RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

Millbrook Road Loop

I love that climb. Consistently steep. To bad it is only like a mile long but at an avg grade of 11.1% it is a challenge.
    65.1 mi loop. 4345' of climbing. Avg 16.7 which I'll happily take with some of the climbs on this ride. Saw a Bear and watched him a few minutes. They intrigue me.
    Saw a lot of cyclers around Millbrook but no one else was doing the climb while I was.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93174573

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Bear outside the town of Layton hanging in the field. Had a good view and watched several minutes,

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are my new hero!

I stumbled upon Millbrook last year accidentally and had no idea what I was getting into!
    I simply looked at a map. and plotted out a ride, I had zero idea how hilly it gets out by the water gap.

I took county road 624 past the YMCA and hiked up the closed road to the top of Flatbrookville Stillwater Rd. On my way back I hit Millbrook, I started up the hill and it kept going and going, I was not prepared for that and I folded like a cheap suit.

I went back last September with a friend and warned him about this hill, that hill handed him his ass. I did manage to do it without dabbing a foot but it almost killed me.
    I've done the ride in reverse which is a lot of fun too, you just have to hike the closed road.

Awesome loop you did, I am not ready for that yet.

I was in the area yesterday in Smartswood, Stillwater and Middleville.
    Don't forget to breathe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

millbrook rocks

I did 58 mi today out to Pine Island NY through Vernon. Climbed lake pochung road off Rt 565. Glenwood Mountain road is an awesome climb but I skipped it today. Just didn't have it in me after yesterdays ride. Hard to pass it by because it is another of my favorites. Maybe next weekend.
    I think anyone who has climbed Millbrook would agree it is a solid, respectable climb.

Ride today had it's issues.
    My headphones died today so no music, issues with my cable tension and shifting. garmin 500 was going nuts when I stopped to adjust the bike. kept doing auto on and off. watched the avg speed for that split just drop while I was stopped for several minutes. I set a custom auto on\off speed of 2.5 mph and it stopped.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/93435894
    Last edited by NJcycler; 06-19-2011 at 11:07 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I live 6 miles from the Gap on the Pa side. I rode from the kittiany visitors center to millbrook village and back but never did that loop. I am always looking for new people to ride with so if you ever want to ride it again send me a email.

My average is not as high though. I am working on it though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I have a 5 day weekend starting Thursday and hope to get out there and climb Millbrook again. the problem is all my loops start from my house. I hate to drive to cycle and prefer to just jump on the bike at home.
    Planing on a 250+ mile 5 day stretch.
    Most of the time I post my plans from my whitewater kayaking web site cycling forum. Considering this loop thur or fri and you are welcome to join. It would start early and start off river rd montague. loop will be just under 70. Includes climbs up Millbrook, sunrise and highpoint and all the other stuff in between. lots of climbing. Should be a MEGA Loop!
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/38948348/

http://njkayaker.com/MB2/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=6

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    I did Millbrook again but a little longer variation of it. This is my favorite loop now.
    66.2 miles @ 16.9/17.0 and over 4100' climbing. Millbrook road is such a sweet climb.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99512350

RoadBikeReview Member
    We did a smaller version yesterday, we went up Millbrook from Sillwater and came down the monster hill. I did hit 51.4 mph and that was very cool. And again, at the bottom we climbed up Flatbrookville.
    We did 41 miles and 2077 ft of elevation, not a bad day. Then drank beer and watched yesterdays TDF stage, which was awesome.
    Don't forget to breathe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Clyde, cycled with a buddy today. southern NY and High Point. 4390' climbing in 46 miles. that is like an avg of 1000' every 10 miles which for around these parts is way above average. It was a sweet climbing loop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99815243

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Are you guys using compact cranks or triples for those climbs? I struggle with 39x25 on lesser climbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Compact for me, I'm still in the heavyweight category, although it is dropping off now.
    Don't forget to breathe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NJcycler View Post
    Clyde, cycled with a buddy today. southern NY and High Point. 4390' climbing in 46 miles. that is like an avg of 1000' every 10 miles which for around these parts is way above average. It was a sweet climbing loop.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/99815243
    That is an insane ride that I will have to try sometime. I have to get my arse out to High Point, I have never cycled there. I'm right near Newton too so it is not too far from me.

I'm apprehensive about riding on 206 though, is it sketchy?
    Don't forget to breathe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    i have a compact 50/34 and the rear cassette is 11/28