Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Opal

Pathlete and Pedalphile

2008 Opal

I have enough parts to build up another bike and have been looking at frames. There are a few 2008 Opals on Ebay in the $800.00 range. Looks intriguing but not sure that I want to spend $800.00 on a four year old frame (even though they are new).

Wondering what some of you think?

Hanging 10 bra
    I have seen a few complete Opals such as mine 2010 for around 1500-2500 complete. SO with that said, try to find a frame just a tad cheaper, esp around that age.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzj View Post
    I have seen a few complete Opals such as mine 2010 for around 1500-2500 complete. SO with that said, try to find a frame just a tad cheaper, esp around that age.
    Yeah, maybe in the $600.00 range. By the way, how do you like your Opal? Ride report?

Thanks

Hanging 10 bra
    Well I went from a 61cm Felt with Ultegra/Dura Ace and Easton EA wheels, to the 2010 57cm Opal full Ultegra and Mavic wheels and I love it. I added the carbon stem and bars to top it off. I truly believe that I have gained over 5 mph or more over the other bike and its half the weight too. I have since dropped the bars down even more to get me more areo and lower, esp since I am 6'3. I have just been added to the BPC race team, so plan on some nice carbon reynolds wheels to finish it off for next season.
    I am actually planing on building/buying another Opal strictly for racing and one for training/riding.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Sweet bike! I understand the Opal has a really stiff frame, good race geometry. I'm currently riding a 51cm Neuvation FC100. I'm 5'-7". Looking at a 48cm Opal. I think it will make a great trainer. The Neuvation is a great all around bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    I bought a brand new, unused, never built 2009 Opal frame/fork/headset in January 2010 for $825. Can't say I particularly like the bike. Its too twitchy, not stable. Built up fairly light, 1050 grams for the 57cm or so size. Looks good. But does not handle well.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellS View Post
    I bought a brand new, unused, never built 2009 Opal frame/fork/headset in January 2010 for $825. Can't say I particularly like the bike. Its too twitchy, not stable. Built up fairly light, 1050 grams for the 57cm or so size. Looks good. But does not handle well.
    What are you using the bike for (commuting, touring)? I'm actually looking for a twitchier race oriented frame.

Does the Opal use a 31.8 or 34.9 clamp on FD?

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Well, ordered the '08 Opal. Still trying to find out what size FD clamp it uses though. My spare is a 31.8 which means it probably uses an 34.9

Hanging 10 bra
    The front clamp uses the 31.8 on most of the Opals that I know of, so you should be fine.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    The front clamp uses the 31.8 on most of the Opals that I know of, so you should be fine.
    Thanks for the info, looks like I can save a little money.

Hanging 10 bra
    Thro up some pics of it when you get it! I might have some spare parts too, if you are needing something...

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Thro up some pics of it when you get it! I might have some spare parts too, if you are needing something...
    Yeah, I sure will. Hopefully have the frame this week. I think I have all the parts that I need, I'll let you know if I'm missing something. I appreciate the offer.

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Frame came in, going to start the build today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2008 Opal-sscn0151.jpg  

Just Ride!!!!!
    How's the build going? I have over 4k miles on my 08 Opal. It's a stiff bike.

Nevermind the question, just saw your build thread. Nice!

Last edited by mecam; 12-03-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Just saw your build thread

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by mecam View Post
    How's the build going? I have over 4k miles on my 08 Opal. It's a stiff bike.

Nevermind the question, just saw your build thread. Nice!

Nice looking bike. Now I know what blue tape and saddle look like, thought about going that route. I've got close to 2000 miles on mine already. Love the bike. Glad I went with the 48. Really like the small frame.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by redondoaveb View Post
    Nice looking bike. Now I know what blue tape and saddle look like, thought about going that route. I've got close to 2000 miles on mine already. Love the bike. Glad I went with the 48. Really like the small frame.
    Yeah, just recently switched to a white Fizik bar tape and white Mich Pro3 tires. Got tired of too much blue. lol

Hanging 10 bra
    Yeah I think Black is a good way to go on seat and tape, as it doesnt show wear as much. I added the reynolds wheels and Pro3 tires too for next upcoming race season. However, I just installed some gators tires to keep the winter road trash from flatting me out more lol.

Just Ride!!!!!
    Yeah I think Black is a good way to go on seat and tape, as it doesnt show wear as much. I added the reynolds wheels and Pro3 tires too for next upcoming race season. However, I just installed some gators tires to keep the winter road trash from flatting me out more lol.
    Nice, yeah I need winter tires too. Those Pro3s are delicate.

-

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    I really liked my Michelin Pro 3's until I started seeing all the cuts and punctures I was getting. Changed to Vredestein Tri Comps with latex tubes. What a difference. Have to run a higher pressure on the Vred's but the ride is nice. Over 1000 miles on them now and not one cut and just one small puncture (didn't penetrate the tire). Don't notice any handling differences between the two. My tire of choice right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    All,

I'm new to the forums so I could not start a new thread, so I apologize for the hijack. I'm going to look at 2008 Opal on Sunday, This bike is a 57cm with SRAM and Richey Protocol Rims.

My biggest concern is that this might be too big for me at 5'10" with a 32" inseam (185 lbs hoping to lose some of that). After some research it seems that many others have preferred the 54cm frame with a longer stem, I assume for a more aggressive/aero position. At 50 years old I'm not interested in racing, just recreational riding. I do have occasional lower back pain so I'm thinking a less aggressive riding position would be better.

A lot has changed since I was last on a road bike so I don't really have anything recent to compare my experience to. I am planning on having whatever bike I eventually buy professionally fit.

So any advice pre-visit that other Orbea riders can provide would be great. I know they are awesome bikes so I'm not too worried about that; just some hints on what to look for, especially regarding sizing would be appreciated. BTW I believe this bike has 172.5 cranks.

Thanks,
    Lou

Hanging 10 bra
    I think with a professional fitting, you might be able to make the bike work fine. However, you might need to purchase a few items to assist, such as different length stem. I have a 34" inseam and 6'3 and ride a 57cm. Its a tad smaller than my other bikes but gives me the aero and aggressive stance I need to race. So, in your position, I believe the 57cm could be made to fit you good. The main thing to look for is when you stand over the bike.....do you have any room from the top tube from your boyz?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I actually stood over a 57 (Orca) and a 54 (Opal) and there wasn't a whole lot of room on the 57. The 54 seemed to be a better fit at least in terms of the standover test. The guy with the 57 sold the bike, so it's probably better anyway.

I'm going to start looking for something in the 54 to 55 range. Do you know if Orbea made the Orcas in 55 or 56cm? I'm looking for something in the used market.

Lou

Hanging 10 bra
    Well the newer Orcas 2011 and up, come in 53 and 55cm sizes. While you can still find some of the older style Orcas in 54cm used around.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

Deal on Opal

From what y'all are saying I jus got a killer deal on the Opal I just scored off eBay. 2008 Frame & fork for $470 including shipping. I guess I'll see if it's really brand new in box Thursday. Cant wait to get this thing built up and ride.
    Last edited by tyler71385; 05-01-2012 at 02:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast