RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by artie159 View Post
    In again for another day of fun.
    Any one else riding ??
    Disregard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    $329 to register? Did I read that right?
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    $329 to register? Did I read that right?
    Almost. There's also a $16.45 registration fee, but that total includes a bottle of wine and a jersey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Imagine the "Eureka!" moment when someone realized people would fall over themselves to pay $345 for the same bike ride they could normally do free. And drop $189 on a souvenir jersey and pay $700 to rent a bike.
    It ain't bragging if you can do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Imagine the "Eureka!" moment when someone realized people would fall over themselves to pay $345 for the same bike ride they could normally do free. And drop $189 on a souvenir jersey and pay $700 to rent a bike.
    Well, the $345 is for last minute sign ups.

I've done it a couple times. It is a lot of fun, and despite my joking I did find it very much worth it.

If you sign-up early...especially right after you do the ride...I think you can get in for like $200 or something. There's discounts. The longer you wait, the higher $ it climbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    I usually won't pay more than 50-60 to do a ride. I like the design and colors on the kit. but not enough to spend the amount of money required to get them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the reminder, I put it in my calendar so I'll remember to ride West that day and avoid the ride.

GFNY seems to be worth it for many, many people - it is surely very popular. For me, however, it isn't worth it to pay that much to ride on roads I ride on all of the time.

Have fun, though, the ride does take in some nice roads.

(Edit: getting less nice, however. They've cut down even MORE trees on Gate Hill Rd. between Blanchard and Willow Grove, to make room for those stupid mansions. That used to be a nice stretch of road, especially in the fall with all of the colors. Now half of it is pretty much a wasteland. Progress!!)

----------
    Last edited by D&MsDad; 2 Days Ago at 12:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    $189 for a jersey? Did I read that right?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    All derision aside, I came to the conclusion a long time ago that lots of people are willing to pay a premium to participate in a "BIG EVENT !!!" like GFNY. It's not the ride so much that appeals to them, but to be part of the big crowd. It may seem justifiable to shell out a few Benjamins when you show up and see that there are thousands of other like-minded people. But imagine if you paid the same fee for exactly the same ride, but when you show up there are only a dozen or so other riders. You would probably think to yourself "What a rip off. Not much different than a typical club or shop ride."

The other thing about being "part of the crowd" is that it doesn't always last. I did an event last week with about 150 riders. It was a mass start, and after about 5 miles, most (if not all) of the faster riders were ahead of me, and the slower riders were behind me. So for most of the rest of the ride I hardly saw anyone else until I got to the finish.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    If I had a group of friends that were doing it I might consider it. I have a friend that did it a few years back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I get the attraction of the ride, especially if you are not from the NYC area. Chance to ride the GWB, traffic control at intersections, etc. But... I don't want the jersey (and have to wear it) or the wine. Cut out the extra's and bring the price down and let the people wear what they want although it hurts the advertising aspect. If something comes up, sick/injury/family/weather, and I couldn't ride, I would miss that money and be pissed. If it was only $50-$60 I would be ok. Lastly, who wants to ride with a bunch of guys that are so serious about it that they dope to win?