RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

catskill road info.

Hi all, Is anyone familiar with rt. 49 from highmount ski center south to rt.54 and then west on 54 through turnwood and on down to beaverkill.This looks like it would be a great ride.Can someone verify if it's paved through, one map I have shows a break as if its a dead end near barkaboom mt. I'v had a itch to ride this road for a while now, time to take care of it.

Thanks

Pete

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    not sure how your getting from 49 to 54. Delaware county is synonymis with dirt roads and most of the roads heading south from Pepacton have some dirt. Its been a couple of years but Mary Smith, Cross Mt., Beech Hill definately have dirt sections, some more ruts than dirt. That said, I've been on plenty of them with carbon wheels and no problems.
    54 is paved from just north of Livingston Manor out past Turnwood. Fast ride from Turnwood to LM. I like coming from LM up 152 and picking up Berry Brook (all paved) to Pepacton. Lotta nice climbs & descents in that area if you don't mind getting off the pavement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

catskill climber

catskill climber that section from turnwood to arena ia where I was curious about, then I was going on mill brook rd. to 49 and 49a to 28 and then 47 to claryville. How are the roads between claryville and L.M. in the willowemoc and debruce area maybe I would like to ride through there maybe (pole rd.) instead of going down to 55. I 'm o.k. with occasional dirt but other riders may whine a bit. thanks for the info.( P.S. you have great riding there ) pete

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Sorry, I don't recall riding on the section from turnwood to arena. With the weatherr we've had I would assume any dirt sections are at least a little rutted. The road from LM to Claryville is paved the entire way (I live in Claryville) and that is definately a better route (virtually no traffic) compared to 55. There is a little road construction (chipped stone) right before the turn onto Pole Rd. The turn onto Pole Rd. is almost 180 degrees and starts climbing immediately. Once you get over that bump it is rolling/downhill all the way to LM.
    If you a looking for a food stop, I recommend the Blue Hill Lodge in Claryville. They make great sandwiches. Skip the turn up Pole rd, go to the end of the road and make a left. About another mile on the left side. Should only add 4-5miles to get you there and back to Pole rd. Your next stop would be in LM.