RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Cycling onto/off of Long Beach Island?

Spending a week on LBI in August and want to bike onto the island, and back to the mainland after the vacation.

Does anyone have any info on Rt. 72?

I've driven it before and looking at google street view, it seems very, very sketchy.

Do people bike this or is this just a dumb idea?

Thanks.

TriHarder
    Oct 2011
    I have never left the island on bike but was planning to last week when I was down there, then I saw the causeway bridge is now under construction. It does not look too bad getting off the island, but getting back on may be a bit sketchy.
    Thanks,

Ryan

2011 Specialized Tarmac Pro
    2011 Specialized Allez Elite
    2013 Trek Ion CX Pro
    2012 Specialized Crosstrail

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Cycling onto/off of Long Beach Island?

I rode on and off once from Galloway. Take the lane if you do it. May be a problem with construction but riding the shoulder I cannot tell you how many cars and trucks buzzed me. Basically it feels like riding the Interstate.

It is unfortunate that many Jersey beach towns are not more accessible by bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks all.

NJBiker72 -- What do you mean "take the lane" (instead of the shoulder). Do you just mean ride IN the lane to force cars to swing wide (as opposed to sitting far into the shoulder and getting buzzed)? Or is there something I'm missing here?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankingSally View Post
    Thanks all.

NJBiker72 -- What do you mean "take the lane" (instead of the shoulder). Do you just mean ride IN the lane to force cars to swing wide (as opposed to sitting far into the shoulder and getting buzzed)? Or is there something I'm missing here?
    IIRC, it is a 4 lane bridge. Two lanes in either direction. Narrow shoulder, if you can even call it that. More like an unraised curb.

So yes, ride in the right lane. Make drivers pass you in the left lane. I am certain you will get some angry honks but I remember the ride over the bridge to be less than pleasant.

It was two years ago so my recollection could be off.

Grateful Ex-Clyde(-90lbs)
    Spending a week on LBI in August and want to bike onto the island, and back to the mainland after the vacation.
    Where ya comin' from?
    Year old info... but since I've done this spin twice (once as a one-way, and once as a round-trip maiden-century) {see here}, maybe some of my memories have some value.

72 is actually a pretty pleasant spin until you get to Stafford Township/Manahawkin. That's why I think it's relevant to find out where you're coming from. Want to know just how much of 72 you have to use. Me- I have to use all of it. Shoulder is ample, for the most part. I've received word-of-mouth warnings that Township police frown on continuous shoulder-riding (especially on weekends, when you'll find yourself passing cars by doing this)- but it seems that this "free advice" was worth the price. Never got troubled by cops for shoulder-cycling. On the other hand, you're guaranteed to aggravate auto users by taking up a full lane of traffic with your bicycle. [It doesn't matter to them that traffic's crawling- just the thought of a bicycle directly in front of them galls some drivers.]

Last year, there was construction at the Route 9 interchange. That's the bad news. The good news is- nobody's moving anywhere quickly- so there's more time to react to the roadway's occasional "unscheduled events." One other observation- road-debris can be pretty fierce on the Bridge over Barnegat Bay- not so much for the quantity (which I think is consistent with the volume), but for the lack of avoidance options. [No shoulder on the bridge.] Brother Van Cycle recommends Kevlar-belted tires.

Do people bike this or is this just a dumb idea? Thanks.
    Can't speak for "people" but there's at least one "person" who's done this- and would do it again.
    Rip Van Cycle... systematically increasing the value of s since re-awakening back in 2011(!)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I was just there the other day, I think that it's rideable but looks less then fun, I opted to
    drive off LBI, parked in Strafford and got in a long ride from there, a bit of a pain but seemed to me to be the safest bet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I do it all the time. No problem at all, though as others have pointed out it's not a lot of fun. I tend to leave the island very early AM, and get off of 72 as soon as I get to the mainland.

Do take the lane.

That said, there is some construction going on currently where the bridge lands onto the island. (Cedar Bonnet Island, technically.) Not sure what impact that will have on cycling, as I did not ride this past weekend.
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post

That said, there is some construction going on currently where the bridge lands onto the island. (Cedar Bonnet Island, technically.) Not sure what impact that will have on cycling, as I did not ride this past weekend.
    FYI

Long Beach Island causeway project creates confusion, anger - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Today's Top Headlines

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Off LBI Ride

I've driven it before and looking at google street view, it seems very, very sketchy.

Do people bike this or is this just a dumb idea?

Thanks.
    There is a 40+ mile group pace line ride I highly recommend that leaves Port Republic Tuesday Night (I believe they meet at the White church in center of town) at 6:00 or 6:30. They also go out on Sunday at 9:00 AM from a lake spot right around the corner from the church (this is ride I am familiar with but have heard the Tuesday ride is better). Great people pretty fast pace - 20+. Beautiful roads (very flat). It is about 35 minute drive from LBI but worth it. Its exit 48 off Parkway. Send me private message and I can give you more information/contacts.

Regards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    FYI - rode on and off the island twice this past weekend. Was no worse than usual (pre-construction) including riding back on around 2pm on a Friday afternoon,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013

As long as you keep your lane , stay to the side you'll be fine. I have done it many times. Plan on riding over it this weekend and the length of the island also

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourley View Post

As long as you keep your lane , stay to the side you'll be fine. I have done it many times. Plan on riding over it this weekend and the length of the island also
    Keep an eye out for a guy on a black Cervelo R3 wearing a Garmin jersey with the Brazilian flag on it... that'll be me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Keep an eye out for a guy on a black Cervelo R3 wearing a Garmin jersey with the Brazilian flag on it... that'll be me.
    Were you riding yesterday afternoon? I was driving and saw a guy in a Garmin kit on a Cervelo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
    Were you riding yesterday afternoon? I was driving and saw a guy in a Garmin kit on a Cervelo.
    Nope, just came back down for the weekend. Heading out now, though. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Update: I was on LBI and you'd have to be crazy to cycle on and off the island. I guess if there is traffic that is not moving it could be slightly less suicidal, however I'll never make that ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I did it going onto the Island before 6:30 on a Sat, and even with the light traffic, it was pretty death-defying.

Just watched that video, and wholly crap, the new bridge won't be done until 2020?!? I go over it a few times a week during the day and I never see more that 10 human beings at anytime working there, not including the trucks coming and going. Here's an idea, how about NOT hiring Gomer's Bridge Building Co. for the lowest bid possible who's going to take forever to complete it, leading to cost overruns on top of 7yrs of inflation.

My state can be so stupid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    On and off the island several times in the last few days. No problem at all - take the lane and pedal like crazy!

Being down here most weekends... I need to get off the island when riding. One can only go up and down the same three roads so many times. And on weekends, forget it with all the joggers, strollers, rollerbladers, and people on those stupid Nordic-trac looking things.

Worst case scenario, you can drive to Manahawkin and then ride south.
    Last edited by RJP Diver; 08-31-2013 at 06:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

Re: Cycling onto/off of Long Beach Island?

On and off the island several times in the last few days. No problem at all - take the lane and pedal like crazy!

Being down here most weekends... I need to get off the island when riding. One can only go up and down the same three roads so many times. And on weekends, forget it with all the joggers, strollers, rollerbladers, and people on those stupid Nordic-trac looking things.

Worst case scenario, you can drive to Manahawkin and then ride south.
    If I ever do it again, this is what I would do. Tried sharing the lane. Extremely scary.