Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Hunterdon/Tewksbury NJ - Still Hollow Rd Repaved

Road is a nice cut through to Rockaway Rd, which is probably one of the most popular roads in the area for cyclists.

Magically since I have been on it last week, road has been repaved beautifully. After this winter it was destroyed and I found myself bunny hopping over all the potholes. In fact I whacked one in my MTB making my water bottle fly out.

Loving the new surface. Just be aware of cars liking as well around those right angle turns.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Le...!4d-74.8156199

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    That figures. We climbed it last weekend for the Matheny ride before it was repaved. Bissell Rd was also recently repaved. Now they have to do Guinea Hollow.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Route 202 in Far Hills was paved from the RR tracks, almost to rt. 206 this week also. A popular route to Lamington Road and all points west, the traffic light intersection with Peakpack/Gladstone Rd/Main Street was a mess as well as the bridge by the fire house just a 100 feet down. Along with Main St. from Natirar to Pottersville road, it has been a good spring for upkeep so far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Out by me, they just repaved County 579 from Pittstown to Pattenburg-Little York Rd. I just hope they don't top it off with chip-seal like they've done on other county roads in Hunterdon.

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Now they have to do Guinea Hollow.
    Yes, it's not too bad going up due to the slow speed but the downhill side has some seriously-deep holes. A friend just told me yesterday that they're in the process of paving Hollowbrook Rd. I'd been avoiding any downhill runs on that too due to the crappy pavement.

Out by me, they just repaved County 579 from Pittstown to Pattenburg-Little York Rd.
    Yup, last week I had to make a in-ride route change to avoid the lines of cars & dust -- small price to pay for the major improvement on that road.
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    A friend just told me yesterday that they're in the process of paving Hollowbrook Rd. I'd been avoiding any downhill runs on that too due to the crappy pavement.:
    I just so happened to be in the vicinity of Hollowbrook this morning, and detected the unmistakable sweet aroma of freshly laid asphalt, so I went to check it out. Sure enough, totally repaved. So I shot this video on the way down - doesn't quite do justice to how smooth the road is due to the bright sunlight.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNg-...ature=youtu.be

p.s. We descended Hollowbrook last week on the Matheny ride, in the rain, on the crappy pavement. That was fun.
    Last edited by AlanE; 06-15-2016 at 10:46 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Decided to check out Still Hollow this morning. Beautiful paving job. Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AL969LD65g

Since I was in the vicinity, I decided to go down Philhower:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RMhHBwKocA

... and Mt. Grove - Hoffmans Crossing (also recently repaved):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GamQsXMhuA

RoadBikeReview Member
    Decided to check out Still Hollow this morning. Beautiful paving job.
    Isnt that one of the prettiest roads around? It almost feels like you are on some road in rural France at some points.

My daily ride became much nicer now. Although someone clipped loose rocks and on that first tight right, it got a little hairy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by robnj View Post
    Isnt that one of the prettiest roads around? It almost feels like you are on some road in rural France at some points..
    I've often thought about doing a cycling trip in France, but if you're telling me that France looks like New Jersey, I think I'll just stay at home. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=AlanE;5040367]I've often thought about doing a cycling trip in France, but if you're telling me that France looks like New Jersey, I think I'll just stay at home. ;)[/QUOTE

Not making a 1:1 comparison by any means.

Anyway I was on Rt 579 today and I dont think the paving is over. To me this is a basecoat, since all the driveway aprons that were redone and the storm drains are about 2" higher than the road. I think a top coat is coming.

And a portion of Rick Rd is torn up to dirt and gravel. This one looks like it will be this way for a while. Wasn't fun riding that.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Deer Hill off of Bissell has also been repaved! Amazing job they've been doing with the repaving.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    Deer Hill off of Bissell has also been repaved! Amazing job they've been doing with the repaving.
    That's great. Hopefully there's more to come. Such a great area for cycling, and so close to home.

It's about time they opened their wallet and fixed up their roads. After all, Tewksbury holds a unique status:
    - Tewksbury is the wealthiest township in Hunterdon County
    - Hunterdon County is the wealthiest county in New Jersey
    - New Jersey is the wealthiest state in the US
    - The US is the wealthiest country in the world.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Rode thru Tewks this morning. Saw signs that Califon-Cokesbury Road would be under construction this week, and Guinea Hollow next week. Hopefully they get the same quality resurfacing as the other roads.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hunterdon/Tewksbury NJ  - Still Hollow Rd Repaved-cokes.jpg   Hunterdon/Tewksbury NJ  - Still Hollow Rd Repaved-guinea.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    and from the township's website:

TEWKSBURY TOWNSHIP 2016 ROAD OVERLAY SCHEDULE (subject to change)
    Overlay work will be done on the following Township roads starting on or about July 5 through anticipated finish date of July 29.

Sutton Road
    Califon-Cokesbury Road
    Guinea Hollow Road
    Rockaway Road
    Welsh Road
    Hill and Dale Road
    McCann Mill Road

That last one (McCann Mill) is currently mostly a dirt road, so it will be interesting to see if they pave the dirt section as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thanks Allen, all good news. Although I like McCann Mill as a dirt road since it runs parallel to a good road. Want that area between Burnt Mills and Pottersville Rd. to stay as dirty as possible, our little Hell of Bedminster/Pottersville. Guinea Hollow is the worst, that will be a huge improvement going up or down. Still need upper Black River redone. When they say Overlay, hopefully they don't mean chip and seal.

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    and from the township's website:

TEWKSBURY TOWNSHIP 2016 ROAD OVERLAY SCHEDULE (subject to change)
    Overlay work will be done on the following Township roads starting on or about July 5 through anticipated finish date of July 29.

Sutton Road
    Califon-Cokesbury Road
    Guinea Hollow Road
    Rockaway Road
    Welsh Road
    Hill and Dale Road
    McCann Mill Road

That last one (McCann Mill) is currently mostly a dirt road, so it will be interesting to see if they pave the dirt section as well.
    Interesting, I recently rode on Sutton & Welsh & neither seemed very bad. Otoh, Farmersville was horrible. Would be nice to do that one instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee-an-key View Post
    When they say Overlay, hopefully they don't mean chip and seal.
    Maybe my imagination, but the chip-seal always seems to show up in the mid-to-late fall timeframe.
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    We rode down Guinea Hollow this morning. Beautifully repaved top to bottom. We were joking that it was more fun before when you had to be on your toes and maneuver around the potholes. The northern section of Cokesbury (from Mt. Grove) is done, as is Sutton. Looks like Rockaway has been prepared for paving in the next week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Guinea Hollow is amazing now. Road up it just to turn around and have a personal best on the way down without any effort. It's bike geek Christmas in those hills with all that new asphalt!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Rockaway Rd. is in the process of being repaved and I would expect it to be completed in another day or so. Even though there were barriers up this morning, I was able to get from Main St. Mountainville to Still Hollow on brand new pavement. Also, I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see that Mt. Grove Rd has also been repaved. So I was able to string together about 10 miles of nearly continuous new pavement, starting on River Rd south of Califon, then up Hoffmans Crossing, Mt. Grove, Cokesbury, Sutton, Guinea Hollow, Rockaway, Still Hollow, and Bissell. At the bottom of Bissell, that section of Rockaway had not yet been repaved. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15237652

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    The top of Rockaway may take a little longer since they were laying gas pipes also. Started at the top of the hill and were working down to the quarry last week. Not sure how far they are going with the project.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kudos to Tewksbury DPW (or whomever is their paving contractor) on a job very well done so far. Maybe they can give some lessons to Clinton Township on how to pave a smooth road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by robnj View Post
    Kudos to Tewksbury DPW (or whomever is their paving contractor) on a job very well done so far. Maybe they can give some lessons to Clinton Township on how to pave a smooth road.
    I stopped to chat with one of the guys from the township road crew the other day, complimenting them on the great job they were doing. He told me that the contractor is Tilcon. Tilcon New York -- Aggregates, Asphalt, Construction, Paving, Recycle He said that they gave the township a great deal on pricing, so it made sense to do all these roads now rather than spread out over several years.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Rockaway Rd was closed today from 513 to the quarry. They are laying gas line, one of the workers said they should be done in a week and then that section of road will repaved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hill and Dale paved all the way. Maybe it's an illusion, but it appears wider in most spots.
    All of this roadwork is turning this area into a hotspot for cycling now. Even more than before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I rode that section of Rockaway this morning. They appear to be done with the gas line work, but the road hasn't been repaved. In fact, it's now much worse, thanks to all the dents in the pavement from the construction equipment outriggers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast