RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Century for the Cure

I know it is early but thinking of mapping out goals for the year.

I am torn between this and the Fondo. Same weekend again.

The Gran Fondo was a great ride and I would really like to beat my time. Otoh Century for the cure is a great cause and local. Something I would like to support.

Has anyone done this ride? What did you think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I haven't done the CFTC ride, but if this is the route, I'd have to say I like the Fondo route better. Century for the Cure - Warren Township, New Jersey

Of course, you could always do the CFTC on Saturday and the Fondo on Sunday, or do less than the full century on one or both, or support the CFTC financially or as a volunteer, etc.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    I haven't done the CFTC ride, but if this is the route, I'd have to say I like the Fondo route better. Century for the Cure - Warren Township, New Jersey

Of course, you could always do the CFTC on Saturday and the Fondo on Sunday, or do less than the full century on one or both, or support the CFTC financially or as a volunteer, etc.
    All true. I did google the CFTC route and definitely like the Fondo better (I ride most of the CFTC roads regularly), but I do not think I will get the pass from the wife for two centuries in two days. And even if I did, I would prefer them reversed. Also not into doing anything less than a Century in a ride called "Century". Ego can't handle that. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    i've never done the fondo but i did the century ride.. isn't the fondo a lot more challenging and fast paced?

i've always steered away from both the NY and NJ fondos because it seems tough but a century at my own pace with rest stops in between, i can do any day..
    The difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them!!

* Specialized Tricross Sport
    * Specialized S-works Roubaix SL3 di2
    Member of NYCC & 5Boro bike clubs
    www.nycc.org
    www.5bbc.org

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drodrigueznyc View Post
    i've never done the fondo but i did the century ride.. isn't the fondo a lot more challenging and fast paced?

i've always steered away from both the NY and NJ fondos because it seems tough but a century at my own pace with rest stops in between, i can do any day..
    The NJ Fondo had plenty of rest stops. Only four climbs were timed. Very nice ride. You go at your own pace but there is a bit of an edge during the climbs. It was a lot of fun. Just thinking of something different.

What did you think of the Century??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Also not into doing anything less than a Century in a ride called "Century". Ego can't handle that. ;)
    You could call it "A Metric Century and A Half... and Change"
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    I've done CFC twice and I liked it. It's well organized and it's run by some great people. I haven't done many other organized rides so I can't compare, but I've been met with a friendly vibe by everyone along the way. It's on my calendar for 2013. The route east of 287 isn't the most scenic but I feel like it was designed to minimize the climbing and keep it more accessible for the weekend warriors. It's a good time!

This is my track from last year. If I recall correctly there was a last minute route adjustment to go around some fresh chip seal, so I think that's what led to the less than 100mi total. You can always do a few spins around the parking lot at the end

J9L
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Re: Century for the Cure

Is the century for cure the same as ADA tour de cure?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    The Century for the Cure is a great ride for a good cause. Century for the Cure

As a survivor who has been treated by the Cancer Institute of NJ, where ALL the funds go I think it is a ride that shouldn't be missed. It is too bad that the Fondo is the same weekend since it will draw some people away.

There is a 40 mile option that could always be done as a warmup for the Fondo. Over $1 million raised so far. If you can't make it at least donate.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by J9L View Post
    Is the century for cure the same as ADA tour de cure?
    Basically what B&G said. It is a cancer ride. Leaves from Camp Riverbend in Warren.

My only hesitation is the weekend but I did the Fondo last year and am doing the Ny Fondo this year. So the cause will likely win.

If you have the time and are still in NJ try it.

Also not nearly the climbing of the Nj Fondo.

J9L
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Quote Originally Posted by NJBiker72 View Post
    Basically what B&G said. It is a cancer ride. Leaves from Camp Riverbend in Warren.

My only hesitation is the weekend but I did the Fondo last year and am doing the Ny Fondo this year. So the cause will likely win.

If you have the time and are still in NJ try it.

Also not nearly the climbing of the Nj Fondo.
    I'll have to work my way up to the grand fondo. Although my routes are filled with hill climbing in my area, im pretty slow at times. I ride the MS ride in the fall but I'd like to do a spring/summer ride...I was considering the ADA ride in June but we'll see. Good luck with whichever ride u decide

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by J9L View Post
    I'll have to work my way up to the grand fondo. Although my routes are filled with hill climbing in my area, im pretty slow at times. I ride the MS ride in the fall but I'd like to do a spring/summer ride...I was considering the ADA ride in June but we'll see. Good luck with whichever ride u decide
    Thanks. A few of our club members did the Medio Fondo last year. I did it aa a training ride and still do parts of it.

The ADA ride also looks nice. Liberty Corner is a good hill. You might want to look at Revolutionary Ramble if I recall correctly or Tour de Long Valley for summer rides. Or just find a faster group to ride with which is what I am currently thinking.