RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Good or Bad ... 2009 Orbea Orca

Hello to all,

My LBS is selling me on a new 2008 Orca with Dura Ace for $3200 ... is that a good deal??

Good bad and ugly about the 2008 Orca? I've looked for reviews and write-ups, but don't find much on the 2008 models.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks
    Semper Fi :)
    Jar-Head Joe

Batteries not required
    2007 and 2008 Orca framesets are the same. There are plenty of reviews on this site for you to check out. The 2009 is "lighter, stiffer, faster" according to Orbea. There is plenty of info on the Orbea website on the differences between the '09 and previous models.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I ride a 2008 Orca and my wife is on an 09 Orca. My 2008 is great, I love it. I weigh about 160LBs and am a avid rider but do not race anymore. It is plenty stiff for me and handles like a dream! My wife loves her 09 as well. She has the black one which does look REALLY cool and the carbon head badge is a nice touch as well. To be honest though for all but the most hard core pro's I believe the 2008 delivers plenty of performance. Then it just boils down to look's

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    what wheelset? what additional hardware? is it stock orbea? zeus stem/bars/post, selle saddle? is it something they put together to ship off quickly? if its got crap parts on it, stuff you'll have to upgrade anyway, then no, its not worth it. if its got minimum zeus components and better than reynolds solitude wheels, then yes, its completely worth it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    The components are Dura Ace, Wheels are Mavic Kyrsium , I think the only Zeus parts are the stem and the bars.
    Jar-Head Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Do it. a 2009 set up like that will cost you 5500 minimum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks ... I appreciate everyone's feed back. Going to get it.
    Jar-Head Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    what what, what color is it?! actually that wouldn't even matter, 3200 is awesome, enjoy it. i have an 09, but i would have taken that deal in a heartbeat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah the only reason I'm getting this price is because the LBS dropped the ball on a Colnago and now he won't do business with them. It's been a long time since I ordered the Colnago so he's trying to make up for it.

I liked / ordered the Orange.
    Jar-Head Joe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by g8keyper
    Yeah the only reason I'm getting this price is because the LBS dropped the ball on a Colnago and now he won't do business with them. It's been a long time since I ordered the Colnago so he's trying to make up for it.

I liked / ordered the Orange.
    Having just purchased an 08 Orca in August (white) with Mavic K Elites and Ultegra, I can tell you that is a great deal, and I got a *pretty good* deal on mine. Although, it took me about five minutes to realize that I hated the Ks. Since have upgraded to Reynolds 32MVs, which makes the total deal feel less than stellar. I have to say, I like the Ultegra group, but I'm not a hyper weight weenie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Before xmas I ordered an 08 Orca with 7800 DA and Mavic SL, Zues Cat 2 stem and Cat 3 seat post (since stripped out and replaced with a Ritchey Carbon) for a little more than that, then Orbea shipped an 09 frame by mistake (too bad for me right?). I love mine. I would say you are looking at a great deal.
    Last edited by Tort; 02-11-2009 at 08:09 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Retracting my old post in this necro'd thread - stupidity at its finest.
    Last edited by WhyRun; 05-28-2010 at 09:28 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    No I haven't posted pics yet, I am pic posting challenged (hangs head in shame). I forgot to mention I swapped out a white Selle Italia Gel Flow for a White Fisik Aliante braided carbon rail saddle. I am also using white bar tape for that extra special pimped out look. My LBS is trying to get me to put some white Michelin Pro 3's on for effect.

I was able to get the DA 7800 groupo with the Mavik SL wheels for $2000, so I went for that instead of the Ultegra SL. The frameset came with a FSK SL-K Pro crankset. I added 2 Forte carbon H2O cages to keep with the carbon theme. The Orca is a head turner for sure, the interesting angles and shapes of the frame are eye catching.

OK I got some pics up. I will work on getting some better ones though with updated seat and cages.
    Last edited by Tort; 02-11-2009 at 08:51 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Bunn V - How can you tell the diff from a 2007 Orbea Orca versus a 2008 Orbea Orca. Meaning, it looks like the 07 and 08 both have the same frame as in the white with the carbon? Is there a stamp imprint on the bottom of the bottom bracket area? Thanks
    2003 Airborne Valkyrie Titanium with Campy Centaur
    2008 Specialized Roubaix SL S-Works Ultegra SL (For Sale)
    2009 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp HT
    2010 Bianchi Infinito Ultegra.HED Flanders
    2013 Roubaix Pro SL4 Ultegra HED Ardenne's CL

Batteries not required
    You are right, the '07 and '08 look identical. The last two digits of my serial number are 0 7.
    That could mean it's a 2007 or it could be a coincidence, I'm not positive. I'll check my friends '08 and see if his serial number ends in 0 8.

You can also differentiate year models by the colors. I can tell an orange '07 from an orange '08 by the shade or orange used. The '08 orange is richer. My bike is more "terracotta" than orange. They also sold a bronze colored Orca in '07. Red was a new color for '08 so that's easy. The white is probably the most common and looks exactly the same for '07, '08 and '09 but you know the '09 frame is upgraded.
    2012 Orbea Orca Gold. SRAM Red, Rolf Prima Ares 4
    2007 Orbea Orca. SRAM Force, HED Ardennes
    2010 Masi Soulville. SRAM Apex, Ritchey, Fizik