RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

any free triathalons in the tri valley area?

Looking for triathalons, either in spring or summer that I could look forward too.
    I found some that cost $150, but being 17 y/o I don't feel like paying a fee that costs half of the bike I will be using.

Any free/fun ones?

RoadBikeReview Member
    the only free event I'm aware of is the New Year's Duathlon by TBF in the Sacramento area.

however, I know that some race promoters will give you race credit if you volunteer (or get someone else to volunteer for you). I would suggest contacting various promoters and asking them about this. and don't be afraid to tell them you're a high school student.

you might also consider finding a triathlon club who would sponsor you.

good luck!

Lorri
    Lorri Lee Lown, founder + coach, Velo Girls
    Register now for our 2010 Bike Skills Clinics for women and men!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    cool, thanks, also looking for road races (or whatever, do they even have them?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    there are tons of road races in northern california. you'll find the 2008 road racing calendar here -- http://www.ncnca.org/road/

and road races are a lot cheaper -- most are about $25 and most all offer junior discounts.
    Lorri Lee Lown, founder + coach, Velo Girls
    Register now for our 2010 Bike Skills Clinics for women and men!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have done some work for a tri promoter. They have to charge a lot because their costs are high. Bike races just need to have course marshalls and safety people and such, but add to this a running race (with its own marshalls and such) and a swim (which adds in the need for a small fleet of boats to the marshalls and such).

Should it cost $150? That I can't say. But I would expect it to cost more than a bike race.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2007
    WoW that's expensive. Tri's around here (Ontario) are usually in the $60 range CAD! I'd never get into Tri'ing if it was $250 a race! that' rediculas!