merckxman
    Jan 2002

Stanton Mountain Road, Hunterdon County, NJ

Lo and behold...paving work being done this last week. Road closed to thru traffic so I didn't check out what's being done exactly. Whatever, has to be better!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pretty late in the year to pave, supposed to be really cold late this week. Maybe they are using up all the leftover pavement on this job. Which as you said is at least an improvement to what is there now.

merckxman
    Jan 2002
    Cycled by the bottom today, looked newly paved as far as I could see but didn't ride up.

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by merckxman View Post
    Cycled by the bottom today, looked newly paved as far as I could see but didn't ride up.
    Good news! AlanE let us know this was supposed to happen this year in this thread. When I last checked, they'd laid out a bunch of markers & were obviously prepping for work, but no paving had actually taken place. Can't wait to actually ride the road next spring - it's been a long time ...
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    I saw this post on Facebook yesterday by a resident on Stanton Mtn Rd.

"We've lived on the road for nearly 40 years now. It was government incompetence that got the road into the condition where it has to be totally removed and rebuilt. The top coat was never put down on most of the road and the catch basins were subsequently left at the wrong elevations. The township road crews have tired to maintain the road with cold patch over cold patch over cold patch. That being said, they have finally started reconstruction, but in November. At this point they have the trees cut down, the catch basins torn apart and maybe 15% of the first course of asphalt put down. I can't imagine that they will get too much more done before the weather turns. The remainder of the road Is even worse due to the constant heavy construction traffic. I feel bad for the school bus drivers and the snow plow guys. I hope that this time we get a good job when they finish next spring."

However, it has been my experience that once they start putting down new asphalt, they continue without interruption until they are finished. Otherwise, they have to de-mobilize and re-mobilize all of the expensive machinery, and it would be criminal to leave that road half-finished through the winter. So I'm optimistic that they will get the work done shortly.
    Last edited by AlanE; 1 Week Ago at 06:08 AM.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Clinton Township is the king of cold patch. I have said before, they could take a decent road and make it worse with their maintenance.
    Only problem I can see with fixing this road is the speeds will increase. Could make it pretty dangerous to ride on as vehicles come around the corners of that narrow road.
    Last edited by robnj; 1 Week Ago at 09:24 AM.

Sir Descends-a-lot
    you guys all live around the flemington area?
    1985 Trek 670
    2017 Trek Emonda SL6
    2016 Ritchey P29

Wandering
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by robnj View Post
    Only problem I can see with fixing this road is the speeds will increase. Could make it pretty dangerous to ride on as vehicles come around the corners of that narrow road.
    True but not really any different than some of our other goat-path roads like Still Hollow, Philhower or Longview. Thankfully/hopefully not a lot of reasons for through traffic on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by trekninja View Post
    you guys all live around the flemington area?
    I'm north of Flemington (closer to Mountainville) but periodically ride on all sides of Flemington (& sometimes though it on club rides) as well as other rural roads in western NJ & eastern PA.
    --
    All the best,
    Ron
    Central-Western NJ, USA

There's nothing in the middle of the road but yellow stripes and dead armadillos.
    --- James Allen Hightower

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lebanon here

Sir Descends-a-lot
    in im flemington myself but generally ride all the area. we are lucky to have nice roads out here
    1985 Trek 670
    2017 Trek Emonda SL6
    2016 Ritchey P29

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Perryville
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here: