the end the road "T"s and continues left on Rte. 434. Somewhat hillier but still enjoyably country. You'll eventually bomb down a hill with Shagbark Lumber on your right and reach a stop sign. Turn left onto Rte. 82 East and ride until you turn right onto Route 156 and head back to Rocky Neck, or if you're a glutton for punishment, when 82 intersects 148, stop at the country store I mentioned earlier, if necessary, ride east on 148 a couple hundred yards, pick up Joshuatown Road and take IT to Route 156. Turn right at the end and return to Rocky Neck via Rte. 156.

Route 156 really isn't that bad; Picking up Route 1 West to get to the routes I mentioned might be better because it's a smaller, slightly more scenic road.

Joshuatown Road and the Hopyard Road/434/82 loops will be the most enjoyable, guaranteed. PM me if you need more info.

#3 ·
Thanks very much for such detailed analysis of the area. I'll use ridewithgps to try to map some routes out.

#4 ·
You should absolutely bring your bike, and make time for at least one ride. The above route advice is very good, but I'd amend it slightly. From Rocky Neck head west in 156, past the connector and backed-up traffic, past 4 Mile River Rd, and take the 1st right after that onto Mile Creek Rd. Follow for several miles and turn right onto Whippoorwill Rd. Follow all the way to Rt 1 and turn right then left on Town Woods Rd. Follow all the way up to Bill Hill Rd and turn right. Take Bill Hill all the way to 156 and turn right. Left on Joshuatown (don't miss this road). Follow Joshuatown to 148 and at this point you have some choices. You can go left to the ferry landing or up to Gillette Castle State Park, both scenic places and good for a break. Otherwise turn right on 148 and follow to the four corners and country store. Store has limited hours by the way, don't assume it will be opened on Sunday or early AM/after 5PM. Bring enough water and snacks to get you through the ride. At this point you have choices, depending how much longer you want to ride.

For the short option go right onto Brush Hill/Mt Archer Rd. Follow all the way to McIntosh Rd and go left to 156. From there take Beaver Brook Rd to Grassy Hill and Grassy Hill to Rt 1. Left on Rt 1 and right on Four Mile River Rd to get you back to Rocky Neck.

For the long option go left on rt. 82/156 and right on Clark Hill Rd. Follow to Tater Hill, left and up to Millington Rd/Rt 434. Take 434 down through Devil's Hopyard, right on 82, left on 156, and left on Salem Rd just before the powerline. Right on Gungy Rd to Beaver Brook, then straight on Grassy Hill. Left on Rt 1, right on Four Mile River.

These routes will keep you off the main roads as much as possible and on the quieter, shadier, more scenic, but hillier, back roads. Local drivers are used to cyclists and courteous as long as you don't ride like a dick.

Reactions: JasonB176
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.