So. Calif.

Training rides near Belmont ?

I'm going to be in the mid-peninsula next weekend, specifically Belmont.

Was looking for suggestions on training rides; group rides would be great, but I'm prepared to go solo.

I'm somewhat familiar with the roads, as I periodically drive up from SoCal, but this will be first time I'm bringing bike.

By "training" ride I mean,
    - 50-70 miles
    - 3000-5000 ft climbing
    would be OK.

Rides up into the adjacent Sta Cruz Mtns, or across to the Pacific Ocean, seem good.

I'm a 61 yo, decent competitive racer ... but I would not be able to hang with a pack of 35 yo, cat2 riders, hammering on a 7% climb ;-)

Sep 2007
    I don't know about weekend group rides but you have some fabulous route options:
    1. Canada Rd, Woodside, up Old La Honda east, down Old La Honda West, down Highway 84, Pescadero Road, up Alpine Road, down Page Mill, Portola Valley, Woodside, Canada Road
    2. Canada Rd, Woodside, up Kings Mountain, south on Skyline, down Highway 84, north on Stage Road, Highway 1, up Tunitas Creek, down Kings Mountain, Woodside, Canada Road

or some other variation on this theme. Have fun!
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

So. Calif.
    Thanks, sounds great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Penvelo group rides: Peninsula Velo » Rides

A nice variant on ukbloke's route is Canada, up either King's or Old La Honda, down 84 to Pescadero Road (left turn after La Honda "town") Right on Stage, either straight up Tunitas, or keep going to Higgins-Purisima Road, loop back to Tunitas, then down Kings. Map it out as it might be on the high side for climbing...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Lots of great rides out of Belmont. I live in Redwood Shores, right next to Belmont.

If you want to sample some of the great climbing around here, try this route - I put it together for one of the Strava climbing challenges a few years ago.

Here's a 72 mile, 5000' ride that gets you some of the coastline (and the new Devil's Slide tunnel).

But you can't really go wrong with either of the rides ukbloke or look566 recommended - beautiful climbs...