Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ultralord

John Eric Peckham of Alto Velo killed on Old Page Mill

This is what we know so far.
    -------
    All,

Today marks a very sad day as one of our Alto Velo club members was killed by someone allegedly under the influence of drugs/alcohol. As soon as I have more details, I will notify the list.

Regretfully yours,
    Brian Peterson

On 9/8/06, jpauley611 < jpauley611@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Just before the noon ride today, it appears that a cyclist was hit and
    killed by a drunk driver. As we rode up OPM, we were stopped about 3/4
    the way up by a Labor Power rider (I think it was Chris) that would not
    let us pass. He appeared to be in shock by what he saw and made us
    turn around. The police, ambulance and fire showed up within minutes.
    I do not know who the rider was as I left as soon as I could knowing
    that I would just be in the way.

I said a few prayers for the cyclist and his/her family as I rode
    home. I just wanted everyone to know that this happened and if you
    hear any details in the coming days, please share with the group. I
    would like to be able to donate to a fund or a cause if the cyclist or
    family have one.

Be safe out there!
    John

--------------

Possible drunk driver.

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=3594

ultralord

John Peckham

----------
    Posted on Fri, Sep. 08, 2006
    Mt. View bicyclist killed in possible DUI crash in Los Altos Hills
    By Becky Bartindale
    Mercury News

John Peckham, 31, of Mountain View died Friday after being struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle in Los Altos Hills, according to the Santa Clara County Coroner. The driver was later arrested on suspicion of felony mansalughter and driving under the influence.

The driver's name has not been released.

A call about the collision came into the California Highway Patrol at 12:17 p.m. It took place on Old Page Mill Road, about a quarter mile from Page Mill Road.

When officers arrived, they found the vehicle about 50 feet down an embankment. The cyclist was taken to Stanford University Hospital and later was reported to have died, said CHP officer Marc Johnston.

Mercury News staff writer Sandra Gonzales contributed to this report. Get the latest on this and other traffic situations with our real-time road reports at http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ransportation/

------------
    Bicyclist killed in possible DUI crash in Los Altos Hills
    By Becky Bartindale
    Mercury News

A bicyclist was struck and killed just after noon today and the driver is now being investigated for driving under the influence, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

The CHP received a call at 12:17 p.m. about a collision involving a bicyclist and a vehicle on Old Page Mill Road in Los Altos Hills, a quarter mile from Page Mill Road.

When officers arrived, they found the vehicle about 50 feet down an embankment. The cyclist was taken to Stanford University Hospital but later was reported to have died, said CHP officer Marc Johnston.

The identities of the bicyclist and the driver have not been released.

-------------
    UPDATE: CYCLIST KILLED IN LOS ALTOS HILLS CRASH
    09/08/06 4:25 PDT
    cbs5.com

LOS ALTOS HILLS (BCN)

A suspected drunken driver struck and killed a bicyclist in Los Altos Hills today, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The collision took place on Old Page Mill Road, a quarter-mile from Page Mill Road, at 12:17 p.m.

The driver of the vehicle has been arrested on suspicion of felony manslaughter and driving under the influence, according to the CHP.

The CHP reported that the vehicle involved was 50 feet down an embankment upon officers' arrival, but it has since been removed. The collision remained under investigation this afternoon.

--------------

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Man, how dangerous is it out there? I'm saving up for my first road bike but all these articles really make me wonder whether the enjoyment of it warrants these risks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    How dangerous is it? According to the NHTSA, 33,134 car drivers or passengers died in the US in 2004. 4008 motorcyclists. 4641 peds, and 725 "pedalcyclists".

Nothing is perfectly safe. Even if you didn't move from the couch you could get clobbered by a metorite. If I pay attention and ride reasonably cautiously I think the reward I get from riding outweighs the risk. But that's a decision that everyone needs to make for themselves.

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Thanks for that eric. I'm mainly a lurker, gaining information from this site and just have become knowledgable about these accidents. I'm sure that I'll come to the decision that the risk is worth it, it's just a bit hard reading about these innocent people killed by idiots.

Thanks again for replying.

Riding towards Delmarva.
    "Man, how dangerous is it out there? I'm saving up for my first road bike but all these articles really make me wonder whether the enjoyment of it warrants these risks."

Your best defense is a mirror. I won't ride without my Take-a-Look sunglasses mirror. Most of the greybeards wear one for a reason.
    "Anyone can ride fast downhill."
    me

*puff*
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    ----------
    Posted on Fri, Sep. 08, 2006
    Mt. View bicyclist killed in possible DUI crash in Los Altos Hills
    By Becky Bartindale
    Mercury News

John Peckham, 31, of Mountain View died Friday after being struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle in Los Altos Hills, according to the Santa Clara County Coroner. The driver was later arrested on suspicion of felony mansalughter and driving under the influence.

The driver's name has not been released.

A call about the collision came into the California Highway Patrol at 12:17 p.m. It took place on Old Page Mill Road, about a quarter mile from Page Mill Road.

When officers arrived, they found the vehicle about 50 feet down an embankment. The cyclist was taken to Stanford University Hospital and later was reported to have died, said CHP officer Marc Johnston.

Mercury News staff writer Sandra Gonzales contributed to this report. Get the latest on this and other traffic situations with our real-time road reports at http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...ransportation/

------------
    Bicyclist killed in possible DUI crash in Los Altos Hills
    By Becky Bartindale
    Mercury News

A bicyclist was struck and killed just after noon today and the driver is now being investigated for driving under the influence, a California Highway Patrol spokesman said.

The CHP received a call at 12:17 p.m. about a collision involving a bicyclist and a vehicle on Old Page Mill Road in Los Altos Hills, a quarter mile from Page Mill Road.

When officers arrived, they found the vehicle about 50 feet down an embankment. The cyclist was taken to Stanford University Hospital but later was reported to have died, said CHP officer Marc Johnston.

The identities of the bicyclist and the driver have not been released.

-------------
    UPDATE: CYCLIST KILLED IN LOS ALTOS HILLS CRASH
    09/08/06 4:25 PDT
    cbs5.com

LOS ALTOS HILLS (BCN)

A suspected drunken driver struck and killed a bicyclist in Los Altos Hills today, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The collision took place on Old Page Mill Road, a quarter-mile from Page Mill Road, at 12:17 p.m.

The driver of the vehicle has been arrested on suspicion of felony manslaughter and driving under the influence, according to the CHP.

The CHP reported that the vehicle involved was 50 feet down an embankment upon officers' arrival, but it has since been removed. The collision remained under investigation this afternoon.

--------------
    that is just surreal, i was literally out there on the same road not more then maybe a 30 minute window.

prayers and wishes go out to his family and friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, John was a super racer. He tore it up last season going from a cat 5 to a 3 in less then 1 season. That sucks big time.
    Bikes:
    Cyclocross bike '06 Lemond Poprad
    Road racing bike '06 Trek 5.2

johnny99
    Apr 2004

CHP: Driver fled scene of fatal bicycle crash

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/s...ry.php?id=3597

CHP: Driver fled scene of fatal bicycle crash

A suspected drunken driver fled the scene of a fatal head-on crash with a bicyclist Friday but ran off the road in Los Altos Hills, according to the California Highway Patrol, which has provided new details of the crash.

The collision took place on Old Page Mill Road, a quarter-mile from Page Mill Road, shortly before noon. The name of the cyclist is being withheld.

CHP Officer Demarcus Lack said the driver of the car, Chevelle Bailey, 41, of Fremont, was driving east on Old Page Mill Road north of Page Mill Road when "due to his level of intoxication'' he crossed into the westbound lane and struck the cyclist head on.

He said Bailey fled the scene in his Oldsmobile, Lack said, but then crashed the car again. Officers said the car was about 50 down an embankment when officers arrived.

Bailey was arrested and booked into Santa Clara County Main Jail in San Jose on charges of manslaughter with gross negligence, driving under the influence causing an injury, fleeing the scene of an injury collision and being under the influence of a controlled substance, Lack reported.

The Santa Clara County Medical Examiner/Coroner's office said no information on the cyclist is being released at this time.

Anyone with information about the collision is asked to call Officer Lack at (650) 369-6261.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter
    Man, how dangerous is it out there? I'm saving up for my first road bike but all these articles really make me wonder whether the enjoyment of it warrants these risks.
    I have found myself being more paranoid, than enjoying. All the deaths, 2 people hit on one of our group rides. a close call with a semi for me. The last time I was riding alone out on the rural roads (marsh creek, deer valley) I heard a big rig coming, no shoulder, just a white line.. I bailed. got off my bike. I knew it then, my own paranoia is going to cause me harm.

I have a 3 year old, a wife, and love riding bikes. and a new Santa Cruz mountain bike. no cars, drunk drivers etc. I also have 20+ miles of lighbtly used paved bikepath for my road bike, and 3 huge parks with 100's of miles of mountainbike trails minutes from where I live.

I only rural/road ride with a group now. my road riding during the week is pounding the bike path, getting in shape to fuel my mountain biking.

The risk vs. reward for riding marsh creek etc. is not there for me anymore.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Although it wouldn't help in these cases, you really need to have your head on a swivel when you're riding.

Another scary incident in Redding....

http://www.redding.com/redd/nw_local...977584,00.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I love how passing motorists yelled at the downed riders to get out of the road...

ultralord
    Video broadcast is available here: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...cal&id=4547670

Cyclists On Edge After Fatal Hit-And-Run
    31-Year-Old John Peckham Run Down
    KGO By Carolyn Johnson

Sept. 10 - KGO - In the wake of a deadly bike accident Friday in the Los Altos Hills, cyclists in the area are concerned about their own safety and now some are demanding changes on the road.
    Related Links

The sound of a vehicles coming up from behind them is adding a little more anxiety today. Cyclists in Los Altos Hills are missing a fellow rider this morning, one day after a tragic hit and run fatality.

There wasn't much left of 31-year old John Peckham's bike after he was run down on Old Page Mill Road; a bicycle seat, a crank, and a twisted wheel. Peckham died at Stanford Hospital and police arrested 41-year-old Chevelle Bailey on hit-and-run charges.

Now some bikers are demanding flashing lights or lower speed limits to protect them.

Brian Buchholz, Victim's Teammate: " I don't think it'll change anything. I just think it's just important to be aware whether you're riding a bicycle or driving a car, just to be aware of other people out there."

Other cyclists don't think safety modifications would have prevented Peckman's tragedy because Bailey is suspected of being under the influence. But they say sharing the road with cars is becoming increasingly dangerous.

Rick Huff, Belmont: "It's a situation where the cars have to take responsibility as well."

Cheryl Acheson, Los Altos Hills: "Just hope people can be aware of how vulnerable cyclists are on the road when there's a huge car next to us."

Peckham's teammates say he was an excellent sprinter who raced on one of the country's premier amateur cycling teams. The Mountain View cyclist had just started riding again after recovering from a previous injury.

The CHP is still looking for people who may have seen what happened Friday. If you know anything -- investigators would like you to give them a call.

The view is the reward
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    Here's a still image of what remained (cranks/bracket, a wheel and a seat) of the bike taken fromi the same video. Clearly, it was quite a collision.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    steephill.tv bike travelogue

cycle_cycho
    Nov 2005
    holy sh#$! where that makes my stomach cringe more than any horror movie or body i have come across during my time in somolia. damn. My deepest sympothies goes out to those who were riding with him at the time, and his family.

smw
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steephill
    Here's a still image of what remained (cranks/bracket, a wheel and a seat) of the bike taken fromi the same video. Clearly, it was quite a collision.

Oh my, thats a horrible site. My condolances to his family and friends.

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... ...

ultralord
    Quote Originally Posted by steephill
    The cranks/bb were separated from the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of impact does it take to do that?

This happened a few minutes before the noon ride along it's starting path. A friend at that Noon ride said a rider (from team Labor Power) who saw the carnage blocked their path and refused to let the group go through Old Page Mill road. He demanded the group turn around and go through Page Mill instead.

Anyway, I think the Labor Power rider was so disturbed by the scene he did not want anybody else to see it and be scarred by it. My hats off to him.

francois

ultralord
    Here's a photo John P at the Cat's Hill Crit. He's either crushing the Cat 3 field or the Pro 1/2 field. It was hard to keep track as he was moving up the Cat ladder so fast.

He's been an mtbr member since 2004 (but no posts). His profile is here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=252681

francois
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails John Eric Peckham of Alto Velo killed on Old Page Mill-untitled-1.jpg  
    Last edited by francois; 09-11-2006 at 01:41 PM.

Bike Addict
    Whenever I read about a fellow cyclist getting killed by a car I always feel upset. But what are you going to do stop riding?? I'm married with 2 kids and often think about the risk as some a$$hole drives to close to me. But, this is what I love doing, and I hope it never happens, but at least I would go down doing what I loved.
    In this case it sounds like the driver was drunk in the middle of the day and you could have been killed walking or running on the side of the road. I hope he get we deserves in prison!
    Ride to eat, eat to ride.

ultralord
    Mercury news guestbook is here:
    http://www.legacy.com/mercurynews/GB...sonId=19158109

This was posted on topix.net
    ----------
    charlotte walker
    Bakersfield, CA
    Sept. 10

Hello,

I am the sister of Chevelle Bailey. I do not have any other way to express my sympathy for the family of Mr. John Peckham, and I hope that this form is acceptable, and that this message reaches the Peckham family. This news comes as a devastating reality of Chevelle's deteoriating mental condition, I am so very devastated at the news of hearing about the tragedy Chevelle has caused. I have prayed for Mr.Peckham's family. I do not think anything I will say at this point can be of any comfort for The Peckham family and friends, but I must say what is on my heart, and that is "I am sorry", for their loss. I have never met Mr. John Peckham, but I can say that he will be remembered by me as long as I live. I love my brother very much, but what he has done irreparable.
    --------------
    http://www.topix.net/forum/city/los-...KM3NCT4DHQUBTB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRex
    Your best defense is a mirror.
    Wrong

Most cylist/motorist collisions occur when the vehicle turns in front of the cyclist.

That's a statistical fact.

What good is a mirror going to do?

This was a head on.

What good would a mirror have done?

I use a mirror. Its primary funcion it to let me know when it's safe to enter a lane to turn. I still do a head turn to double check anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member

Misleading statistics...

Quote Originally Posted by ericm979
    How dangerous is it? According to the NHTSA, 33,134 car drivers or passengers died in the US in 2004. 4008 motorcyclists. 4641 peds, and 725 "pedalcyclists".
    Your chances of getting killed while riding a bicycle are much greater than when driving in a car.

If the statistic were broken down into percentages you would see a different picture. Check it out.

Tim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoWheelinTim
    Your chances of getting killed while riding a bicycle are much greater than when driving in a car.

If the statistic were broken down into percentages you would see a different picture. Check it out.

Tim
    Why don't you guys take your petty argument to another thread. It looks really tacky here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wipeout
    Why don't you guys take your petty argument to another thread. It looks really tacky here.

You're right, I apologize.
    Last edited by TwoWheelinTim; 09-11-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast