RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

How Hard Is It To Ride To Boston?

I think it would be a great gesture if a few hundred NYC-area bikers could ride up to Boston, ending at the Marathon finish line. Is this do-able? I'm thinking more from a route point of view. I'm figuring 100 miles a day. Never did that much, but I'm guessing (hoping!) adrenaline and a lot of encouragement would get me there. The group could leave from Central Park and pick up riders along the way.

P.S. I'm guessing the logistics of this are a lot more involved than I imagine...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks246 View Post
    I think it would be a great gesture if a few hundred NYC-area bikers could ride up to Boston, ending at the Marathon finish line. Is this do-able? I'm thinking more from a route point of view. I'm figuring 100 miles a day. Never did that much, but I'm guessing (hoping!) adrenaline and a lot of encouragement would get me there. The group could leave from Central Park and pick up riders along the way.

P.S. I'm guessing the logistics of this are a lot more involved than I imagine...
    I've ridden from NYC to New Haven. It's not a particularly pleasant ride (high traffic suburbia), but it's plenty doable. From New Haven to Boston should be more pleasant until you get closer to Boston.

You can do 100 miles per day, but it will be a tough third day if you aren't used to riding centuries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks246 View Post

Really great idea. Not sure how to find the time, but really would like to do something like that. I would think you would head a little north first and then cut over to avoid the eavy traffic. Of course that would add to the climb factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I've done the opposite - Boston to NY/CT...part of the Tri-State Trek.

Check it out, the routes are up on sites like MapMyRide and RideWithGPS, you could probably plan out a good route.

Tri-State Trek - 270 Miles from Boston to New York

If you stay South near the Sound in Fairfield County you get a flatter route and some nice beach views, but a lot of urban trafficy crap as well. Aim north but prep for some elevation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My wife rode the Boston>New York AIDS Ride back in 1995. 260 miles over three days (100, 100, & 60). Despite the fact that six months prior she had never ridden a bike farther than around the block, she found the experience ultimately very do-able, and really loved training for that event. She's since turned into a monster of a roadie, but it's obviously within reach of even a neophyte.