Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultralord

Bike tickets today in Portola Valley for not riding single file

pass it on... The police are out in force in the Woodside area

---------
    FYI,

Three of us on Dave Stahl's ride this morning got tix somewhere near Windy Hill park for not riding in sigle file.
    At least 7 moto officers were having lunch at the Woodside Bakery around 12:30pm, so they probably missed the noon ride. That means they may be in hunting mode this evening (i.e. the Valley Ride)...

yukie
    ---------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    i can feel your pains. couple years back i got a ticket for " speeding ". well it's my fault since it's next to elementary school and i was going 25+ mph. my bad i paid $ 88.50

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm curious what they wrote you for? Riding side by side on motorcycles is OK, so as long as you weren't obstructing traffic I don't think there's a violation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As far as I know, there is no such law saying riding abreast is illegal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

mr. stahl

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    pass it on... The police are out in force in the Woodside area

---------
    FYI,

Three of us on Dave Stahl's ride this morning got tix somewhere near Windy Hill park for not riding in sigle file.
    At least 7 moto officers were having lunch at the Woodside Bakery around 12:30pm, so they probably missed the noon ride. That means they may be in hunting mode this evening (i.e. the Valley Ride)...

yukie
    ---------
    who is this dave stahl character you speak of. if hes on the board please have him contact me (ooooooooold friend) my name is dave cochell.
    thanks
    dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Since Woodside does not have a P.D. who wrote the tickets, CHP or Sheriff? curious...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I checked, the tickets are invalid - I would fight it in court. Maybe get a judge to spank those cops.

Do I have to ride single file?

There's no CVC section requiring bicycle riders to ride single file. However some people (including police officers) mistakenly interpret the requirement to keep as far to the right "as practicable" of CVC 21202(a) to require bicycles to ride single file. Under this interpretation, unless passing, turning, avoiding road debris, etc., the cyclist on the left is not as far right as practicable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    I got a ticket on Portola Valley Rd last Saturday for wearing headphones. The sheriff deputy said they were told no tolerance on any infraction.

No team-cest unless 8+!
    Maaaan. Woodside hates cops hate cyclists.
    I'm awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Definately fight these tickets. At a minimum, tell the judge you were passing / pulling through a paceline. Argue the validity at your own risk, but the passing is definately legal.(I agree with the non-validity, but you might lose your passing stance),

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    Since Woodside does not have a P.D. who wrote the tickets, CHP or Sheriff? curious...
    It would be the Sherriff, unless they contract with a different city's PD. It might be the CHP if it were on SR 84 or Skyline (SR 35).

Cat 6 rider
    Yup, fight the ticket. The law is clear. Bikes must ride as far to the right, 'as practicable.' If there's a cyclist to your right you can't move over any further. You don't have to be passing as there is no law that specifically says bikes must be in single file any more than there's a law saying motorcycles must. You must, however, pull over if you get more than five vehicles in a line behind you on a two lane road- applies to cars to.

There is a law that says bikes must stay in a bike lane if it's safe to be there, so if there was a bike lane and one cycle was out of it, then they've got you.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonala
    I got a ticket on Portola Valley Rd last Saturday for wearing headphones. The sheriff deputy said they were told no tolerance on any infraction.
    That is semi-pathetic but I've heard of that law before.

Any idea what's up with all the fuzz activity in this area?

but thinking about it
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33

There is a law that says bikes must stay in a bike lane if it's safe to be there, so if there was a bike lane and one cycle was out of it, then they've got you.
    While Woodside has some bike lanes (used as parking, of course), I can't think of any bike lanes in Portola Valley.

Roadie with unshaven legs
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout
    Any idea what's up with all the fuzz activity in this area?
    My guess is that, with the economy the way it is and all of the budget cuts throughout the state, the cops are being told to add revenue in any way possible. Guess how cops make revenue? I'm also going to guess that they view cyclists through their area as unwelcome visitors from other areas so they're not hurting their locals by ticketing cyclists. Also, since cycling isn't exactly a poor man's sport they probably feel that we can afford it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Undecided
    While Woodside has some bike lanes (used as parking, of course), I can't think of any bike lanes in Portola Valley.
    Bike lanes used for parking is a $300+ fine. Report it, and insist on the cops writing a ticket

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    My guess is that, with the economy the way it is and all of the budget cuts throughout the state, the cops are being told to add revenue in any way possible. Guess how cops make revenue? I'm also going to guess that they view cyclists through their area as unwelcome visitors from other areas so they're not hurting their locals by ticketing cyclists. Also, since cycling isn't exactly a poor man's sport they probably feel that we can afford it.
    Actually, I think the best thing to do in light of the current budget crisis it contact your representatives and tell them a great way to save money would be to get rid of some of the police. If they have time to write tickets for such trivial things we clearly have too many. Cut the staff by 3 cops and what's that, half a million a year in savings?
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would be interested in seeing what California Vehicle Code number the tickets where written against. Been a while since I got a ticket (knock on wood), but I seem to remember they have to describe the infraction and put a CVC code number on it. Anyone who has gotten one of these want to post the description and code as written?

I did some research into this a while back for an article for Cycle California - here's what I found. The bike lane and non-bike lane road rules for bikes are basically the same. We are supposed to ride in a bike lane when available and safe. When no bike lane, we are supposed to ride "as far right as practicable". In either case, if there is a reason to not be in the bike line, as or far right when no bike lane, we are allowed to be anywhere we need to be safe. This includes if there is dangerous dirt/rocks in the road, pot holes, bike line/right side is blocked (parked car, pedestrian, etc.), passing slower vehicles, etc. You are even allowed to be out in the road if the only safety issue is that you don't feel it is safe at that point for a car to pass you (this is called taking the lane).

Riding side by side (or in a pack, as some of these rides are), is a gray zone. Not expressly disallowed. But also not expressly allowed. You could argue that the right side is blocked by another cyclist (the person you are riding next to), though not sure if that would work. or you could argue that it was a place where the lane is not wide enough for a bike and a car, so you were riding side by side to take the lane.

Here is the specific CVC code (the code for bike lane has almost the exact same exceptions):
    21202. (a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
    (1) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
    (2) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    (3) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
    (4) When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
    (b) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway of a highway, which highway carries traffic in one direction only and has two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    www.singlespeed.org
    自転車が好きだよ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Squidward
    Its not the economy and revenue generations. The portola valley residents have been complaining for a long, long time about the cylcists and their bad habits in the area. It probably finally reached the right people for the nth time to direct more police action.

What needs to happend is that these higher ups need to hear enough complaints of the the harassing style of enforcement going on, I know that several advocacy groups are aware of the situation, and am curious to see what happens next.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Woodside has to deal with all three, Motorcycles, Car Racers and Cyclists. I'm sure they're just trying to crack down on all three to keep the area safe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryans
    Woodside has to deal with all three, Motorcycles, Car Racers and Cyclists. I'm sure they're just trying to crack down on all three to keep the area safe.
    Yup, keepin' it safe from all those lawless ipod-wearing cyclists. Great job Woodside, I feel safer already!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout
    Yup, keepin' it safe from all those lawless ipod-wearing cyclists. Great job Woodside, I feel safer already!
    I know it sucks! but when i'm in my car and I'm coming around a blind corner I honk once or twice and if the guy on the other side don't hear it... could be bad news.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    Actually, I think the best thing to do in light of the current budget crisis it contact your representatives and tell them a great way to save money would be to get rid of some of the police. If they have time to write tickets for such trivial things we clearly have too many. Cut the staff by 3 cops and what's that, half a million a year in savings?
    That may work for some places but not for Woodside and Portola Valley. Woodside doesn't have a police force, it's outsourced to the San Mateo County Sheriff. I know Woodside only spends about $1.1MM per year for this which is very little considering the geographic area they have to cover (needless to say, most of upper woodside is basically "lawless").

I'm pretty sure at any given time there are less than 3 sheriffs in Woodside. It just so happens that, like grrrah pointed out, people in the area are sick of the weekend group rides so they're stepping up enforcement.

Tickets for blowing stop signs is fair. But a ticket for riding 2-up is in the grey zone to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Just got my bail notice for wearing earphones $165!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    You can fight that as well, especially if you were wearing earbud type earphones that don't truly block out all outside sound. The law was written to prohibit wearing headphones/earphones that totally block out outside sound (such as safety earphones). Read the law and you'll see that it is all about that type of headphone and not music headphones.

RBR Veteran Opinionater
    Quote Originally Posted by jonala
    Just got my bail notice for wearing earphones $165!
    Are deaf people allowed to ride bikes? Can they drive cars?
    Escalate. Always escalate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast