RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Wells Avenue Training Series/Wompatuck Training Series?

I'll be visiting family in the Boston area in late May and June. I'll be in the Needham area and Lakeville area.

Anyone have any local knowledge about the Wells Avenue crit in Newton and the Wompatuck Training crit in Hingham? I'm a Cat 5 from Louisiana where it's really flat so I'm looking to polish my crit racing and get some hill work in while I'm there.

And any other local riding info?--I know there used to be a CRW ride from Needham through Dover, but I don't see it listed anymore--is Dover a no go for riding?
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Wells ave crit is what it says it is: Wells Ave "Held as a CRITERIUM on a FLAT, SMOOTH 0.8 mile circuit with a long, wide finishing straight, Wells offers a safe and fast sprint finish. The majority of weekends will start the racing at 8am with the C race."
    Nothing I can say to add or expand upon that.

No, Dover is a great town to ride in.

It's not flat where you'll be but it's not a good area for hills either. You'd need to go a bit Northwest.

Google Ruble maps and consider buying the Eastern Mass one. It really helped me learn the area as a cyclist. If you want to target a destination for a ride Harvard (the town not the school) might be a good choice because you'd have to climb to get there.

If you have the time and a car you could drive to the White Mountains in NH for some serious climbing.
    Last edited by Jay Strongbow; 05-09-2017 at 09:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks. I'll have a car and used to live there back in the 90s as well as growing up there as a kid, but I was a mountain biker back in the 90s so I don't know the road routes other than seeing roadies blow through Dover.
    My blog about bicycling: http://offthebackweb.wordpress.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Exeter (NH) Cycles, Wednesdays. 50mi --- 2 hrs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    whoa dude, fight traffic from Needham to Exeter for a 50 mile ride?

OP, if you're looking for group rides try googling "Ride Headquarters Sherborn". They do a lot of mixed and off road stuff but also do road rides and special event type rides. You could easily ride your bike from Needham to there. I've only been to a few of their rides but each time it was nothing but strong riders who knew what they were doing and were fun to ride with.

I'm sure there are other close options too but I'm more familiar with the scene a bit North and West of there.