Thread: Biking in Napa

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

Biking in Napa

Got roped into a trip to Napa for a week? (really St. Helena). Would it be worth it to rent a bike for a day or two? If so..........where to rent, and where to ride? Thanks.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Well, the classic ride is the Silverado Trail along the east side of the valley.

A couple of rides I like go out to the Pope Valley wine region on Howells Mountain Road via Angwin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Biking in Napa-pope-valley-2.jpg  

Bacon!
    It's worth it. Silverado Trail is rather flat but very scenic. Lots of cars and other riders but a decent shoulder. Avoid 29 on the west side of the valley. It sucks and just south of St. Helena it's got some serious construction going on. If you want climbing, then do Spring Mountain Road out of St. Helena (some traffic but not bad) where you can either turn around at the top or ride down the other side and back up. Pope Valley is another great ride as mentioned above. You can climb up on Howell Mtn Rd. off of Silverado Trail (just a little southeast of Deer Park Rd) and then head into Anguin on White Cottage Rd. If you want something longer (much longer), one of my favorite is Howell Mtn Rd to White Cottage Rd back to Howell Mtn Rd. Drop down into Pope Valley and then take Chiles Pope Valley Rd all the way to Lake Hennessee and 128 and then ride back on the Silverado Trail. That's a great ride with a mix of hills, rollers, and decent descents. There's longer rides that head out towards Middle Town and Lake Berryessa if you are interested or on the west side of the valley is Oakville Grade/Mt. Veder Rd if you want a little less dry scenery. Just PM me and I'll help with the routes.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    You can rent from St. Helena Cycles, right in downtown. I find Silverdo and 29 boring. What Ridgetop describes for routes is good. Ask at the bike shop too, they'll have suggestions.

-eric
    Don't mind me, it's just the online disinhibition effect typing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be throwing in shoes, pedals, and a helmet. Won't be making any points with the wife!
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Ok. I have to admit, it is pretty awesome here. Was at the Stagecoach Vineyards this morning, and we could see San Francisco.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Ok. I have to admit, it is pretty awesome here. Was at the Stagecoach Vineyards this morning, and we could see San Francisco.
    That 1.25 miles past the fire station is quite a grind, isn't it? But what a reward up top!

If you have time, try the Berryessa Loop, or Veeder / Dry Creek, before things heat up this weekend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I cheated, I was in a car. Thinking "holy crap, this would be brutal!".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Ah, right: "skinew" is really take the civilized lift and "ski new" mexico. I've 'splained to my cycling buddies several times that we could probably convince one of our wives to drive us and our bicycles to the top of Soda Canyon, but they resist the suggestion.

Hope you enjoyed your visit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Sadly, I was in a car both ways.

w-g
    Will rep for beer
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be throwing in shoes, pedals, and a helmet. Won't be making any points with the wife!
    If she accepts that you are a rider, should be no problem. We spent a week in Calistoga for our 10th anniversary and I brought my MTB to the B&B. A couple morning rides up Oathill while she spa'd. Meet back at B&B, go to lunch, then wine tasting. Great way to spend the time up there.
    “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.” Inigo Montoya

Not Banned
    If I am coming down Oakville grade but want to head south is Veeder or Dry Creek a better choice?
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by atpjunkie View Post
    If I am coming down Oakville grade but want to head south is Veeder or Dry Creek a better choice?
    I know Dry Creek is a pretty easy going ride. Mt Veeder, if I remember correctly, is a more narrow ride with a few more hills.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    You would take Veeder or Dry Creek to get to the top of the Oakville Grade (assuming you didn't start in Sonoma Valley), not the other way around. If you're heading south after descending Oakville (which drops you down to 29), you can go slightly north to the Oakville Cross road, then over to Silverado Trail, then south. Or you can get south on 29 about a mile, then take Yount Mill Road into beautiful Yountville, and then either over to Silverado, or over to Solano Ave, which is a frontage to 29.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    You would take Veeder or Dry Creek to get to the top of the Oakville Grade (assuming you didn't start in Sonoma Valley), not the other way around. If you're heading south after descending Oakville (which drops you down to 29), you can go slightly north to the Oakville Cross road, then over to Silverado Trail, then south. Or you can get south on 29 about a mile, then take Yount Mill Road into beautiful Yountville, and then either over to Silverado, or over to Solano Ave, which is a frontage to 29.
    I'll be looping from Sonoma Valley. Cavedale to Trinity. Was thinking Veeder back down toward Sonoma Hwy 12 (now Carneros Hwy)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Veeder is a lot of up before it goes down again. (Okay, Cavedale/Trinity is a real lot of up and down.) Dry Creek is mostly down, with just a few bits of climbing. So it depends on how much climbing you want to do after Cavedale. Both Veeder and Dry Creek drop you into the same approximate location to get back to Sonoma via the Carneros. Enjoy.

Not Banned
    thx. I'll let my legs tell me which way when I get there. Appreciate the insight