Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    217

    Warning: Cops on Sage Road off of 9W

    As I was turning into Sage Road from 9W I saw an Englewood Cliffs cop sitting about 50 feet in on Sage Rd. I'm thinking he's waiting for any cyclist to run the red light. This is about 1/2 mile from where I saw another cop pull over a cyclist in Englewood Cliffs. I'm a resident here, and am seeing more ticketing here.

  2. #2
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,634
    Sounds like they need more revenue by enforcing the laws more.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Sounds like they need more revenue by enforcing the laws more.
    I doubt the town is doing this to get revenue. I think it's more to make sure the cyclists follow the traffic law as cycling has become more popular, and more cyclists are using the Englewood Cliffs' roads.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    41
    Fines from summonses go to the state. Trenton then distributes the revenue based on a formula. This prevents municipalities from profiting by issuing a lot of tickets. Keep in mind parking tickets, etc. stay with the municipality that issued them

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    103
    Well, yesterday I was riding up 9W and was dumb founded that I was getting pulled over by a cop in Englewood Cliffs. The cop lights were on and all. He pulled me over because I was not riding single file. I understand the concept of riding single file but it was a wide 2 lanes road in each direction. I was shocked that he pulled me over and was going to give me a ticket but let me off on a warning. He said signs are posted everywhere. Afterwards, we were looking for those signs and only found one on the way back to Fort Lee. This is probably gonna be my last time riding 9W.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkwan View Post
    Well, yesterday I was riding up 9W and was dumb founded that I was getting pulled over by a cop in Englewood Cliffs. The cop lights were on and all. He pulled me over because I was not riding single file. I understand the concept of riding single file but it was a wide 2 lanes road in each direction. I was shocked that he pulled me over and was going to give me a ticket but let me off on a warning. He said signs are posted everywhere. Afterwards, we were looking for those signs and only found one on the way back to Fort Lee. This is probably gonna be my last time riding 9W.
    That sucks! Don't let the cops dissuade from riding on 9W.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,216
    What are the alternatives to riding 9W going north to Piermont? I do an annual ride up that way but would like to do it more often. Not familiar with the area.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    What are the alternatives to riding 9W going north to Piermont? I do an annual ride up that way but would like to do it more often. Not familiar with the area.
    9W is your best bet. There are other local roads, but with traffic lights with very little room for road bikes, I wouldn't recommend it. Plus, elevation-wise, 9W is at the highest part of in the area, and if you choose the local roads you would have to go down quite a bit in elevation only to ride back up towards 9W to Piermont.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    What are the alternatives to riding 9W going north to Piermont? I do an annual ride up that way but would like to do it more often. Not familiar with the area.
    Left off GWB down the hill on the left you'll find what everyone refers to as River Road but is labeled on maps as Henry Hudson Drive.
    Lots of ups and downs and one last long climb to 9W in Alpine at Exit 2 of the Palisades Parkway. Less climbing if you go North to South.

    Very scenic. Light motor vehicle traffic. Some of the road is not in the best of shape. Some has recently been paved.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post
    I doubt the town is doing this to get revenue. I think it's more to make sure the cyclists follow the traffic law as cycling has become more popular, and more cyclists are using the Englewood Cliffs' roads.
    This! Why is it that whenever cyclists are the targets of ticketing that we say town is looking for revenue. What about the theory that they're doing for the safety of cyclists and the people who drive those roads?

    But I sorta understand the reasons for these kinds of cynical remarks.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    11,179
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    This! Why is it that whenever cyclists are the targets of ticketing that we say town is looking for revenue. What about the theory that they're doing for the safety of cyclists and the people who drive those roads?

    But I sorta understand the reasons for these kinds of cynical remarks.
    Because revenue is why tickets are issued whether for bikes, cars, parking etc.

    Random tax.

  12. #12
    Idiot at large
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,634
    Quote Originally Posted by rkdvsm View Post
    This! Why is it that whenever cyclists are the targets of ticketing that we say town is looking for revenue. What about the theory that they're doing for the safety of cyclists and the people who drive those roads?

    But I sorta understand the reasons for these kinds of cynical remarks.
    the only way people learn is to hit them where it hurts... their wallet
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Christine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,216
    What about the theory that they're doing for the safety of cyclists and the people who drive those roads?

    If that were the case, they'd be ticketing drivers, who do the most harm, and pedestrians who wander aimlessly in front of the bicyclists AND cars.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkwan View Post
    Well, yesterday I was riding up 9W and was dumb founded that I was getting pulled over by a cop in Englewood Cliffs. The cop lights were on and all. He pulled me over because I was not riding single file. I understand the concept of riding single file but it was a wide 2 lanes road in each direction. I was shocked that he pulled me over and was going to give me a ticket but let me off on a warning. He said signs are posted everywhere. Afterwards, we were looking for those signs and only found one on the way back to Fort Lee. This is probably gonna be my last time riding 9W.
    It takes two to tango. It's like a conspiracy - If you weren't riding single file, there had to be another cyclist involved. Were you singled out? Were you on the inside or outside? You could claim that you wer simply passing a slower moving rider and the cop just happened to see you in the act of passing.

    Or you can claim that you really weren't riding side-by-side, but were offset by a couple feet as it is inherently dangerous to ride directly behind another cyclist since your view of the road ahead would be obstructed. But from the cop's parallax view it may have appeared that you were riding side-by-side.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Warning:  Cops on Sage Road off of 9W-img_5108.jpg  
    Insert something clever here:

    Insert list of every bike I own here:

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    585
    Today there was a big electronic sign to ride single file. I think they (city) made it pretty clear that cyclists are not allowed to ride two abreast on 9W for the time being.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook